Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Solar panel battery charging advice wanted
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaplang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted Reply with quote

My 84 Vanagon sits in my driveway undriven quit offen. When I do need to use it the battery won’t always turn the engine over fast enough. I thought it would be a good idea to put a solar panel on the roof that would act as a trickle charger but I’m not sure what I need. I don’t want to mount it, just set it on the roof and hook it to the battery until I need to to drive the van at which point I’ll take it down.

Will a 12 volt 5 watt panel work for what I want to do?
Will I need a controller?

Thanks in advance for anyone that chimes in
George
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted. Reply with quote

There are all in one units that do what you want.

I like this one but it is pricier than the others, but is more powerful and has flexibility to charge other devices when away from a power source.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07VNS7YCD/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted. Reply with quote

Honestly, I think I'd just fire it up and run it a few minutes every 2-4 weeks.

Seals and things don't like long dormant periods on most any car. Nor do batteries.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted. Reply with quote

If you choose to own vehicles that don’t get driven often (cars, tractors, snowblowers, motorcycles, etc.) then you need to choose a battery maintenance strategy (or plan on buying batteries more frequently than necessary). If this vehicle is near an AC outlet then you might consider a proper maintenance charger that monitors battery condition and charges the battery as needed. A simple solar panel that sits on the dash and gets some sun is another possible approach but may not monitor battery condition as well.

If you’ve drained your starter battery so much that it’s failed to start your car a few times it may be kaput.

This is what I use to maintain infrequently used batteries (one for each battery). There are countless other possibilities incl. solar chargers...

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SC1300-Automatic...&psc=1

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted Reply with quote

Don't know where you are located but Harbor Freight sells a 1.5 watt kit for $14.99 that seems to have very favorable reviews. You just put the small solar panel on your dashboard and use either the supplied clamps to connect directly to the battery or the supplied male plug to connect it to your battery via the cigarette lighter receptacle.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted Reply with quote

A 5, 10, or 15 watt panel will do the job nicely if the panel gets a few hours of direct sunlight daily, wired direct with no need for a controller. Over 15 or 20 watts you'll want a simple controller, which would be a waste of money, just get a 10w, wire direct and relax, you battery will always be ready to go.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Solar panel battery charging advice wanted Reply with quote

Not sure how long it is sitting but a good battery should be able sit for a couple months and still start the van. Maybe your battery is old or there is parasite drain on the battery or battery and starter connections could be bad. Adding a solar panel or trickle charger may just be putting a band-aid on an underlying issue.

How long does it sit before it's difficult to start?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: