Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No gears 88 automatic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Took off this morning started hearing some boinging vibrating noises (at first I thought it was outside or the radio). Pulled over, couldn't see anything. It was intermittent, more when I accelerated. I could feel a little vibration in the shifter.
Pulled up to a stop sign and all the gears were gone, revving but no motion, no reverse, 1st, 2nd. I am new to the water cooled automatic world. How bad is this? Suggestions for what it might be?
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Also transmission fluid ( I think ) on the ground. Not a lot. Could this be a leak, or broken line? Sorry if that's a dumb question.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Broken CV joint or the bolts backed out?
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Bolts backed out? Could you explain please?
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

If one of the CV joints became detached the van would not move. You'd need to have a look.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Agree with Mark. Get under there with a flashlight (no jack needed - just slide your head under for a look see) and see if the fluid came from one of the axles - specifically the rubber boots on each end.

If no, see where the fluid came from but that's likely suspect.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Check your ATF level, properly (see below) and report back.

Engine running.
Engine hot from 10 miles of driving.
Parked level.

kourt

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

a few things come to mind...

torque converter bolts or the torque converter. when the engine is idling, is the TC spinning in the bellhousing?

BiWerks Design, LLC
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

All good stuff. It's worth noting the TC bolts or flexplate failure wouldn't cause a fluid leak. And low tranny fluid won't cause a mechanical interference sound when it manifests a symptom - just loss of drive. Those are worthy checks, but if I were a betting man it sounds precisely like CV bolts coming out. Fluid is going to be the oil separated out of the grease pouring out from the loose CV boot onto the ground.

Kage?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Ok, Didn't see any fluid at the cv joints, parked pretty level and there was a lot of fluid on the flat plate at the bottom of the transmission. I was hoping to get it running enough to avoid towing so I added trans fluid - a couple of quarts (very slowly) with the engine running. Fluid was definitely coming out and gears would still not engage. It's hard to read the level on the stick, but I think it's reading full. It's kind of hard to tell the difference between completely full and totally empty. If it keeps leaking out, maybe I will be able to see the difference.
So I'm towed back home. And maybe hosed. At least for a while.
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Here is a pic, dark but you can see a drip coming from the rear center bolt.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

If a seal between the automatic section of the transaxle and the final drive section fails, you may get ATF being pumped into the final drive and then puking out the vent once the box overfills, while the automatic section runs too low on fluid to function. This doesn't explain your noise though.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Hmm. You need someone to take a quick look at the van. Just being direct here, but if you are unable to discern on an automatic trans dipstick whether it is full or empty then you may not have the skills to narrow this down. Probably a dozen Samba folks in Santa Cruz who could check it in 10 minutes or less. Perhaps you should change the title of your thread to include the Help in Santa Cruz or similar and see if someone can stop by on their way home from work or similar.

Now, I/we have no idea if you've overfilled the tranny such that it's pouring out the vent. The mechanical noise is still unaccounted for, and you did not say how you determined that the CVs were OK. They can still be the problem with the bolts sheared but the boot remains in place, for example.

On the tow, I hope they either flat bedded it, or the front wheels were on the ground. If they towed you with the rear wheels on the ground, you should mention that now.
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Maybe I should revise it to needs better glasses Very Happy . Direct is OK. When after wiping the stick as carefully as I could, it came back out seeming slightly wet but I couldn't see a point, past the round spot marks, where it changed. That seemed to indicate empty. I added fluid (about a qt) running the engine and after about 5 minutes checked it again. No change. Did the same, ran it for longer and still observed no change. I was concerned about overfilling. Either it was so empty that it would not register, or so full adding more wouldn't register either. Busy street and liable for a ticket so I decided to tow home - flat bedded.
My skills at checking cv bolts are probably not much better, I just looked at them as closely as I could and didn't see any fluid at all.
I'm still interested in seeing comments or ideas but I will try and change the title.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

kage wrote:

Here is a pic, dark but you can see a drip coming from the rear center bolt.

That's the final drive that's leaking.Should only be gear oil not red ATF. Reseal and repair I think. Have it towed.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

kage wrote:
Maybe I should revise it to needs better glasses Very Happy . Direct is OK. When after wiping the stick as carefully as I could, it came back out seeming slightly wet but I couldn't see a point, past the round spot marks, where it changed. That seemed to indicate empty. I added fluid (about a qt) running the engine and after about 5 minutes checked it again. No change. Did the same, ran it for longer and still observed no change. I was concerned about overfilling. Either it was so empty that it would not register, or so full adding more wouldn't register either. Busy street and liable for a ticket so I decided to tow home - flat bedded.
My skills at checking cv bolts are probably not much better, I just looked at them as closely as I could and didn't see any fluid at all.
I'm still interested in seeing comments or ideas but I will try and change the title.

What do you mean by "Direct is okay"?

Chock both tires on one side of the van and then jack the rear wheel on the other side up off the ground with the parking brake off and tranny in Park. Can you spin the tire? It should not spin even with a lot of force. If it does spin you have a CV that is loose from the flange it mates to.

Both the vent for the automatic section and the final drive section of the tranny are in the top of the final drive section so having ATF dripping off the final drive section doesn't tell you much.
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

I think you should flatbed it to a competent shop. Do NOT let a guy hook the front end and tow it on the rear wheels.

Being direct - if unflattering - but it sounds like you don't have the mechanical skills to DIY fix, or to test w/out possible further damage.

I'd never try to fix an A/T myself either, FWIW.

The A/T is usually very reliable on these vans, but it is not cheap to repair (usually) and cleanliness is a virtue.
kage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

I made a joke about Idaho Dougs comment. He said he was being direct, not a problem for me as I am certainly no mechanic. Thanks for your suggestion about the cv, that I can do.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

Got it. Listen, you will benefit here if you can follow directions and report what you see/find so you are on the right track.

Do as Wildthings suggests. I don't know what kind of jacks you have available, but just get one rear tire in the air and use a lot of power to try and spin a rear tire. Old clothes/gloves may help as depending upon your strength you may need to nearly hug the tire to put force on it. Don't worry, you cannot hurt anything, so perform a maximal force effort. Vehicle in park, something blocking the tires on the side you are not lifting and you only need to have the tire an inch in the air - lower is of course safer.Try both directions.
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: No gears 88 automatic Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Vehicle in park, something blocking the tires on the side you are not lifting and you only need to have the tire an inch in the air - lower is of course safer.Try both directions.

don't forget to disengage the parking brake. i've never forgot to do that *cough cough*

BiWerks Design, LLC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: