Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Perhaps we should be continuing this discussion in the existing comprehensive thread ?

Laughing

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=480
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Gnarlodious - ok - I think I get it. The soot build up would happen in the combustion chamber, which I guess is not really easy to service at all.

As for the glow plug question - I misunderstood initially, and thought that maybe the sooting happened on the glow plug, and that all you needed to do was replace the glow plug.

For others - I'm not trying to argue whether or not they soot up, I'm just trying to understand what it means if they did soot up.

Westyventures -
I see your point about gasoline vs diesel vs kerosene. I imagine they are all volatile to an extent, and I've already got gasoline in my van - why add another fuel source?

So my thoughts - I like the idea of not having to add another fuel source, a heater that runs constantly going up and down, instead of one that cycles on and off, one I can use while driving and one that I can add some additional controls if I want.

The diesel heaters sound great - except for the additional fuel source needed.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

I bet you'll like that Webasto. It is super nice to have the ability to warm up the Bus and climb in and hang out! The wife certainly likes it, which makes it easy to talk her into camping trips.

Went camping with some buddies a couple weeks ago, and it was real cold the first night. So we fired up the heater and hung out inside the bus and played Phase 10. (A sure way to get ME fired up, especially if I've been drinking a little!)

You might not *need* a heater to go camping, but if you want to go camping in colder times, why *not* have a heater??

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davlance01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

Just FYI, driving a 2016 kenworth t680 now with a espar heater in it that doesn't work and all I have is a explanation point saying there is something wrong but that is it.

Works off of the $10k dollar thermo king apu that is crap too. I can't wait to see the bill to get this all working right.

These Chinese heaters are just as good as the expensive stuff, yah they both break but at $200 vs $1200 I would much rather pay for the $200 replacement.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

kguarnotta wrote:
Westyventures -
I see your point about gasoline vs diesel vs kerosene. I imagine they are all volatile to an extent, and I've already got gasoline in my van - why add another fuel source?

So my thoughts - I like the idea of not having to add another fuel source, a heater that runs constantly going up and down, instead of one that cycles on and off, one I can use while driving and one that I can add some additional controls if I want.

The diesel heaters sound great - except for the additional fuel source needed.

Yeah, thanks to Karl, I sprung for the E-Bay gasoline-fired heater that he also bought. I like the idea of not having a 2nd fuel tank, although if there was a great place for one, that would not have been much of an impediment.

Due to east coast salt, I don't camp too much in colder weather. However, last Sept we had mornings that were 40 deg. My wife was, somewhat surprisingly, cold - I think because it has been so much warmer a week or 2 before. I don't picture running this at night, just in the morning and evenings, but if we can keep the van at 50-60 at night, I suppose we just might do that at times.

I am hoping for fall desert (Utah) trip in 2020, so it appears that it might come in handy at night then. I know I have been in Arches with ice at night and 80 deg during the day in April.
Bottom line, is that I am not too worried about this reducing the fuel tank all that much,(as some have stated) but it will ruin my gas mileage calculations- ha!
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chinese Diesel Heater vs Propex - the Differences Reply with quote

davlance01 wrote:
Just FYI, driving a 2016 kenworth t680 now with a espar heater in it that doesn't work and all I have is a explanation point saying there is something wrong but that is it.

Works off of the $10k dollar thermo king apu that is crap too. I can't wait to see the bill to get this all working right.

These Chinese heaters are just as good as the expensive stuff, yah they both break but at $200 vs $1200 I would much rather pay for the $200 replacement.

I've got a box of new Meyle parts you might be interested in for your van!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: