Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Big Brake Kit?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which Kit?
GoWesty
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
Burley
40%
 40%  [ 18 ]
SmallCar
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Other
22%
 22%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 44

SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

A few weeks back I took a trip up to the Tioga Pass entrance of Yosemite in my Van (1987 Westfalia). For those who are unfamiliar, this is highest highway pass in California and has over 3,000ft of elevation change over a short distance. The van made it up ok (in a low gear) but on the way down I started noticing a burning smell, and pull off to the side of the road. Upon exiting the van, I quickly determined the smell was coming from my brakes, and they had overheated. They were smoking a bit as well. I've decided I probably should invest in a big brake kit, but which one should I get?

Relevant Van Details: 1987 Westfalia. 1.5" lift, 16" GoWesty Wheels, Bilstein XHD shocks. I carry a bit of extra weight due to a aux battery setup.

My options appear to be

GoWesty Bigger Brake kit and Hub Conversion for $865

Burley Motorsports kits which range from about $950 to $1,050

Smallcar Performance kit for $950 and looks to be the same as Burley

Other?

I may also overhaul the back with the Gowesty kit for $295 or another brand, but this is about front brakes!

What is everyone's experience and advice?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Roll your own. Don't send them your hard earned cash, and definitely not SCP. Lots of options out there.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

https://epytec.de/en/brake-system/adapters/1101/br...ake-system
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Roll your own. Don't send them your hard earned cash, and definitely not SCP. Lots of options out there.

Shouldn’t forget the Vanagon venders keep the community going. They depend on us and we depend on them.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I went with the small car kit. My experience is that the general stopping power is similar, but without the fade on the back side of Tioga.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:

I went with the small car kit. My experience is that the general stopping power is similar, but without the fade on the back side of Tioga.

Looks like a decent install. The hubs appear to have been machined. Could you elaborate on that? Also I can see some bolt nuts. Did these require modifying the upright caliper bolt holes?

To the poll, I’d choose a caliper I could purchase pads and rotors from any parts house vs having to go back to the original vendor if possible.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

My vote is Burley. I have his on my '87. He was great when I had a question due to my stupidity...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

RoryGirl wrote:
Epytec kit with car-part.com (or wherever) Boxster S calipers and off the shelf Mercedes S-Class discs seems nice...they have other options

Has anyone tried this kit?
Had I known this existed I might not have built my own set up.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

vwhammer wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:

Good luck getting this in the US, they won't ship to the US or Canada last I checked. options seem to be, know someone in Germany or try your luck at freight forwarding third party.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Wowza, Epytec States side distributor? Me Like!
hdenter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

There is always the jag set up...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=459573

Hans
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:

Good luck getting this in the US, they won't ship to the US or Canada last I checked. options seem to be, know someone in Germany or try your luck at freight forwarding third party.

Hmm I do have friends in both Leipzig and Frankfurt.

I should probably see how my brake set up works first.

I do like the idea of the Boxster calipers.
Whats weird is I was just looking at Boxster calipers yesterday for an Audi TT brake upgrade and found a killer deal on a pair.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Igeo wrote:

Looks like a decent install. The hubs appear to have been machined. Could you elaborate on that? Also I can see some bolt nuts. Did these require modifying the upright caliper bolt holes?

To the poll, I’d choose a caliper I could purchase pads and rotors from any parts house vs having to go back to the original vendor if possible.

Mark- This is the hub provided by Small Car. No modifications were needed. Kit is bolt on.
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

All of the chooses work well. IMHO ventilated disc (i use EBC slotted and dimpled) are mandatory as are quality ceramic pads (EBC Reds are my choice). I bought my calipers from Burley a decade ago. Whoever you choose be absolutely certain of the origin of the hubs as some are repurposed. A last note: if the disc has 10 holes for the studs it has been repurposed.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Applause
https://www.vw-t3-bus-shop.de/en/4-disc-breaks

Ships to the US.

I believe he uses the Epytec adapters in his kits if you've a hankering for the 312mm disc. He also has an 288mm kit.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

you can buy brand new discs with 10 holes in them for stock Audis from the 90s'
Audi did this to minimize weight and heat transfer to the hub.
dgbeatty wrote:
All of the chooses work well. IMHO ventilated disc (i use EBC slotted and dimpled) are mandatory as are quality ceramic pads (EBC Reds are my choice). I bought my calipers from Burley a decade ago. Whoever you choose be absolutely certain of the origin of the hubs as some are repurposed. A last note: if the disc has 10 holes for the studs it has been repurposed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gilmore55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

I'm running the SCP setup & am very pleased. I converted the front to studs instead of bolts-would anyone know what MB steel rim fits in the spare clamshell, and over the Big Brake kit so I don't have to carry xtra hardware?
Tks-
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Which SmallCar brakes, G57 or G60?

I have a 15 x 6.5 Mercedes steelie for my spare with a 195/70R15 (I think!) tire on it that fits in the clamshell and over my G57 brake calipers.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
si2t3m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
vwhammer wrote:
RoryGirl wrote:

Well I guess they do ship on this side of the pond. Wink Been looking at different options, picked up a set of 4 Boxster S calipers, Epytec brackets for the front, turned down discs from a 2wd and will be going with the Epytec kit for Boxster rear calipers and added VW caliper for the handbrake.

76 Westfalia EZ30D
72 911 Targa
70 914-6 conversion
69 Ghia convertible
68 912 coupe
67 912/911 coupe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Which Big Brake Kit? Reply with quote

Van Cafe (old) G-57 kit same as Burleys I think. Added brass bushing stiffener kit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: