Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Converting from strut to beam front end
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadodave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

Hello!

So I had purchased a 71 bug some time ago, and finally got around to starting work on converting it to a speedster replica. So, imagine my surprise when I discovered the bug was actually a super beetle! (I had thought all super beetles had the extended dash, but evidently not so.) I am told that everything on a super beetle is the same as a standard bug from the "bulkhead" back, but in order to install the speedster body, I must change to a beam front end. My questions:

1) If I buy a Front Frame head replacement from Raybuck (or somebody), can it be welded on to the front of a super beetle frame, or is something else required? And,

2) Do I want a link pin or ball joint front end for a Speedster Replica?

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

Back in late 80's CMC had a conversion kit but of course no longer available. You can grind off the numerous spot welds and remove the Super's front assembly and then weld on the standard beetle replacement pieces that are readily available. You need the front frme head assembly ($230) plus the ball jointfront beam assembly with torsion bars, spindles and brakes (go disc). It has to be welded precisely though. I'd have a frame shop with a frame table do it. It might be worth having them shorten the frame too (even if you mark and cut where needed).

Be sure to sign up at Speedsterowners.com - for more Speedster advice.

Another thought is to go to with a CoolRydes front suspension

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/t-1-front-suspension.html
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

Pitty you bought the wrong Bug! Any chance the body as a whole is good enough to restore? If so someone just might swap you for a regular Bug chassis.

The Super Beetle is superior in ride and handling for a driver.
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

Read this thread for an idea of changing frame heads.

Mike T

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=611143&highlight=

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Bkhansen93
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

You can replace the frame head from a standard and put a beam on. My buggy is an SB with a transplant on the front. Not hard to do at all. Just cut everything off from the napoleon hat forward and weld the standard front on.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

I think ball joint would work better for your Speedster, easier to adjust camber
and simpler to remove leaves to soften the front end for the lighter Speedster body

Last edited by BL3Manx on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

See if you can find just a bare pan from an non SB car and when you cut the pan to shorten it use the front part from the second pan and the rear from the SB pan. Way easier than cutting the pan twice and getting 3 pieces lined up. Also much stronger. I've done a ball joint to link pin swap on a 71 pan and it's a lot of fitting and fabrication

brad
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
Back in late 80's CMC had a conversion kit but of course no longer available. You can grind off the numerous spot welds and remove the Super's front assembly and then weld on the standard beetle replacement pieces that are readily available. You need the front frme head assembly ($230) plus the ball jointfront beam assembly with torsion bars, spindles and brakes (go disc). It has to be welded precisely though. I'd have a frame shop with a frame table do it. It might be worth having them shorten the frame too (even if you mark and cut where needed).

Be sure to sign up at Speedsterowners.com - for more Speedster advice.

Another thought is to go to with a CoolRydes front suspension

https://www.coolrydescustoms.com/t-1-front-suspension.html

We have a front end that fits right on to the Super beetle bulkhead, no frame head change. and far better then any beam
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

But will that front end fit under the Speedster body?
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
coolrydes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Converting from strut to beam front end Reply with quote

Oh yeah!!!

COOLRYDES So-Cal CUSTOMS
MENDEOLA SUSPENSION
THE HOME OF STYLE AND PERFORMANCE
www.CoolRydescustoms.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: