Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Foam on top of oil cooler
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Foam on top of oil cooler Reply with quote

On my '70 Fastback, the enigne and gearbox is now out and being rebuilt, so I am renovating all the other bits and pieces. It doesn't look as though the engine has ever been apart before as a lot of seemingly original parts. Smile
On top of the 6 row oil cooler was a piece of foam that wrapped over the end of the cooler. That foam is now pretty fragile and not reusable. Can one just use some heat resistant foam to replace this stuff ? How critical is the foam ?
While talking oil, I am told there is a "chistmas tree" union that will enable an oil pressure guage to be fitted to where the Idiot light sensor is currently located. Anyone know of these ?
And lastly, I was also told that it is possible to put a plate over the oil pump that enables one to attach hoses so you can fit a remote spin off oil filter off to the side. Anyone have any details or comments on this ?
Thanks.
G
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam on top of oil cooler Reply with quote

I just used whatever foam I had around. Heat resistant is better, the last thing you want is that stuff disintegrating and being blown onto your cylinders. As for how critical it is; well it's there for a reason. I ran with out it for a while, it's possible but ever little bit of cooling helps.

You can get a T for the oil fitting or you can get double pole pressure sender/switch combo. The problem with the combo is that the light comes on a lot sooner than it should and it's a bit bulky. Mine is a very tight fit. I have no experience for the T fitting.

Sensor/switch:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-80psi-Oil-Pressure-Sending-Unit-10-X-1mm-p/v360006.htm

T fitting:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/VDO-Sending-Unit-T-Adapter-1-8-27-V240850-p/v240850.htm

Those are the VDO part numbers as well. Just note I don't know if they are the exact ones you need as I forget if you want M10X1 threads or 1/8-27 threads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Foam on top of oil cooler Reply with quote

Thanks Old Man - Appreciated. Out of interest I was "stuck" in Halifax for a couple of weeks 3 years ago - Shipped my car over from Europe on the way home to Aus, and ship was late arriving Shocked Turned out we (another couple with their car on same ship) had a great time in Halifax, especially couple a good bars near our hotel, and good meals in a seafood place down on the waterfront. Once car arrived, went right round NS, then up to NF which I really enjoyed - Stayed up there for a month before heading west. Would love to come back again - Have good friends in NF from that trip. Maybe come in the Fastback next time ? Smile
See here https://qthelongwayhome.blogspot.com/2016/05/0507-halifax-nova-scotia.html#more
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Foam on top of oil cooler Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Thanks Old Man - Appreciated. Out of interest I was "stuck" in Halifax for a couple of weeks 3 years ago - Shipped my car over from Europe on the way home to Aus, and ship was late arriving Shocked Turned out we (another couple with their car on same ship) had a great time in Halifax, especially couple a good bars near our hotel, and good meals in a seafood place down on the waterfront. Once car arrived, went right round NS, then up to NF which I really enjoyed - Stayed up there for a month before heading west. Would love to come back again - Have good friends in NF from that trip. Maybe come in the Fastback next time ? Smile
See here https://qthelongwayhome.blogspot.com/2016/05/0507-halifax-nova-scotia.html#more

Nice write up. I actually use to live in Newfoundland. I will have to read more about your adventures there. Unfortunate you ended up there in may. The nice weather doesn't hit until late summer/fall. In May you can still get substantial snowfalls. Glad you had a good time in either province.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: