Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2005 gti parasitic drain
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: 2005 gti parasitic drain Reply with quote

So my wifes 05 gti 1.8t has had an intermittent electrical drain. Long story short in her total unknowingness about mechanical things she stumbled upon the fact that if she held the key in the starting position ( which usually resulted in a solenoid click at the starter ) and pumped the gas pedal the clicks coincide with it and often get it to turn over and start. Question WTF? Id told her to try pumping the clutch pedal whilst holding the key to start to check the clutch in safety switch. She it worked when she pumped the gas pedal, I went and watched her do it. Ideas? Is there another switch thats gas pedal related that affects the starter solenoid?

ok reading elsewhere at the same time, faulty TPS?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 gti parasitic drain Reply with quote

I suggest that you check to see if there is power at circuit 50 at the starter. Diagnosis is how you figure out things cheap. If there is power at circuit 50 and the starter does not engage, then replace the starter. Yeah, check the main power and ground cables before you buy one.

I do not think the gas pedal is doing anything. Do not believe me? Have her do the same thing but turn the radio on and off instead of pumping the gas pedal? Betcha it will do the same thing. The pedal is just a spring and sensor that has nothing to do with the starter.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 2005 gti parasitic drain Reply with quote

Thanks. I wouldnt have believed it either if she hadnt showed me. But as said she turned the key and i could hear a click at the solenoid, held the key in start for a second or two with no more clicks, started pumping the gas pedal and it started clicking and eventually cranked over and started. Wierd. I will be checking starter connections. There is definitely a drain somewhere though because its had a dead battery a number of times. Battery isnt very old. I dont love working on her car as it sits so low to the ground, prefer working on the vanagon with all that ground clearance.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: