Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

mounting tires yourself
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
T3 Pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: mounting tires yourself Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642582&sid=ea3d92719e3f01ec5387aaee238c758f

The most important part in every vehicle is the nut behind the wheel......
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: mounting tires yourself Reply with quote

I have always successfully balanced the tires using a simple bubble balancer... until a recent set on a non-VW car had a vibration I could not get rid of.

I installed glass beads and all was well.

These are the ones I used:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06W2N5MTW/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanted to install through the valve stems rather than dismounting the tires.

The glass beads look to be about .03" and a valve stem opening (once the valve is removed) is .125" so it is easy for the beads to clog if counter-measures aren’t taken.

I read & tried several techniques. In the end, here is what worked for me.

I placed a Harbor Freight Triangle Detail Sander wrapped in a towel on the wheel and touching the rubber valve stem:

I made a tool from a bit of wiper blade stiffener and sharpened it to a point to unclog any log jams. A length of stiff wire may work just as well.

Now it’s ready to fill. They provide the tube and the bottle, the beads are fed slowly into the tube. Squeezing the bottle is neither necessary nor helpful.

Link

If you do not rush, the beads will not jam but if they do then the tool is inserted and twiddled until things free up and flow:

Link

If you take it slowly it goes faster (no log jams) and you can get all 4 oz in there in under 5 minutes.

A test ride indicated to me that the tires were well balanced and the tiny but pesky vibration I was getting at 50-60 mph was gone.
truckersmike
Elder Sambanite

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: mounting tires yourself Reply with quote

pathao wrote:
$0 bead breaker

And the winner is.....The small foot of the stock jack was perfect for breaking the stubborn beads on my 20 year old rotten tires. Looking forward to wrestling them off and installing new tread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: mounting tires yourself Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Busstom wrote:
I can post a picture if anyone is interested what one looks like .
Yes please!

Sorry I took so long! I had to cull through a couple of portable drives for these pics...

Anyhow, for this version, I made a couple of discs from poplar hardwood, this to raise the outer hub face of the wheel away from the Harbor Freight platen...you see, for polished or freshly powder coated wheels, you can avoid all contact with the outer wheel lip by mounting the tires from the backside, as the inverted rim illustrates in my photo...in this way, the tire is forced by hand over the first bead, then the second (backside) bead is installed with the duckhead, but if you scratch the rim, meh, it's hidden on the back. I also made one of these adapters for wide-5 early wheels, using a 5-130 to 5-205 adapter (there's a pic of the Wolfgang wheel adapter in my gallery, just not a pic of the tire-changing tool adapter, I can't find those...grrrhh).

Anyhooo, I hope this gives you some ideas to improve the tool. I don't use mine for car wheels anymore, just little trailer tires (as I mentioned earlier, I upgraded to a rim-clamp machine).

vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: mounting tires yourself Reply with quote

Very cool. Thanks for posting the pics!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: