Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

There were a few people wondering about my switch from the Propex HS2800 9,500 btu to a 5kw 27,280 btu Chinese Diesel Heater. And why I switched. There is nothing wrong with the Propex. For our needs the diesel heater is our preferred choice.

We really enjoyed our Propex for several years. I mounted it in the Westfalia refrigerator cabinet. It was adequate keeping the van warm while we winter camped in the Rocky Mountains. I believe our coldest night was near Breckenridge at 10k feet and -08°f below zero. With the top closed we stayed warm. When we camp I usually take the upper berth and let my wife have the lower. It is considerably colder up above sleeping in a tent. Even with the Fanchers insulation kit. The Propex could still keep it warm but it cycled on and off a lot. The temperature swing between the cycles was wide and it would get really cold before kicking back on. Reason 1 to change. I also installed twin over sized GW propane saddle tanks to fuel the beast in the winter. More weight and it was difficult finding people that really knew how to fill the bottles. Reason 2 to change.

So I purchased the Diesel Heater online, set it up in the Garage, and ran it on high for a solid three days. Then tested it for several more days running 5 gal of fuel through it, cycling it on and off. So I installed it in the exact footprint of the Propex. The installation was simple and straight forward. I went through several fuel tank ideas and finally ended up fabricating an aluminum tank of 4 gallons. It is easy to fill, diesel fuel is readily available, and with a gauge I will never run out. Reason 3 to change.

I have slept in the van with the top popped at -3°f the diesel heater had no problems keeping the van at 70°f. Now that I have an insulated NAHT and have camped at temps in the 30°s, the heater runs on low and never did cycle up to keep the inside at 70°f. On low you can barely here it running. Much different than the Propex. Reason 4 to change. These heaters do not shut of but cycle down to a low setting. You can adjust the air fuel mixture to set heat ranges. I have seen the vent temp at 270°f when testing. I run a blend of kerosene and #1 Diesel 50/50. This should keep it from sooting up at low settings.

I am excited for some winter camping here in Utah soon.

Here are a few pics and videos of the installation:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A modified bend to divert the heat up while the lower berth is folded out.

Yes, this cabinet is still accessable, the vent tubing has enough flex to open it.

Making a drivers side filler was an easy way to fill the diesel tank.

This is hidden by a layer of Prodex. It is quiet running.

Link

A skid plate to protect the pump, filter, and front of the tank.

Link

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Very cool. Thanks for sharing your experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Where did you get the wildly optimistic '27280' btu figure? 5kw = 17K btu. Even that's almost twice the btu needed for the space. But perhaps those Chinese are fudging the btu / kw? Wink

Curious - why not pay for the quality diesel furnace with full warranty, support, and parts availability? Ya know, the ones these thieves stole the design of?
I have used the Espar units in no-propane vans, far and above one of the best, long-lasting, dependable brand. Their pricing is way more reasonable since moving production to lower-wage EU countries.

FWIW, The HS2800 outlet temp is 330 F, and with the new digital stat temp swing is 2 under set temp, one above.

I'll be curious to hear how well this functions at high altitude. Keep us posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Well you are looking at what, $150 vs. $1100, or close? I could buy 3 cheap heaters, keep two in storage and have all the parts and my own "warranty" replacement system, and have $100s left over for CV joints and tires!

I think Espar etc. are going to have to face shutting down or changing prices. Not enough people are going to pay out $1000+ to keep them running for long. The same thing happened to so many industries due to China ramping up quality and quantity on items like this. These heaters are well tested over the last couple years and are now being used by truckers and others by a seemingly massive majority lately.

You could compare something like flashlights to what's going on with heaters. Not so long ago you had Streamlight and Maglight and a couple others for bright lights. Now you have about 300 brands and they are just as bright or brighter than any of the so called high-end lights at a fraction of the price. The quality might be a little lower but so what when you can buy 10 lights and throw spares all over the place. Unfortunate I guess, but it's the way things are for now. I'm definitely not paying more than $150 for a heater, also because I don't need one that often anyway.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
Well you are looking at what, $150 vs. $1100, or close? I could buy 3 cheap heaters, keep two in storage and have all the parts and my own "warranty" replacement system, and have $100s left over for CV joints and tires!

I think Espar etc. are going to have to face shutting down or changing prices. Not enough people are going to pay out $1000+ to keep them running for long. The same thing happened to so many industries due to China ramping up quality and quantity on items like this. These heaters are well tested over the last couple years and are now being used by truckers and others by a seemingly massive majority lately.

If you don't care about quality and reliability, go for it. These heaters have NO safety testing or ratings whatsoever. My health and safety are worth a few hundred bucks more - and I prefer quality products over being a cheapskate. Add in the hassle factor if I'm camping somewhere where I really need the heater to function without worry or I'll die from freezing, well... The Espar D2 is $600 now - that's all it takes to heat a Vanagon. While you're at it, rebuild the whole suspension with Chinese copies of everything, Chinese Empi CVs too. Then add a giant cargo box to carry spares of everything you replaced with Chinese parts. Why not some good Chinese tires too? Laughing

NO, Espar and Webasto aren't going out of business. NO manufacturer is going to install Chinese heaters in factory built campers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing these details.

Quick question - what about using a gasoline(petrol) heater such as this one? Are-they not as powerful as diesel? You wouldn't need to install a new tank.

https://www.heatso.com/webasto-air-top-2000-stc-gasoline-petrol-12v-heater-kit/
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:

I'll be curious to hear how well this functions at high altitude. Keep us posted.

I tested it at 10,000ft a few times. I have an air fuel mixture setting for high altitudes that works well. We have also camped at altitude with no issues.

Again the Propex has served us well over the years. But at this price I had to try a diesel heater. From my research the UK brands have some of the same issues as the knock off ones. It’s all about how much you want to spend and how well the product works.

Yes the 5kw heater is an overkill for our vans. Until you are camping in the negative zero range. I’d rather have some extra heat than not enough. It can be set for 8kw if you want the added heat. That’s the 27k btu I stated above. It would put out a vent temp in the mid 300° f range.

Sorry to ruffle some feathers, but these are my experiences.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

SyncroChrick wrote:
Thanks for sharing these details.

Quick question - what about using a gasoline(petrol) heater such as this one? Are-they not as powerful as diesel? You wouldn't need to install a new tank.

https://www.heatso.com/webasto-air-top-2000-stc-gasoline-petrol-12v-heater-kit/

I stayed away from the petrol heater due to the volatility of gasoline.

I will add that the Propex exhaust runs cleaner using propane as fuel. You will get some diesel fuel smell on startup and shutdown of a diesel heater. But it’s not much different than the smell at the airport around jets.
candyman
Samba Trout Slayer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

I also dumped the propex for these chinese diesel heaters last winter. Like Ron, I wanted to get rid of my two propane tanks. PITA getting them filled, never know the gas level, i do a lot of off road travel so having them under the van always sketched me out, plus I eliminated the possibility of propane leaks. I have 1# refillable propane bottles for the stove which we only use to boil water. Our fridge is a TF65 which is the best of the best! FWIW, the propex heated great. However, the constant cycling was super annoying and like what Ron mentioned, the temp swing between cycles was crazy.
My experience thus far with the diesel heater has been excellent. I have over 200 hours on it and it has been flawless. I run straight kerosene as I hate the smell of diesel and have no issues of sooting whatsoever. But it can run on red diesel or regular highway diesel, or a blend of these. Cheaper to run and easier to fill and can see the level of fuel. On low it draws .6 amps measured and uses .10 liters of fuel an hour. On start up it does draw 9amps but for only 2 minutes so its not an issue.
I have two complaints. even on low it gets the van very hot! So we sleep with windows open to keep the van temps under 70*, unless its below 30*s outside. It does not cycle on and off and the constant soft sound of the fan is pleasant and barely audible. Second complaint, the fuel pump ticks and can be heard. This can be annoying if you are a light sleeper. I have the pump installed under the van tucked in a safe place suspended by rubber straps to keep the sound as low as possible but I can still hear it, my wife claims she cannot, but for me its like a scene from the tell tale heart. fortunately we also sleep with a fan on even in the winter as we need that constant white noise, and that covers up the sound of the pump, so problem solved.

Cost about $100 on ebay. I have bought several as spares and have even installed one in my garage. I have upgraded the controller so I can adjust the settings for altitude and it even has timer settings to go on in the morning and evening at set times if you wish. Also there is remote that I use to turn it on from my house in the mornings if i need to.
In response to the espar and webasto price tag, there is a EU Class action suit against those two companies for price fixing, so what does that tell you https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/cl...ettlement/

In conclusion, figure out whats best for you. Propex is great served us well, but I prefer the this route and am very satisfied with my decision. Like anything, there are pros and cons so best to do your own research. There is a very active and very large facebook group dedicated to these heaters, so any and all problems and solutions have been discussed there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michaelbteam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for sharing. Might inspire me to finally make a move.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

I've just today installed a 2kW Chinese knock-off. Runs a treat. Total cost including a different fuel tank, an extra length of exhaust tubing and a spare glow-plug was $180. Total time taken testing and fitting (it is now under the bench seat) was two days. The UK folk have been all over these things, and rate them highly. They work up to very high altitudes as the fuel/air mixture can be tweaked. The trick is to read the files and FAQs beforehand to know how and when to change settings if necessary.

We had originally dreamed of getting an Espar or Webasto - but the money they were asking for a pretty basic bit of kit designed years ago was consistently outrageous for what they are. These are not luxury or new technology items these days - it's not as though they bring out 'new, improved' models every year like top-of-the-range mobile phones or laptop computers. These heaters are the $10 Nokia 3310 equivalent.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
it's not as though they bring out 'new, improved' models every year like top-of-the-range mobile phones or laptop computers. These heaters are the $10 Nokia 3310 equivalent.

If you haven't followed Espar I guess perhaps you wouldn't know. The new brushless motors and automatic altitude compensation, quieter running, are def. improvements. Materials and electronic components are far superior. In my eyes a quality product is going to last 10X as long and I won't have to worry about keeping a spare one around when it dumps a couple years in. And, they don't give out silly information that you can turn up a '5Kw' heater to magically produce 60% more than that, not that they actually DO even produce 5Kw.
erikgundy98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Would love to see a link to the "cheaper" Espar heaters that have come down in price.

I want a heater, also want to support the company that actually made it.... not the knock off.... but only see $1200 ones

Thanks!
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:
Would love to see a link to the "cheaper" Espar heaters that have come down in price.

I want a heater, also want to support the company that actually made it.... not the knock off.... but only see $1200 ones

Thanks!

Got one sitting in the box next to my desk. Paid like $160 for it new off of amazon.

I'll let you know how it goes.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

erikgundy98 wrote:

Thanks!

I understand exactly what you asked for. Wink

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eberspacher-Airtronic-D2-...2586466788

And the Webasto gas / petrol model, which makes a lot more sense than a diesel in a gas vehicle:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Air-Top-2000-STC-...3640215495
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
erikgundy98 wrote:

Thanks!

Got one sitting in the box next to my desk. Paid like $160 for it new off of amazon.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Think he's looking for the Russian ebay links for Genuine stuff

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eberspacher-Espar-Airtron...2838228259

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Air-Top-2000-STC-Diesel-12V-air-heater-FULL-set/112633881214

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Webasto-Air-Top-2000-STC-12v-Gasoline-air-heater-Full-set/112763665456
HBB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:
Yes the 5kw heater is an overkill for our vans. Until you are camping in the negative zero range. I’d rather have some extra heat than not enough. It can be set for 8kw if you want the added heat. That’s the 27k btu I stated above. It would put out a vent temp in the mid 300° f range.

Sorry to ruffle some feathers, but these are my experiences.

My understanding is that, at least with the Espar units, you don't want to get one that is over-sized, because it will be more likely to have issues with soot. I guess the thinking is that you don't want it sort of idling along, but instead want it to be running hotter, which apparently results in a cleaner burn. So, the conventional wisdom is to go with an Espar D2 for a Vanagon rather than a D4.

Have you looked into that issue with the Chinese unit? Just curious if the sizing issue is something unique to the Espar design, or whether it is an issue for all of of this style of diesel heater.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

I do understand that Webasto, Eberspacher, and Planar have been producing these heaters for years. There are some videos on YouTube showing the construction differences between Chinese heaters vs these. I will agree the visual fit and finish inside the unit is not as refined, but then for the amount of money saved and the same results in the end. Reliable, safe, heat.

Link

Here is a site to learn more: https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024/

Just like anything else, the materials and labor, used to construct "anything" is being produced overseas where it is "cheaper". In many cases we think we are purchasing Genuine Parts for our vans, but they are really being manufactured somewhere else. China, Taiwan, India, etc.

Here are a few other interesting things to be found. https://faroutride.com/webasto-vs-propex/

Again, I am not knocking any of these products but wanted to post this for information and the differences in these heaters, regardless of where they are manufactured.
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

HBB wrote:
My understanding is that, at least with the Espar units, you don't want to get one that is over-sized, because it will be more likely to have issues with soot. I guess the thinking is that you don't want it sort of idling along, but instead want it to be running hotter, which apparently results in a cleaner burn. So, the conventional wisdom is to go with an Espar D2 for a Vanagon rather than a D4.

Have you looked into that issue with the Chinese unit? Just curious if the sizing issue is something unique to the Espar design, or whether it is an issue for all of of this style of diesel heater.

Yes, you do not want the unit to run on low all the time. It will soot up. I have been burning a 50/50 blend of Kerosene and #1 Offroad Diesel Fuel. My unit has of yet never had a sooting issue. And it does run on the low setting much of the time. But I did some reading and have the air-fuel mixture set to burn very clean with minimal emissions.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

[quote="erikgundy98"]Would love to see a link to the "cheaper" Espar heaters that have come down in price.

Thanks![
This link will explain another reason why they're so expensive

https://www.reuters.com/article/eu-cartel-heaters/...0T20150617
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: