Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locker vacuum switch; GW or OEM?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Locker vacuum switch; GW or OEM? Reply with quote

Anybody using the GW vacuum switch? I'm interested in feedback or opinions. GW claims a smoother refined engagement, my oem style seem to be fine, after all it's just a knob, open/close? I have to purchase an assembly for my newly added front locker and the GW is about a third the cost compared to the oem, I could replace all three!

TIA
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker vacuum switch; GW or OEM? Reply with quote

No experience with GW switch but it is more than off and on. The switch rotates vacuum from one side of the actuator to the other to engage and then disengage.

I’m anal enough to want my knobs to match. So if you get the GW switches, you could sell on your OE switch.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker vacuum switch; GW or OEM? Reply with quote

They finally discovered the process controls industry and started buying these instead of the ridiculously expensive VDO valve (please stop calling them switches). This is the stuff that's used by the thousands to control all kinds of factory production lines with air pressure. I'll be using solenoid-actuated versions of these in my Redshiftt system, and they will allow use of air pressure for much more positive actuation over weak vacuum force.

GW's kit uses is a common manual 5-way valve which does what's needed, ports vacuum to either side of the servo diaphragm while porting the other side to exhaust. These are considerably more robust than VDO's lightweight version of the same. You can find these much cheaper on Amazon or ebay, but there are several thread type choices for the ports so if you want to avoid having to figure out the plumbing parts GW's kit is reasonably priced for having solved those questions in advance.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Locker vacuum switch; GW or OEM? Reply with quote

Chris, thank you! I've taken some time and looked into the 5/2 valves, looks straight forward to me. I'll look at my existing stuff and make a judgment of either 1/8" or 1/4", im taking a guess it'll be the 1/8" ports.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Locker vacuum switch; GW or OEM? Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
They finally discovered the process controls industry and started buying these instead of the ridiculously expensive VDO valve (please stop calling them switches). This is the stuff that's used by the thousands to control all kinds of factory production lines with air pressure. I'll be using solenoid-actuated versions of these in my Redshiftt system, and they will allow use of air pressure for much more positive actuation over weak vacuum force.

GW's kit uses is a common manual 5-way valve which does what's needed, ports vacuum to either side of the servo diaphragm while porting the other side to exhaust. These are considerably more robust than VDO's lightweight version of the same. You can find these much cheaper on Amazon or ebay, but there are several thread type choices for the ports so if you want to avoid having to figure out the plumbing parts GW's kit is reasonably priced for having solved those questions in advance.

I posted about these back in 2011 with little interest as well as the Mercedes vacuum actuators.
They are called Spool Valves manually operated, they were about 20 bucks back then, so the current GW price is honest.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20 All dead pics but part numbers are there.

They do stick out further out from the panel so I didn`t end up using mine, sourced from Buschmiede in Germany back then, who I credit for finding out about these and selling them first. It took me a while to find out what they were, no Google Lens search back then Laughing Laughing

Curiously shortly after my post, all the NOS Mercedes VDO black actuators have been NLA and listed at vendors. Now they look a little different, still black though.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: