Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Height of fuel pump spacer
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

I am replacing my fuel pump with a rebuilt pump from Bill Fowler. The old fuel pump spacer which I replaced about 30 years ago was cracked. It measured 13.81 mm in height. I have 2 new spacers. One is a Dansk , 12.25 mm and the other is from CIP1, 12.85 mm. The Dansk gives me 12.95 mm on the push rod distance above the spacer with one gasket which is very close to the 13.0 mm spec. The CIP1 spacer produces 12.35 mm. This is with a new 108 mm fuel pump rod for my generator equipped 1970.

I thought original spacers were about 13 mm in height. Just wondering if wear on the distributor drive gear where the pump rod contacts it would explain these measurements. Is that susceptible to wear? I am thinking that the thinner Dansk spacer would be best. I can always add a gasket to reduce fuel pump pressure but given the quality of the rebuild I don’t anticipate a problem.

Any suggestions or advice? Am I on the right track here?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

1600 OEM flange.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn. Exactly what I wanted to know.

Another difference between the two spacers.
This is how the Dansk ( on the right) came out of the box. It had been sanded to reduce height. Who knows how much. The other one is shiny black but a little thicker than the 12.7 mm original.

As far as quality, the CIP1 spacer seems a little more sturdy and better made.

Last edited by wayne1230cars on Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

The on on the left looks to be OE since it have the VW/Audi symbols.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Hello Wayne.

I went out and was able to measure my original VW 1960's bakelite fuel pump stands on two of my type 1 engine VW's. Both measured 12.10mm and with the 108MM pushrod, I had 13MM with it at its highest travel point.

Over the decades, who knows what previous owners installed as that stand or what modifications they did to it. Making it shorter as an example.

At the end of the day, VW wanted the pushrod to be at 13mm above the pump stand at its highest travel. You can shim the stand up with gaskets or sand the top of the stand down to make it's thickness smaller. If you're able to hit 12.95mm right now, you're fine. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Thanks Bill.
The old aftermarket fuel pump pushrod was not exactly helping things. It was worn down to 107.4 mm. Another example of why original is best.

Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Original fuel pump from 1968 (used - 500,000+ miles):
Fuel pump push rod = 107.80mm
Fuel pump spacer = 12.80mm

New fuel pump from new VW industrial motor:
Fuel pump push rod = 107.80mm
Fuel pump spacer = 12.74mm

The used fuel pump push rod had a polished flat end with a slight concave where is touched the fuel pump lever. Other than that there was no difference between the two.

All parts were original German Volkswagen.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

New pump is installed and working great. Kudos to Bill for the high quality of his rebuild work. Managed to get very close to the 13 mm spec with the new fuel pump rod and spacer.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

I saw a guy selling an NOS VW made, bakelite fuel pump stand with the correct VW part number on ebay. I reached out to him and asked him to measure the base thickness. He said it was 12.20 mm which is right in line with the measurements of the original VW stands on my VW's I measured.

It's really kind of odd that there were two different height stands from what folks are posting here. I've heard reports that the type 3 engines used a different stand but that dose not make sense either.

I wonder if the 12.7 mm stands were for the alternator fuel pumps with the 100 mm push rod.

Anyone have an original alternator equipped engine with the original fuel pump stand in place?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I saw a guy selling an NOS VW made, bakelite fuel pump stand with the correct VW part number on ebay. I reached out to him and asked him to measure the base thickness. He said it was 12.20 mm which is right in line with the measurements of the original VW stands on my VW's I measured.

It's really kind of odd that there were two different height stands from what folks are posting here. I've heard reports that the type 3 engines used a different stand but that dose not make sense either.

I wonder if the 12.7 mm stands were for the alternator fuel pumps with the 100 mm push rod.

Anyone have an original alternator equipped engine with the original fuel pump stand in place?

Bill,

Type 1 "alternator" and "Generator" pumps use the same flange... so does the Type 3.

All the same part number.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:

Bill,

Type 1 "alternator" and "Generator" pumps use the same flange... so does the Type 3.

All the same part number.

Weird, huh? Why two different height pump stands then? Your picture showed 12.7mm on a VW stand while the NOS stand from the 60's matched my originals in my VW's of 12.2 Think

Again, at the end of the day, the key measurement is that the fuel pump push rod measures 13mm above the plastic stand.

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

I'm going to note this for future searchers of this information on fuel pump stands.

I spoke with a retired VW parts manager at a dealership from the late 60's and early 70's. He also said he wasn't aware of two different fuel pump stands. He did however state-

The original VW Part Number for those Blocks were 113 127 303. In the 1997 VW Parts Price Book the Number has now become 113 127 303 C indicating some changes have been made to the part but not what those changes were. There doesn't appear to be two different blocks available at the same time.

So, it's possible that the 113 127 303 stand made in the 60's and early 70's was 12.2mm and the later version 113 127 303C is 12.7mm.

Glenn, do you still have that NOS VW stand that measured 12.7mm? If so, does it have this 303c part number?

Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

The VW part sticker on the bag has a "c" in the part number.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
The VW part sticker on the bag has a "c" in the part number.

I missed that! Good catch. So, it appears we have the answer then. The 303C was a bit thicker than the 303 though we don't know why VW did that.

TK-CS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
I've heard reports that the type 3 engines used a different stand but that dose not make sense either.

I always supposed that the Type 3 engine used the same part, but never checked the parts catalogue for reference.
But afaik the Type 3 pump gets a different pretension setting of the diaphragm than the Type 1 pump.
WC:
'77 Audi NSU Ro80
'88 GTI 16V
'91 Corrado G60
Daily:
'04 Passat Wagon 2.0TDI
'13 Passat Wagon 2.0TSI
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

TK-CS wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
I've heard reports that the type 3 engines used a different stand but that dose not make sense either.

I always supposed that the Type 3 engine used the same part, but never checked the parts catalogue for reference.
But afaik the Type 3 pump gets a different pretension setting of the diaphragm than the Type 1 pump.

There were a couple of pretension jigs sold by VW. One set the lower diaphragm to 14mm in the mid 60's and the other to 13mm afterward. The big difference in the type 3 pump was the main diaphragm spring wire was just a touch thicker. It gave the type 3 Pierburg pumps more PSI.

I've measured the spring wire on the diaphragm springs from the type 1 and type 3 pumps that had never been apart personally and found that wire thicker on the type 3.

kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Hey now, we're not done yet: I have a pump stand, with VW logo, has part No. 040.127.303.1
cast into it. The flange is 13.05 mm thick. IMO, all these slight thickness variations are insignificant,
plus or minus a gasket's thickness, which will not affect pump operation to any practical degree.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Floating VW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

I've got the same one: 040.127.303.1, and it has the VW logo. I just went out and measured mine. I got 0.519" (13.18mm). I'm with kreemoweet on this one; a fraction of a millimeter isn't a big cause for concern.

Oh, in case you're wondering, I cut that circular groove around the pushrod hole to help the excess oil that creeps up the pushrod drip back down the shaft and into the engine case, instead of spilling over and filling up those "reservoirs" in the stand. I don't know why I worry about stupid things like that, but I do.
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

Quote:
So, it's possible that the 113 127 303 stand made in the 60's and early 70's was 12.2mm and the later version 113 127 303C is 12.7mm.

Glenn, do you still have that NOS VW stand that measured 12.7mm? If so, does it have this 303c part number?

The photograph below is of a spacer from late 1967/early 1968 and has a measurement of 12.8mm

Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Height of fuel pump spacer Reply with quote

I have access to five fuel pump stands which were fitted to to new VW industrial engines (with a generator) and all had only one gasket fitted either side of the fuel pump intermediate flange.

The fuel pump intermediate flange is 12.74mm thick.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: