Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

brake drums don't fit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

I have a 1956 convertible and just went through all the brakes. On the rear brakes I replaced everything and even had the new drums turned. The emergency brake is off, the star wheels are turned all the way in, I've adjusted the new shoes up and down to center them, etc. Nothing looks unusual but the old drums and the new drums will not go on. I had no problem with the front brake drums but the rear brake drums will not go on. The only thing I think it can be is the shoes, but they seem to match the old shoes. Here is a picture of the rear brake. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Compare the new shoes to the old ones, I'll bet they are different

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

rs3 wrote:
I have a 1956 convertible and just went through all the brakes. On the rear brakes I replaced everything and even had the new drums turned. The emergency brake is off, the star wheels are turned all the way in, I've adjusted the new shoes up and down to center them, etc. Nothing looks unusual but the old drums and the new drums will not go on. I had no problem with the front brake drums but the rear brake drums will not go on. The only thing I think it can be is the shoes, but they seem to match the old shoes. Here is a picture of the rear brake. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It looks like the emergency brake is not complete off.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

I have had the exact problems you are having. My original VW drums measure well within spec, adjusters turned ALL the way in, verified several times that the emergency brake wasn't engaged at all. One thing I did notice is that with the new aftermarket wheel cylinders, the ear of the brake shoe is much wider than the wheel cylinder slot. I had to use a cut off wheel to massage the opening larger to accept the brake shoe so it would fully seat. The brake shoe material is extremely thick on the aftermarket shoes as well. You may need to arc the shoes to the drum to get them to fit if all else fails.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Just curious, are the shoes upside down? It looks like a lot of space at the top of backing plate. ?????

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Rear shoes only fit one way...the ebrake bar notches are at the bottom. The shoes look like there is space there because the wheel cylinder piston notches are angled, just like the adjusters. I ran into the same issues the OP is experiencing. Even fit up my old shoes and the drums slid right on. I think it's combination of aftermarket parts, and the linings on the shoes being too thick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

The right side shoe looks like it has thicker lining than the left side shoe.

Are you tapping the shoes up and down to get them centered as you are putting the drum on? It's probably just the camera angle but it looks like there is more space between the outer rim of the backing plate and shoes at the top than there is at the bottom.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

looks like the wheel cylinder needs to be pushed in. the e-brake push rod does not look bottomed out on shoe? did you de-adjust the e-brake adjustment? just grab the shoes near the bottom and push. if they go in your fine. if not the e-brake is adjusted too tight. everything looks right otherwise. but the gasket on the bearing cap looks ripped and pushing out on the top?
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

The parking brake shoe lever must be at least parallel to the bearing cover (and even more to the left).See red line.
Adjust both cables of the parking brake lever in the car so that they are more loose and try to install the brake drums over the brake shoes again.

Regards.

Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

I have never worked on a 56 convertible, but your backing plate is upside down. Every Bug I have removed the rear drum on had the wheel cylinder on the top. Maybe that would help.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

well you never worked on one that old I guess. they are on correct. the first time a put brakes on my 55 I tripped out. .I still say the e-brake is adjusted too tight. common mistake .the e-brake stops holding the car on a hill so they tighten the cables. when they should be adjusting the shoes instead. Wink
66 beetle
rs3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your input/suggestions. I know my bearing cap gasket is torn but I think the gasket is in place behind the bearing cap. It's new, so I'm hoping it doesn't leak. Maybe I should pull it off and replace the gasket?

I will loosen up my emergency brake cables inside the car so that the bar is vertical or to the left.
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
... the wheel cylinder on the top

From the model year 1958 (started in August '57) the rear wheel cylinder is at the top.

(@ VW Jimbo : your Bug 1954 must have the rear wheel cylinder at the bottom)

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

ya that is a good point. same as his 54? maybe he wasn't awake yet? I have done that myself. anyway I would change the gasket. why chance it. do it right once. looks like you did a nice job . no sense in making it a oily mess now.
Steve
66 beetle
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Ovally wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
... the wheel cylinder on the top

From the model year 1958 (started in August '57) the rear wheel cylinder is at the top.

(@ VW Jimbo : your Bug 1954 must have the rear wheel cylinder at the bottom)

Regards.

Mostly. My 58 Square window beetle leaving the factory August 2, 1957 has the wheel cylinder at the bottom.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

What years are your rear drums...

Only reason for asking this is for two reasons...

1, If you know, beyond a shadow of doubt, you are still on original drums, you may have a wear lip that can make it quite difficult to fit over the new shoes & would necessitate having the drums cut ... or at least the wear lip removed to allow them to slip back on...

...&...

2, if you have later drums, they may have the same wear lip issue as well as the back outer drums lip will need ~2mm material shaved off of the outer lip to allow them to seat all the way in without rubbing the original backing plates as well...

And yes, the brake cylinder indeed does go at the bottoms on the 1957 model year... top mount cylinders only started with the 58 (non-oval) model year backing plates...

Last edited by 0nebadbug on Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
qwerty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

might find some clarification here?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/berater_19.php
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Bentley claims the frame change for the new shorter brake cables started with chassis number 1604758 (August) and at that time they rotated the rear backing plates 180 degrees to accommodate those front-entering cables which would place the wheel cylinders on top.

Bwaz, does your 58 have those shorter hand brake cables which exit the frame a couple inches further forward than the Oval frames? How does your frame number match up with this Bentley information?

The next change according to Bentley, was chassis number 1673351 (October) where all the wheel cylinders, drums backing plates etc. were changed to to the later style which of course also has the top mounted rear wheel cylinders.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Thank you, all. I do not remember seeing the wheel cylinders on the bottom. Been 22 years, since I last worked on an Oval. There were 4 that I worked on at the independent VW repair shop I worked at. But man, I seriously did not remember that. Still don’t. Still have not removed the rear drums on the 54. Looks like I will not be too surprised now!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: brake drums don't fit Reply with quote

Just noticed the outer lip on the seal is not sitting correctly. You need to grease the lip before installing the collar and turn it while installing it. If the lip still folds in, you can take an automatic tranny seal setting tool, to get it into the correct position. Yellow circle.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: