Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:56 pm    Post subject: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I did a quick search by title but.....

Can a "lazy" or "marginal" brake light switch make it so the driver has to push the pedal harder than normal to light up the brake lights?

My brake lights work but I have to push the pedal "hard" to get them to light up. i.e. the brakes engage before lights come on.

With a volt meter connected to each switch:

one meter shows the switch closest to booster closing first. Both close.

Is that because that switch gets hydraulic pressure first? Or.....

Do I have a "lazy" switch? i.e. if I replace the switch further from booster will this help my brake lights come on "sooner"? (less pedal pressure)

Some time ago, I had the same "issue" on my '81. One switch had failed. Replacing it helped the brake lights come on "sooner".

Thanks

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

Often as the switches are failing they require more and more pressure to function. Might be time to replace both.

On another car with a similar switch I added a mechanical switch, this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E5DILY?psc=1...PDKIKX0DER

Just a simple bracket that allows the switch to be pressed when the pedal is at rest does the job.
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

Yes.
Recently while driving, i was told my brake lights aren't coming on. I checked this at a stop with my wife and it took her immense foot pressure to get the light to come on.
Went to flaps, grabbed a new switch, light now comes on as it should. $10 bucks and 20 minutes.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

Thanks much people.

Ok. I'll likely replace both switches. I can get my hands on some good quality new ones. (made in Spain IIRC)

At first I thought I was seeing differences in resistance between the two switches but then I swapped the meters and for some reason, they now show very similar resistances. Not that that really matters per se.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

this problem happens when the internal contacts get pushed further IN and then require more pedal pressure to make the contacts.
the 'cheap' replacements will do this after a hard/panic stop..

I've added a mechanical switch as well into the circuit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Thanks much people.

Ok. I'll likely replace both switches. I can get my hands on some good quality new ones. (made in Spain IIRC)

At first I thought I was seeing differences in resistance between the two switches but then I swapped the meters and for some reason, they now show very similar resistances. Not that that really matters per se.

Neil.

tighten just enough. tightening too much can crack the master cylinder since the threads are tapered...which seems like a bad/leaking switch.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

A $4 upgrade at most U-pull junkyards will get you the roof top mounted high mount LED stop lamp unit. Two phillips screws and its yours. Fits perfectly on Vanagon's rear roof edge with 3M double stick tape or screw it down. Worthy so you have that in case tail lamp wiring fails, or with a distracted driver behind you.

EDIT: Wups, would have been very helpful if I'd mentioned which car. So, all Suburbans, Yukons, and full size GMC/Chevy SUVs with the body of the 93 model year have a bolt on LED third brake light that's cake to grab. Pull some wire up out of the roof so you can easily splice it into your tail light wiring. Looks factory on my Vanagon.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader

Last edited by IdahoDoug on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

tighten just enough. tightening too much can crack the master cylinder since the threads are tapered...which seems like a bad/leaking switch.

I didn't know they were tapered threads. Makes sense as I recall there was more torque required on last few turns. I was careful not to torque them too hard.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Lazy" Brake Light Switch? Real Time Help? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
this problem happens when the internal contacts get pushed further IN and then require more pedal pressure to make the contacts.
the 'cheap' replacements will do this after a hard/panic stop..

I've added a mechanical switch as well into the circuit.

IdahoDoug wrote:
A $4 upgrade at most U-pull junkyards will get you the roof top mounted high mount LED stop lamp unit. Two phillips screws and its yours. Fits perfectly on Vanagon's rear roof edge with 3M double stick tape or screw it down. Worthy so you have that in case tail lamp wiring fails, or with a distracted driver behind you.

I've considered a third light or even a flashing third light, if that kind of thing even exists. Ironically, having to lightly pump the brakes to activate the lights probably got drivers attention (I watch how close they are). Then again gearing down can catch them off guard. Between cruise control and most people driving automatics some drivers pay less attention now these days; they're really used to seeing brake lights when a vehicle slows down. Years ago I'd had an idea to make an adjustable motion activated third brake light. It would come on after the regular brake lights did when the pedal was pushed harder. (more inertia forward would activate the third light switch). e.g. useful for drivers who ride the brakes then suddenly have to use them. [edit but I recall now that with a switch like that, driving downhill would be problematic LOL ]

Didn't know the failure mode of the switch. Helpful to know. I recall seeing posts here about adding a mechanical switch at the pedal.

I'm lucky to have a parts guy who is as particular as he can be about parts sourcing. The switches he has are purported to be better than some.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: