Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

John deere 950
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: John deere 950 Reply with quote

Anyone ever do a brake job on a 950 tractor?
How hard was it ?
Any tips or tricks?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

should just be able to remove the covers and get at everything ok. should have S cam style brakes if my memory serves me.

if you go on JD's parts site, it should give you a breakdown of what you'll be up against.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

should look like this

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

Thanks looks like i do not have to pull the wheels, calcium filled heavy mothers.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

We just did brakes on our two 650 (Japanese) John Deere's.

The 650-1250 are basically the same tractor family made by Yanmar and sold by Deere 1981-1988. And are some tough yet simple little tractors.
Never use starting fluid on a Yanmar Diesel... my brother killed my Pops 650 just because he didnt want to jump it off one cold winter day.. Mad
Broke the ring lands and bent a connecting rod on one cylinder.
In framed it in less than 8 hrs Wink

The rear brakes are fairly easy to replace on these. We did have to remove the rear fenders on the 650 to pull the brake apply cover which contains the shoes.

Check the drums closely. The brake surface needs to be SLICK and SMOOTH. Any rust and pitting will wear the shoes to nothing in a days working it.. They can not be resurfaced if pitted deeply. Simply not enough meat vs shoe apply from the S cam. We had to replace both drums on one tractors ..and felt lucky to find some good and used condition from "Farmer John" on the web.

Make sure the brake apply cover is sealed. If the gasket breaks.. dont scrape it off.. or simply leave it on the cover or axle case in the removed condition and use RTV to seal it completely during reassembly. It keeps dirt and moisture out of the brake system.

Hoyle Tractor in Texas has helped up with parts over the years.
FeEbay as well.

Id be happy to know of other good parts supply sources for this series of tractors.

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Id be happy to know of other good parts supply sources for this series of tractors..

man, I was just going to suggest Wonsidler bros in PA. those guys could get anything...

looks like they are no longer in biz Crying or Very sad

Link

sad...it's been a couple years since I have blown anything up, so I haven't dealt with them. I was going to post a link and my heart sank when google said "permanently closed" they were THE BEST to deal with. they were old farts 20 years ago...knowing them, they were shitting their diapers and passing the polydent around at the shop while selling parts. sad...they were super helpful and always took the time to give advice (weather you wanted it or not) on every sale.

another piece of history closes, and the information they had is only out there to people they passed it on to.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

Sad... that problem of good old places closing is becoming more prevalent each day.

So many old semi truck junk yards in our area we used to source regularly are gone now..

The Interweb has killed a lot of parts scavenging places for old good used parts.... and the Bic lighter syndrome is fully in effect now... throw it away and buy a replacement.

The few of us that remain that keep their old equipment alive... are also disappearing..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys will look into sourcing parts soon, some one has already been in there based on the rtv squeeze out. Which sealant is recommended ?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

The few of us that remain that keep their old equipment alive... are also disappearing...

yea...lots of local idiot hipster farmers are having issues with tier 3-4 diesels. SCR not running, tractors in limp mode....too funny. some are willing to spend the $$ to rehab an older one.

cheaper to design a cab, add heat and a/c for the reliability of these old girls. add to that the R2R movement...poor bastards have to buy pirated SW to diag/add hall sensors to hay bailers now. unreal....

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
The few of us that remain that keep their old equipment alive... are also disappearing...

...too funny. some are willing to spend the $$ to rehab an older one. .

Two cycle Jimmy life forever... Wink
Only need a starter and a battery..
Air starter.... don't even need that.

They will run 365 days a year at full throttle.

I'm a believer ..

Damn EPA..

calvinater wrote:
. Which sealant is recommended ?

Id just go Permatex Gray.. nothing special

Usually and often edited
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Thanks looks like i do not have to pull the wheels, calcium filled heavy mothers.

I know nothing runs like a deer, but I know little else of tractors, so what is a calcium filled wheel?

thanks!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

Adds weight to the rear tires for traction.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
calvinater wrote:

I know nothing runs like a deer, but I know little else of tractors, so what is a calcium filled wheel?

thanks!

Calcium chloride/water solution pumped into the inside of the tire tubes. Very heavy, doesn't freeze in the winter and eventually rots out the rubber and the rims. I can post pictures of rotted out rims if you like.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: John deere 950 Reply with quote

Nope got one going bad now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: