Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed? Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I wonder to know if someones knows if we should clean or replace any parts of the Propex heater after several years of working ?

I have my HS 2211 installed under my vanagon since 6 years and I experimented recently that my heater worked all night without stop, and increased the temperature from 40 F (outside) to 60 F, which is few according to my frequent pass experiences

More, I was used to stop the Propex in the middle of the nights, because the temperature was getting too warm, but not this time. Even more, this time the Poptop was down, so less heat loss.

Many thanks in advance for your comments

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

Martin, You should also contact Karl at Westventures. He is a dealer for propex and can answer your question.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

Great idea, Dave !
Many thanks
Martin

(brown/tan interior)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

Post your findings here if possible. I'm interested to hear if it's LP regulator pressure or something else.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

I would be interested as well.

I've got one under my van. Last weekend we camped and it unexpectedly got into the 30s. My propex really could not even take the edge off.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

I replaced my Propex HS2800 with a cheap diesel heater. I had no issues with the Propex but wanted to ditch my twin saddle tanks. I also did not like the huge temperature swing as it cycled on and off.

The Diesel heater fits the same footprint as the Propex, puts out considerably more heat, and is easier to fuel up. With a full season of winter camping of use, this was a good choice for my application.

Just an FYI.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

SycroJAel-
Can you post your build on that? I had it one time but can't find it. I have a syncro also and have been thinking about your diesel heater instead of a propex. I know that you did many tests, I just can't find the install write up. Thanks
Do you think the diesel heater would work with the MSR fuel canisters? I was told they would fit together and then I would be able to carry a few of those MSR fuel bottles.
https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-fuel-bottles/msr-fuel-bottles.html?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

topbud you can use the msr bottles
to fill your diesel tank for
the heater.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

TopBud wrote:
SycroJAel-
Can you post your build on that? I had it one time but can't find it. I have a syncro also and have been thinking about your diesel heater instead of a propex. I know that you did many tests, I just can't find the install write up. Thanks
Do you think the diesel heater would work with the MSR fuel canisters? I was told they would fit together and then I would be able to carry a few of those MSR fuel bottles.
https://www.msrgear.com/stoves/stove-accessories/msr-fuel-bottles/msr-fuel-bottles.html?

Yes, as was mentioned, you can use MSR fuel canisters to fill the tank for the diesel heater. Here is a link to the thread for my installation:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9184454#9184454

Cheers, Ron
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
Hi to all,

I wonder to know if someones knows if we should clean or replace any parts of the Propex heater after several years of working ?

I have my HS 2211 installed under my vanagon since 6 years and I experimented recently that my heater worked all night without stop, and increased the temperature from 40 F (outside) to 60 F, which is few according to my frequent pass experiences

More, I was used to stop the Propex in the middle of the nights, because the temperature was getting too warm, but not this time. Even more, this time the Poptop was down, so less heat loss.

Many thanks in advance for your comments

I'd recommend giving it a good cleaning with compressed air. I've seen a few where the duct routing wasn't done well and the heater fan was full of dirt and hair. You can verify regulator pressure using the method described here:
rverscorner.com/manometer.html
Pressure should be 11-12" while running. Also test the amp draw while running, it should be 1.9 amp. If considerable lower it would indicate a failing motor from dirt ingestion.

BTW, your local Propex guy - Frank Condelli - have you asked for his help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

Mike760 wrote:

I've got one under my van. Last weekend we camped and it unexpectedly got into the 30s. My propex really could not even take the edge off.

Are you using recirculated interior air of drawing cold outside air to heat? I've seen a few folks make that mistake. These are recirculating heaters.
The other things mentioned above if it used to be better. If you do have it pulling return air from inside as it should be, check that the ducts are still securely attached at the heater, and for good measure wrap the connection with aluminum tape. Also, if you have a poptop, and it's raised during heating and uninsulated - that's the same as trying to heat a house with the doors open.
The 2211 in my personal Westy will maintain 70 degrees down into the teens, all stock insulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Mike760 wrote:

Are you using recirculated interior air of drawing cold outside air to heat? I've seen a few folks make that mistake. These are recirculating heaters.
The other things mentioned above if it used to be better. If you do have it pulling return air from inside as it should be, check that the ducts are still securely attached at the heater, and for good measure wrap the connection with aluminum tape. Also, if you have a poptop, and it's raised during heating and uninsulated - that's the same as trying to heat a house with the doors open.
The 2211 in my personal Westy will maintain 70 degrees down into the teens, all stock insulation.

I am recirculating air from under the bench.

After reading another of your post, I am thinking it might be worth trying a new regulator since I still have the original.

Appreciate all your info!
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

Thanks Karl and all.

The Propex have been install by Frank Condelli, about six years ago, and i believe he did it properly.

Frank is far from where I am, so I haven’t write to him, yet, preferring this Forum for now.

My Propex HS 2211 have been install replacing the former stock Eberspacher using fuel, so the 2211 have been install using the stock duct and the stock floor step vent, seeing on Canadian model.

Following the reading of all your comments, now I believe it might be a recent problem occur or inside the box of the Propex HS 2211, or related to my propane tank arriving at the end (close to be empty soon).

Can I open the propex without fear, is it very simple to understand, what is inside, or complex and easy to break?

About the second option, the propane reservoir, could it be a problem with the regulator? Last time I replenish the reservoir, I only have been able to put 7 liters, instead of 10 liters as normal.

Thanks again to all.

Martin

(brown/tan interior)
Mike760
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:

Can I open the propex without fear, is it very simple to understand, what is inside, or complex and easy to break?

Martin

It's pretty simple. I replaced The blue plastic shroud on mine from shipping damage.
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed? Reply with quote

I would appreciate very much if you guys who have these Chinese diesel heater publish the brands you have used and links if possible. Thanks.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed? Reply with quote

Maybe take this question over the the Chinese heater thread instead of the OPS service question on Propex heater thread.

here's the link https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569

flyboyaviator wrote:
I would appreciate very much if you guys who have these Chinese diesel heater publish the brands you have used and links if possible. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flyboyaviator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed? Reply with quote

the only reason I posted here was because tow guys use them, so rather that get many answers from others like you I was really expecting some the OPs here.
on this tread

danfromsyr wrote:
Maybe take this question over the the Chinese heater thread instead of the OPS service question on Propex heater thread.

here's the link https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703569

flyboyaviator wrote:
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed? Reply with quote

Not quite understanding how you feel Chinese diesel heaters are relative on a Propex maintenance thread? Oh, I see, hijackers are already here. I guess I'll comment on the next Westfalia thread how much better my XYZ cheap camper is better. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Thread title: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed?
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient: maintenance needed? Reply with quote

happens all the time here (and elsewhere on the web)
post a question or a problem and by post 3 or 4 everybody is telling you how great their other XYZ is or how bad they heard that one time a friends neighbor's daughter had an issue and never to buy/use/sell/look at said widget

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Propex HS 2211 less efficient : maintenance needed ? Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

I definitely don't get this kind of performance from my 2211.

Can temp from the propex output in the the van be used as a diagnostic? Last weekend I read 180 degrees (about 60 degrees ambient air temp) using a few different thermometers. Does that sound about right or should the temp be higher?

For this test I adjusted the regulator to maximum (turned the adjuster all the way clockwise). I do need to make the nanometer.

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: