Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuild or Replace Motor. Suggestions?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Rebuild or Replace Motor. Suggestions? Reply with quote

I hope it is okay to start a new thread. I figure this is a different topic, so different thread.

I have a 74 Super with a F0 block engine. When I look it up it says it is a 1300cc motor; however, it has a 200mm flywheel / pressure plate on it. From the power I was getting out of it I assume someone built it up to a 1500 or 1600, but I have not pulled heads to measure.

My flywheel came loose on the car yesterday (probably my fault for not torquing gland nut when I changed the clutch). So today I was checking end play, and there is a lot there. I was able to grab the main bearing and move it in and out a little bit. I was also able to turn it left and right a little bit. Point is it is moving and not stationary. So this means engine honing and rebuilding.

Without knowing what someone has done to this motor previously, I was thinking of trying to locate a 1600cc block/engine for the car rather than rebuilding this one.

Here is where I would like opinions. Should I mess with this motor or find another to put in the car? I rather not have to rebuild one, but I've been looking and really not finding any good replacements, yet.

What should I do? If it is to replace with 1600 block, does anyone know where I can find one in Western PA, Easter OH area?

Thanks
Frustrated in PA Bob.

Oh, I'd rather have a regular beetle, not a super, but this one is solid, no rust, interior like new condition. Hard to give it up.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or Replace Motor. Suggestions? Reply with quote

I really hate asking this question. What is your budget?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or Replace Motor. Suggestions? Reply with quote

I'd rather try not to spend more than a grand, but from what I see on complete turn key motors it is twice that much, or more.

vwracerdave wrote:
I really hate asking this question. What is your budget?
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or Replace Motor. Suggestions? Reply with quote

Before answering, I would open the case and inspect the thrust saddle area. Also, look under the oil cooler to see if a machinist left marks. Maybe the case has not been machined before and will take a cut with little loss. I know a good machinist in central PA if you are interested. He will machine the case and heads and give you everything you need for a rebuild for about 1200.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rebuild or Replace Motor. Suggestions? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
Before answering, I would open the case and inspect the thrust saddle area. Also, look under the oil cooler to see if a machinist left marks. Maybe the case has not been machined before and will take a cut with little loss. I know a good machinist in central PA if you are interested. He will machine the case and heads and give you everything you need for a rebuild for about 1200.

X2
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: