Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

When I was 16, I worked at a hole-in-the-wall pizza joint that quite a few kids from my high school worked at. One night after closing, a friend asked for a ride home. While it was in the opposite direction of my house by maybe 8 miles, it wasn't a big deal and I dropped her home. By now, this was around 2:30 am. As I left her neighborhood and got onto the street that would eventually lead to my house in maybe 16 miles in a Bee-line straight down the road, I came to the first stoplight. Nobody else on the road at all except the car that pulled up next to me on the left. Something made me look over at the driver. The guy was leaning forward in the seat, head fully turned to the right, staring directly at me with the freakiest looking full grin on his face that scared the absolute shit out of me. I tried not to react as I looked back ahead of me. The light turned green and I proceeded on, trying to act as calmly as I could. But this guy kept perfect pace with me no matter how much I sped up or slowed down. There were at last 8 more controlled intersections I had to pass before getting home and I prayed that I would't get stuck at any on a red light. There were absolutely NO other cars on the road. Sure enough, I got stuck at one. I tried to resist the temptation to look over, but I did again and it seriously looked like he was wearing a devil's mask, but it was just his contorted face glaring back at me with this crazy smile. Light turned green and we continued on, him keeping perfect pace with me. As I approached another intersection, I quickly turned right. He literally spun his car around in the intersection, tires screeching, and his Mazda wagon or whatever the hell that car was flew past me in the incoming traffic lane and he slammed it in park across my path and got out, coming toward my car with that crazy hair and look on his face. I was driving an old '61 Mercedes 220S with a column shift and I shoved it in reverse and nailed the gas. I could see him running back to his car as I got back to the same main road I was heading down and gunned it, flying through the gears on a friggin' column shift in an old Benz. I turned off my lights. I went down alleys and side streets until I finally got home. WTF???

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

6 months after putting in a lowered beam I heard something fall off at 60mph. I quickly realized that it was something to do with my steering. I could turn the steering wheel from 10:00 to 2:00 and the car stayed straight. I backed off the gas and let the car slow. I realized it was one of the M8 bolts between the column, the rag joint and the steering box. I carefully got the car to the side of the road and looked underneath and confirmed one of the bolts was missing. I tool a bolt off the header flange and put it in place. When I got home I jacked the car up and added locking tabs and red locktite to all the bolts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
zimblewinder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

As a young buck about 20yo, I was 4wding with friends in the Otway Ranges. We were coming very slowly down a fire track that was a long wet clay descent. Though I was on great mud tyres and diff locks all engaged the traction was eventually gone and I was in low reverse just ticking over to keep the slow slide that was happening straight down the mountain. There was no way to stop the slide, no trees or brush to aim for to stop the descent.
My friends decided to jump out the back windows (2 door range rover) and watched me continue down the slope. Further down, the track I was on dropped away into T- cutting to a perpendicular one lane track across the slope. The valley ahead dropped away very steeply across the road by about 150m and there were very tall mountain ash in the drop. I could see no way the car was going to stop and I had taken my seat belt off to jump clear. It was all happening so slowly. The rangie dropped down the cutting onto the road. I braked it over the edge. The drop was about 1m vertically and I could feel the back of the car lift off as the bull bar ploughed into the road. I was lying on the steering wheel. My friends who had jumped clear said they could see the gearbox and transfer case so the car must have been almost vertical. It pause on its way over and hung there. Finally it slowly dropped back onto the slope and I could then maneuver the rangie onto the cross track.

I turned off the engine, fell out of the door and had a very Pray very long sit down.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Other than when I felt brave enough to touch my girlfriend's knees and thigh for the first time, and she parted her legs, and my hand went up her skirt under under her knickers?

OK, how about the time the factory crimp clamp on my 1970's fuel hose on the outlet came partially loose, and raw gasoline was all over the left side of the engine compartment and distributor??? I was so scared of a fire or explosion, I just let it all evaporate before I would touch it.

One time returning from Las Vegas to Phoenix in same VW, then with 1835cc DP engine with single Weber. Co-worker was driving it, I was sleeping. He wakes me up, says "we're going 80mph", I say OK. He says "we're going uphill", I say OK. Then he says "my foot's not on the gas pedal", I say "not OK" so I tell him to shut off ignition keeping steering lock disengaged, and to pull over. Turned out that perfect condition of temperature and humidity (and maybe no heat risers on my CB intake manifold) had caused a bit of ice to form and hold the throttle arm engaged, easy fix.

Same 1970 VW, in 1980 or 1981 after spring rains elevated level of Lake Pleasant, girlfriend's family had an Easter picnic there. Well the dirt road was under the level of the lake, got through OK. On the return trip, got stuck there, engine still running, exhaust tip under water spewing exhaust bubbles, left it running. Some teenagers arrived soon after, and we lifted the rear of the VW and shifted it sideways a bit, and I was able to go in reverse to dry land. I chose then to go through a deeper place where the footing under the water looked sturdier, and then made it through.

In my 1988 Mazda truck, on a residential street came upon an Explorer in the roadway, stopped at a weird angle. So I stopped, put truck into neutral (Mrs. Cusser and my two daughters in the truck) and all of a sudden the Explorer starts coming fast at us in reverse, all 3 girls screaming, me with horn blaring. Yes, impaired driver (about 2pm on a Saturday afternoon) hit the front bumper edge of my Mazda truck (also breaking my parking light), and she had a 15 foot crease down the side of her Explorer, from before front door to rear of her rear door. Anyway, she agreed to pay my damages if I didn't call the police, and I foolishly agreed; my damages were under $50 as I bolted on a plastic bumper corner and a new corner light, but she refused to pay. When I demanded payment in person, she got a restraining order against me to keep me several hundred feet away from her, funny in many ways because I never would've recognized her anyway had she been standing next to me in a line at the store !!!

Same truck, leaving work about 6pm, dark, my headlights were on. Three lanes each way and 45mph zone. I have a green at the traffic light in the rightmost lane, going 45mph, some F-Tard from out of state decides to pull out from a stop sign and make a left turn from a hotel instead of going 100 yards east to a traffic light. There was a vehicle in the 2nd lane, so I couldn't swerve, he hits my truck in the bed just behind the rear wheel well, I thought I'd be a goner. I turn off, a co-worker I knew vaguely stopped and said he saw the whole thing, circle back, found the driver looking for his front license plate. He had called Phoenix police, they told him the location was in Scottsdale. He then called Scottsdale police, who told him location was in Phoenix (which it was). Anyway he asked me what my damages would be, I guessed several hundred dollars as my frame was not hit, and he said he had like $320 cash on him. I thought that was a little low, but I didn't want to deal with his Texas insurance, and thought asking him to go to an ATM for $100 more was more like extortion, so I took that. But when I saw his vehicle pull out from that stop sign, I thought I'd be dead. That was about 2006, and I still have that 1988 Mazda truck too.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

I was 17 & was the proud new owner of a '72 highroof. I parked it in a romantic spot by the lake, put it in first to keep it from rolling (since the parking brake didn't work.), left the ignition on to listen to Peter Gabriel on cassette & proceeded to pleasure the little redhead that had a streak of freak a mile wide who begged to be tied up in the back. Well, we got the Bus moving enough that it rotated the engine to the next firing position & for the first time ever, the Bus ignited the cylinder without coaxing the accelerator. The bus lurched forward one rotation, then, after a second or two, it found the next willing cylinder, and then another. The distance from the bed to the front seat never before seemed that far, but it was a race as the engine roared to life & close the 50'-60' to the lake. At what seemed like was much too late, I managed to jump on the brake pedal & stall it before my bare backside hit the vinyl.. While the front wheels were still on land, I was suspended out over the lake looking at nothing but water & the 8'-10' drop directly down into it.

Knowing that there was less than an inch or two of dirt & grass in front of the tires, I very gingerly put the beast into reverse & tried to start it and wouldn't you know it, it was back to it's old ornery self & had to coax it back to life while standing on the brake with my left foot.

I don't know which I miss more, the Bus or the girl. Sad

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I proceeded to pleasure the little redhead that had a streak of freak a mile wide who begged to be tied up in the back.

And I thought the 16-year-old I wrote about in the earlier post was horny !!! You win by a decent margin !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
I proceeded to pleasure the little redhead that had a streak of freak a mile wide who begged to be tied up in the back.

And I thought the 16-year-old I wrote about in the earlier post was horny !!! You win by a decent margin !!!

Bob Seger’s “Night moves” always conjures up memories of her, “I used her, she used me, but neither one of us cared...”. Best senior year ever, a VW bus & a kinky girl that wanted a ride in it every day.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:

I thought you were going to say you forgot to pull out

ahh...stories of a boy and his bus...

I had a GTI that..nevermind

this is about scary car stuff, so a friend og mine had just got his 16v GTI going. lot's of go fast goodies from that era. he brought me for a ride. we jumped on RT 2 west and he was hammering thru the gears. we were up over 120 for a bit and traffic got thick, slowed to about 45-50. he went to go pass someone and said "I have no steering"

I looked over and the steering wheel was spinning like the price is right. his face reminded me of John Candy's face in planes,trains and automobiles when he was going the wrong way on the highway.

anyway we were still going pretty straight, staying in the lane. he lifted off the gas and the car shot to the right. we bounced off the jersey barrier back into traffic. he goosed the throttle which sent us back to the right and we put that GTI right in between 2 jersey barriers and into the woods.

we weren't moving that fast but holy shit was that freaky. I never rode in another car he worked on. he was a DIY guy. turns out he had the column out and couldn't get the splines to line up on the rack with the cut out for the bolt to go thru so he just pinched the steering knuckle to the tip of the rack.

the slot on the rack shaft was a good 1/2" down from where he pinched it. anyway from then on I deemed him as a hack. crazy thing is he just had his daughter in that car (she was like 5 or 6 at the time) a few hours before the wreck

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Hah! That reminded of the time I was sitting shotgun in a buddy’s ‘78 Shitrocket while he was doing about 110 on 84 going through Newburgh NY as it just started raining, he asks me “what’s that sound”, I told him that it was his front wheel bearing. He then asked me if the wheel was going to fall off & I said no, but before I could finish my reply, the right front wheel locked up right as we got onto the Newburgh-Beacon bridge. All of the sudden, we start spinning while passing the cars doing the posted 40MPH. All we can see is bridge-cars-bridge-cars-bridge-cars-bridge.... we travelled almost the full length of the bridge (right about a mile) without touching a damned thing, stopping only about 100’ from the toll booths. I got out of the car, fell down due to being so dizzy & gave up my lunch. Shortly after that, I see all of the toll booth operators returning to their booths, they apparently saw us coming & hightailed it out of there. Moments after that, the track officials from both sides of the bridge showed up.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Buddy had just bought a Chevy short box 4X4 and had spent a day in the gravel pits climbing the piles of gravel. He was pretty pumped about it and the next day picked up my cousin and I for another romp in the rocks. All good fun until suddenly a hill he climbed two days previously seemed to be missing the down slope! He jammed on the brakes and there we sat with nothing but blue sky ahead of us. I looked out my window and there was no ground under the front tire on my side for about 50 feet. It seems someone had removed some gravel!

Now the truck could not be shifted into reverse because it was balancing on two diagonal tires and the frame was twisted enough to jam the shift linkage. My cousin and I had to crawl out my window, down the box side without falling and into the opposite rear corner of the box. By gently bouncing in the back corner of the box we got enough relief on the frame twist that Buddy could pop it into reverse. All turned out well and no damage incurred but the hill climbing was over for the day!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

No THE scariest, but one that has a picture. This is Mid 2010.

Bombing down some roads near Coral Pink, in Utah. The sand was tram-lining the car, and pulled it up onto the roadside berm before I could react. The tip-over was actually kind of fun. Everyone was harnessed in. The scary part, after the fact, was thinking about what would have happened if one of my kids had their arms outside of the cage (luckily they didn't.)

I was also a bit worried about gas somehow dripping on the hot engine when it was on it's side, and I had a fire extinguisher handy.

All worked out well. I got the car back on it's wheels. After a smoky startup from oil getting in two cylinders, the car ran great the rest of the weekend. The only damage was the tubing for the mirror mount.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Every time I let my wife drive..... Laughing
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

i missed the point of this topic.

Last edited by Zundfolge1432 on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Me thinks that you missed the point of the topic.

bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

A slow speed spin on ice going down a mountain road with shear cliff on side of road. did a 540 degree spin as I stayed on the road. I saw the face of death, it was ugly.

Then there was the engine fire, flames still there as the fire extingusher was losing pressure to the point it was almost empty. Last flicker of flame went out as the contents of the extinguisher went out. big pool of gasoline still present. That was a close one!

Laying under a friends car helping him remove the axle, in a 914 when axle dropped on the top of my head, grazing me. I had a concussion. had I been an inch or two more under the axle, my skull would have been cracked open, that axle left some big dents in the floor. Cheated death once again, barely.

Another Friend pulling a full gas tank from a 914 in his garage, he tears the fuel hose out and he under the tank is showered in gasoline, giant expanding pool of gasoline on floor as the contents empty with not one but two pilot lights near by. quickly shut off the gas supply to the boiler and water heater. Thought we would be attending our very own BBQ.

Then there where a few off angle 4 wd experiences. I have a tiltometer on the dash, at 30 degrees it seems like it was ready to tip over, had it, it was a several 100 foot drop off.

The last was with the train, the darn crossing gates went up, cars started across the tracks, then we hear this super loud emergency train horn, the car in front of me nails the brakes as a train blasts thru the open gates. To this day, I never trust them crossing gates no more, I look both ways before crossing a train track even if the gates are up.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Just us buses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Had a few scary moments but most (like the time I rolled a '61 ghia 'vert) happened so fast they were over before they registered. Some years ago a friend and I drove his early '70's Chevy 3/4T, 292 4speed 2WD truck and a tandem trailer with no brakes VW hunting. Bought a single cab in SE Ohio and went on south. In SW Virginia, where he had family, his uncle tells us of some VW's and we go looking. The road becomes gravel going straight up the hill and just dead-ends. He stops, nowhere to turn around and we start sliding backwards. Brakes on truck won't hold loaded trailer and we're picking up speed. Trailer jack-knifes, jumps the ditch and neatly goes between a tree and a utility pole. We're unhooking it to turn the truck around and this guy comes home from church to find us in his front yard. Same trip we're on some divided highway and the hitch ball comes off the truck and the trailer tries to pass on the right. Luckily we're in front of some little factory and the maintenance man comes out and fixes us up with a nut and washer and even tightens it for us.
Miklo
¡Chale!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

I have a bunch of stories... the latest.

In April a kid killed my old 66 Beetle while intexicated... Damn kids.

Now... I've dodged countless accidents in my Vws throughout the years, but you cant dodge them all.

That's the scariest part to me anymore. You can be the best damn driver in the whole wide world.

There's nothing you can do when it comes to other people. It can come at anytime and ruin everything in a split second.

Lucky I can write this cause i'm alive... and homies neck ain't wrung.

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

I've had several less than fun moments in vehicles over the years. The most recent was just a few weeks ago when the master brake cylinder on my 356 suddenly failed as I was exiting a freeway offramp at about 60MPH. Luckily there was no one immediately in front of me, I was able to pump the brakes enough for some pedal action, and by some miracle the light had turned green. I made kind of a hot left turn, caught the next light which was green, and limped down a frontage road to get home. I was doing about 25 MPH on a major street hoping I didn't hit or get hit by someone. I made it home but I think I ruined a pair of undershorts in the process.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Oh mannn....

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Scariest experiences you've ever had in your car. Reply with quote

Back in high school, a friend and I took his dad's DeLorean out on the interstate to run the car through its paces. We saw some serious shit when it hit 88 miles per hour.

Last edited by Gary on Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: