Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:06 pm    Post subject: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

Hey all, first post here on TheSamba so please be nice Very Happy I have a 1976 Mexican Beetle and today I was doing some misc. tuneup work Very Happy But when I went to change the oil I noticed that the oil drain plate looked like it had scraped on something and was all f@#%ed up! The outer lip was bent around 3 of the nuts so I couldn't access them with a socket and 2-3 of them were just filled in with what looked like silicone??? Oddly enough it doesn't leak oil Laughing and actually runs pretty good! Will I have to take the engine apart to fix this or do you lovely VW people have any alternative suggestions (tap a drain plug?)

I don't really have the time or space right now to drop the engine and take it apart (and I'd rather not pay someone else to do it...where I am now honest mechanics are very very scarce)...looking for any and all suggestions! Ugly is ok as long as it works! Down here Beetles are still very much working cars- my Beetle ain't no show car, I just need her to work!

Love the forum BTW! Y'all have been super helpful with me getting my girl back on the road!
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

Any pictures?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113115179

The part is available new or used. You need to remove the damaged one. Try an open end 10 mm wrench if you can’t get a socket on the nuts. Hopefully the studs are undamaged. The threads can get stripped out pretty easily if the nuts have been overtightened. The drain plate and strainer need to be straight and flat so that they will seal with the two gaskets. Shouldn’t need silicone for a leak free system.
Post some pics if possible.
DesignBuild
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

You indicated you are way down south? Where might you be? If you are in the Houston, TX vicinity, there are many that could help you.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

DesignBuild wrote:
You indicated you are way down south? Where might you be? If you are in the Houston, TX vicinity, there are many that could help you.

“Mexican Beetle”, “down south”, “down here Beetles are still working cars”. I’m thinking the OP is further south than Houston.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
d2305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

You could try an extractor to do oil changes until you figure out how to repair it.
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Any pictures?
I'll try and get one or two today...can't make it to the lot til 12 or so
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

“Mexican Beetle”, “down south”, “down here Beetles are still working cars”. I’m thinking the OP is further south than Houston.[/quote]

Yep, I'm living in the wild and wonderful CDMX!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

TheFolksBackHome wrote:
do you lovely VW people have any alternative suggestions (tap a drain plug?)

Obviously the poster is directing his question to me.

I'd buy a cover for an earlier beetle that already has a drain plug, and install that cover any way I could get it not to leak. Because you'd drain through the new drain plug, you really wouldn't have a way to clean the screen, so I'd get an external oil filter or a combination Maxi2 pump/filter from CB Performance. I have those Maxi2 units on both my VWs, and the oil screen stays so clean that I don't look at that for YEARS.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297

Last edited by Cusser on Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113115179

The part is available new or used. You need to remove the damaged one. Try an open end 10 mm wrench if you can’t get a socket on the nuts. Hopefully the studs are undamaged. The threads can get stripped out pretty easily if the nuts have been overtightened. The drain plate and strainer need to be straight and flat so that they will seal with the two gaskets. Shouldn’t need silicone for a leak free system.
Post some pics if possible.

Thanks so much wayne, I'll see if I can swing by my local VW parts guy this week. Having a normal drain plug sounds so much easier than having to deal with all those + gaskets every oil change! (but I'm a VW newbie so...)[/quote]
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TheFolksBackHome wrote:
do you lovely VW people have any alternative suggestions (tap a drain plug?)

Obviously the poster is directing his question to me.

I'd buy a cover for an earlier beetle that already has a drain plug, and install that cover any way I could get it not to leak. Because you'd drain through the new drain plug, you really wouldn't have a way to clean the screen, so I'd get an external oil filter or a combination Maxi2 pump/filter from CB Performance. I have those Maxi2 units on both my VWs, and the oil screen stays so clean that I don't look at that for YEARS.

You know I was wondering about that...I wasn't sure (because I've never seen it in person Laughing Laughing ) how necessary cleaning that screen was if I had an external filter...I think my parts warehouse has a good amount of the Maxis so I might go that route
73SlowBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

Since i installed an oil filter, there has never been any thing at all on the sump screen. I don't check it at every oil change any more. It's always nice and clean. I check it every other oil change or once a year to make sure everything is still pretty.
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

d2305 wrote:
You could try an extractor to do oil changes until you figure out how to repair it.

I might actually be getting one...I have a (as yet unsupported by concrete evidence) hunch that I'll have to clean the gas tank...maybe I'll just bite the bullet now and pick one up.

God bless a Beetle! Mine's old and cranky, but at least I can get to everything that needs fixing! I'm having a great time! Laughing
TheFolksBackHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

73SlowBug wrote:
Since i installed an oil filter, there has never been any thing at all on the sump screen. I don't check it at every oil change any more. It's always nice and clean. I check it every other oil change or once a year to make sure everything is still pretty.

Beautiful. Very Happy
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

d2305 wrote:

This is all I use since I got tired of finding nothing in the screen. I just slant the car back toward the right rear dipstick and extract it out. Once you get the plate settled and leak-free, it sucks disturbing it every time you need an oil change even with silicone rubber gaskets, or whatever.

I use the Pela 6 Liter extractor. An oil change takes 4 minutes and no mess.
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

I'd go the extractor pump route until I had the time and resources to deal with the unknown damage. You could buy a pump or make one. I made one.

I needed a way to discreetly change my engine and air cleaner oil on long trips usually at campgrounds. I use plastic tubing down the dipstick tube while the pump works in the cab filling an empty plastic gallon water jug. It works on 12vdc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No telling what damage you may have there. And yes, I take the waste oil home with me.
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Drain Plate is an Absolute Mess...Weighing My Options Reply with quote

goober wrote:
I'd go the extractor pump route until I had the time and resources to deal with the unknown damage. You could buy a pump or make one. I made one.

I needed a way to discreetly change my engine and air cleaner oil on long trips usually at campgrounds. I use plastic tubing down the dipstick tube while the pump works in the cab filling an empty plastic gallon water jug. It works on 12vdc.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No telling what damage you may have there. And yes, I take the waste oil home with me.

That looks cool. It'd be handy for siphoning out fuel from rich kids cars too I'll bet.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: