Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Horns?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Horns? Reply with quote

In some countries a horn is used more than the signal lights or even the brakes. Not so in our part of the world and I have very rarely used one but... they are required equipment by law. At present we have none and one day the issue will come up by either an officer of the law or our insurance company.

So... What are you using for a horn on your Buggy?

Ours came with one of those "ARUUGH - ARUUGH!" things that I personally dislike and thank goodness it did not work or the wife would have made me keep it! My feeling is that a Buggy, being a unique vehicle deserves a unique horn. A stock Bug horn is of course period correct but maybe a bit - dull?

I have toyed with the idea of a pair of air horns off a Kenworth but where to mount them and not be hanging out in the wind? A few years back I bought a set of small airhorns complete with a little compressor from the local NAPA store to put on my daughter's '92 Jetta. Quite frankly I was disappointed in the sound. Not much different than regular horns.

Then yesterday Sandra was in the city shopping in a junk store -- oops -- I meant antique store -- and she found this...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a wee bit big but mounted down at the bottom of the windshield frame...

I am so impressed by both the sound and the volume! This baby sounds very much like a singe from a Kenworth and is almost as loud!
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

Hopefully, it's going on a Bugatti, MGTD, Gazelle or Frasier Nash? It would look rather out of place on a more modern car.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

When I was doing my restore a fellow gave me a set of these... I thought what the heck, yes a little shrill, but they do get attention...

Also have had one of these attached to outside rear view mirror for grins and giggles...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

I still like the Dukes of Hazzard Dixie horn! My ears perk up and I start looking for Daisy Duke.
Powaypete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

I have 2.
One like the one Dale has and an Aoogh horn. 2 separate buttons. Depends on my mood as to which I use. Used to have a bulb horn on my Harley chopper years ago (it was actually useless).

We're all here because we're not all there.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

[quote="Powaypete]Used to have a bulb horn on my Harley chopper years ago (it was actually useless).[/quote]
Many years ago a fellow worker was stopped by the police on his Harley and told to get a horn. He went to the bicycle department at Walmart and bought one of those little round "ringy-ding" things you used to see on the handle bar of kid's tricycles! They gave it a pass!

This horn is mighty loud in the house but we will see outside...

I actually don't care if it's loud enough or not to be truthful. I have never depended on one for my safety, I use the brakes and steering wheel to avoid collisions. If you have time to use the horn the emergence has already passed.

But the law must be respected and I now have a horn.
andygere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

I find the horn to be a necessary safety item in a buggy. There are so many distracted, hurried and just plain bad drivers, sometimes the only thing you can do is get their attention. I think a horn actuated by a button on the steering wheel is probably the only one that you can honk quickly enough to save your bacon. Pick an electric horn you like (a dual trumpet from an old Caddy will get their attention) and hook it up to the steering wheel button. It may save your buggy or your life.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

My experiance has been this. The horn is used to express a person's anger after the fact, if you have time to blow your horn and the other party has time to react then 9 times out of 10 there was nothing that happened that you could not have taken evasive action to avoid. I don't depend on someone else's reaction time to save my hide!

Back in '76 I bought a new Rabbit and took it back to the dealer for the first warranty oil change. When I went out to drive it home it was parked hard up against the curb that was around the building with the horn squashed flat. I brought it to thier attention but they refused to take responsibility for it. I still have the car and have yet to replace the horn. The only time I miss it is to greet people I know.

And that is most likely all this horn will be used for.
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

I am using the same horn in my car !! I can squeeze the bulb right from the driver seat!. sounds great!

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

Nice! I hadn't thought of separating and remotely mounting the horn from the bulb. Good idea!

Love the car too!
narrowfarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

Yes, I separated the horn from the bulb from the horn, than i had I believe 1/2 copper pipe fits right into the horn, with 45 degree copper angle and a copper mounting bracket soldered onto a straight copper tube ,ran the length of the car under the hood. Flex hose from Lowes from the straight copper pipe end to the horn. No lose in air pressure to the horn when squeezed! sounds like it should!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Horns? Reply with quote

That is cool! Thanks for posting this!

I was considering teeing in a line so I could use the bulb for a short blast or use a pre-charged air bottle for a long one.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: