Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater channel outlet question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

My 72 had these outlet doors, I could close them off and shoot everything up to the defrost. My 68 doesn't have these, it has the louvers (look like shark gills). I was going to cut openings in the heater channel to mount these, but I do not know whats inside. Can I cut openings and mount these, or is that only for the newer style channels?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

The 1968 Beetle should have a metal door that slides to close off the floor vent.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

The original heater channels were toast, I had to replace them. Do I have to fabricate a new door and a track for the door to slide in?
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

I guess I would try to replicate whatever the car had on it. It probably depends on what heater channels you installed. There are some very much not correct parts available out there.

The photo gallery has pictures of the door.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

Are you taking about a 68 or a 72? As previously posted the 68 had shark gills louvres.

Just so I understand. Are you trying to add these flaps to a 68 that has a non-shark gill heater channel added? That is, is it the picture you have posted as a '68? Or are you saying you have a '72 with a new heater channel without the openings?
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

There are some repro heater channels sold that have shark gills louvres and also the later model square "bump" near the front seats that can be used to accommodate most models. Then there are others that only have the bump. In any case the heater channels have the hot air pipe inside the heater channel. Just cutting into the side does nothing as the hot air is conveyed inside another tube.

Here's a picture of an original (but very rusty) cross section from a '68 before they were replaced. Note the tube inside.

Edit: I note that there are even some heater channels sold without ANY internal tubes as well.

bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

Thanks, its a 68 with aftermarket replacement heater channels installed. I have seen the cross section of a heater channel before, and mine have that inner channel. I am curious about how the end is fabricated. How the inner heat tube terminates, and the hot air exits out the shark gills without backflushing back towards the back of the car. I bought the heater doors last year thinking "hey our 72 had those" without knowing if installed, they will not do anything.
Marion, Iowa
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

bomberbob wrote:
Thanks, its a 68 with aftermarket replacement heater channels installed. I have seen the cross section of a heater channel before, and mine have that inner channel. I am curious about how the end is fabricated. How the inner heat tube terminates, and the hot air exits out the shark gills without backflushing back towards the back of the car. I bought the heater doors last year thinking "hey our 72 had those" without knowing if installed, they will not do anything.

It's hard to know what you have as a replacement unfortunately.

I went down to the garage and found the old heater channels and snapped a few photos. (Yes I was told never to throw away anything until the car is complete. It's hard storing stuff for 5 years. It ain't finished LOL).

This may not help you with what you have now, but this is how the original were. I assume any repros would at least try and emulate the originals, although we can only hope.

First and second photo shows the separation of the heater channel internal pipe at the defroster pipe section (top) and then the lower section going to the footwell gills. When you closed off the gills with the slide plate, the heat went to the defrost tubes. Mind you all of this is just folded metal with a few spot welds so I am sure there were air leaks but given the volume of air supplied from the motor, it was probably insignificant.

This next photo shows how the heater pipe terminated at the end of the shark-gills. It is the shape of one of those parfait ice cream spoons you see in fancy ice cream stores. In the photo the shark gills are removed as I reused them on my new heater channels which weren't quite correct.

The last two photos are from some new Dansk heater channels. I bought them but they were so far away from the originals, I resold them and bought Klassic Fab ones. One photo shows the rear outlet and the other one just an internal shot of how the rear pipe travels through.

The short answer is that you cannot use those heater flaps. You need to buy yourself a set of the heater slides and the zig-zag springs and the tab that the holds them against the heater channel as Q-dog has posted.

Hope that might help.
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: heater channel outlet question Reply with quote

Perfect! Nice photos, the plastic flap parts stay in the spare parts bin, and I look for the correct pieces. Saved me the trouble of cutting into my channels only to discover it wasn't going to work.
Marion, Iowa
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: