Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

floor pan accessibility when jacking car up
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: floor pan accessibility when jacking car up Reply with quote

Here in the next few weeks, I am hoping to paint the bottom of my floor pan with Rust Bullet. Since the bug is all together, and tilting it on it's side is NOT an option, I will be jacking the bug up as high as I can, and crawling underneath, from the comfort of my garage.

I have a friend that has a lift in his garage, but he is a good 45 minutes away and it's not exactly convenient for me to take it there. Mainly due to having to leave it there for 2-6+ hours till it's fully dried and ready to drive. I've pondered the thought of trailering the car out there, so I could leave it and come back home, till the next day. But it would be done, and I wouldn't have to worry about it again. At least not for awhile.

My jack stands go as high as 15-16" or thereabouts. Obviously, that's not really high. For those of you that have painted your underside with a brush/roller, while on jack stands. Has anyone used jack stands that go as high as mine? Was it very hard to do with the height restriction? What did you do to remedy the height restriction to make this process easier?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan accessibility when jacking car up Reply with quote

I cut up 2x4s and screwed them together and used them as bases for the jack stands. Need more height? Just add more 2x4.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan accessibility when jacking car up Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I cut up 2x4s and screwed them together and used them as bases for the jack stands. Need more height? Just add more 2x4.

that thought has definitely crossed my mind.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan accessibility when jacking car up Reply with quote

Use a full suit, that shit's gonna get everywhere & you're gonna end up with it in your hair no matter what you do. This is one of those places where gravity ain't your friend. Roll it too slow & it runs down the handle & drips down your arm, roll it too fast & it strings & slings.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan accessibility when jacking car up Reply with quote

that crossed my mind too. I could always go the brush route. Which is what I would most likely do anyway.
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: floor pan accessibility when jacking car up Reply with quote

It's fall swamp meet time again..... Go a hunting. We have a few tall pairs of jack stands, like 18 inches tall before I lift the center thing. We also found a set of ramps that put the wheel 17 inches off the ground for a bit more than scrap metal price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: