Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

Hi All,

First off just as background and to avoid confusion my Doka has a 5 speed, so shift pattern is a dog leg like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A few weeks ago I had my first mechanical issue with the Doka after daily driving for a year... shifting to where reverse should be put me in 2nd (where 1st would be in a normal 4 speed Vanagon). So, I went under the van, found the slip joint adjustment point, marked the existing orientation really well, then adjusted it by two "clicks" before tightening it down again and that resolved the issue.

This morning I backed out of my driveway in reverse, drove to work, and found at the work parking lot that I could no longer select reverse... it was once again 2nd no matter how I tried. I got it into a pull-through parking spot and took a look at the slip joint, thinking I must have not tightened it enough and it had moved... but the marks show me that my previous "two clicks" adjustment is holding tight.

Any ideas on what to do or investigate now? I can adjust at the slip joint again but it seems like something must be giving up the ghost elsewhere in the system. I will do more looking around when I get the Doka into my shop tonight to see if anything jumps out at me, but figured someone might have insight or experienced this before.

Thanks in advance!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

I don't know 5-speeds... but does yours have this part?

https://www.vancafe.com/251711221F-p/251711221f-aft.htm

SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I don't know 5-speeds... but does yours have this part?

Yes I have this part on my transmission, but I did not pull the dust boot to look at it closely. You're thinking the plastic ball itself is wearing out or falling apart maybe?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

Is the shifter mounting plate a little loose? Or something else in the chain?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
Ahwahnee wrote:

Yes I have this part on my transmission, but I did not pull the dust boot to look at it closely. You're thinking the plastic ball itself is wearing out or falling apart maybe?

When mine fell apart it was as if 1st was where reverse used to be:

Basically the metal lever was doing the shifting -- getting less action and tearing up the cup:

SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

OK, checking shifter mounting plate and the "ball" are now on the agenda for my quality shop time this evening... i will report back. Thanks all!
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

Another common issue is the shifter box directly below the shifter. In it, a metal shape with two tabs and plastic on each tab lives. The plastic tabs fall off and change the shift feel, and sometimes the ear itself cracks off. That happened to my Syncro and it was an easy fix.

You are brave to mess with the splined center linkage, but keenly intelligent to have carefully marked it. Odds are good when you find what changed/wore/broke and repair that, you will want to put that splined connection right back where you found it. So be sure the marks remain legible!!

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

You are brave to mess with the splined center linkage, but keenly intelligent to have carefully marked it.

Don't mistake me for intelligent, I was just following instructions from other threads here on TheSamba Wink

For real though, I've adjusted enough carbs to know the value in being able to "go back to where it was before I messed with it" and have a variety of small files, sharpies and grease pens in my arsenal for this purpose.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

Basically the metal lever was doing the shifting -- getting less action and tearing up the cup:

For what its worth, I drill a small hole in the bottom of the socket so I can inject grease below the ball and force the old grease out to the top. Been doing this long enough at this point to think it is obviously beneficial.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

On the drive home the shifter let go completely, leaving me with only 3rd gear about 1.5 miles from home. It was clear that something had let go in the stick shift itself, the whole mechanism was just flopping around without resistance... kind of narrows things down a bit!

I still had three somewhat busy intersections between me and home and considered going under the van to manually put the transmission into 2nd but ultimately was able to feather the clutch enough in 3rd to make my way home and into my shop.

I'll let the pictures tell the tale from here.

Shifter after removal

Nut is nowhere to be found

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

For now, you can probably put it all together, coat the threads with JB Weld and screw the nut on the best you can. Should hold for quite a while until you can get the parts to do it right.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd just drill that bolt for a cotter pin, add a washer and never think about it again.

(But I'm cheap...) Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

don't forget to add a little foam washer or coiled spring to take the rattle out..
dhaavers wrote:
If it were me, I'd just drill that bolt for a cotter pin, add a washer and never think about it again.

(But I'm cheap...) Wink

- Dave
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

(But I'm cheap...) Wink

- Dave

A shoulder bolt in this kind of application is designed to have the nut tightened against the shoulder pinching the metal the hole in the bracket. If not tightened the joint created will work and wear will occur to both the bolt (as seen) and the hole. Beings the bolt is already worn to where is can easily move around in the hole, then continued use is just going to amplify that wear. Part of my reason in suggest using JB Weld is that it will fill the wear areas and thus prevent movement, if the nut can actually be torqued when he does this he could consider it a permanent repair, but if the nut will not take torque he should find a replacement shoulder bolt in a reasonably short time.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

There was enough "meat" on the bolt that I was able to get a nylock nut with a little loctite onto there so I just reassembled everything until I can get the new part and fix it more permanently. Took about 45 minutes from when I limped into the shop to when I was test driving the fix, kind of nice to have such a definitive failure vs doing a bunch of diagnostics Smile

One rookie mistake: it was obvious that the linkage in the "box" had let go, if I was thinking things through more clearly I would have just started disassembling from under the van to see what was up but instead I pulled the shifter and looked down into the "box", this was unnecessary and if I had not scribed the position of the side to side adjustment of the shifter itself would have meant more trial and error at reassembly.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

Coincidentally, I am on the same job of replacing the front linkage. I replaced it 10 years ago when I bought my tintop and I lube it frequently... recently there's a symptom of feeling at the front linkage that the 2nd is IN but NO 2nd gear at gear box and I have to reengage the 2nd twice before it get in... adjusting the the base doesn't help... so something is worn down there...
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
On the drive home the shifter let go completely, leaving me with only 3rd gear about 1.5 miles from home. It was clear that something had let go in the stick shift itself, the whole mechanism was just flopping around without resistance... kind of narrows things down a bit!

I still had three somewhat busy intersections between me and home and considered going under the van to manually put the transmission into 2nd but ultimately was able to feather the clutch enough in 3rd to make my way home and into my shop.

I'll let the pictures tell the tale from here.

Shifter after removal

Nut is nowhere to be found

Just to make sure you`re aware, that`s not a five speed shifter.

That`s a 5 speed shifter:

http://van-quality-parts.fr/tringlerie-boite-de-vi...cline.html

Disregard the shape of the metal box, that`s for JX and DJ engines with the raised angled floor.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

Just to make sure you`re aware, that`s not a five speed shifter.

That`s a 5 speed shifter:

http://van-quality-parts.fr/tringlerie-boite-de-vi...cline.html

Disregard the shape of the metal box, that`s for JX and DJ engines with the raised angled floor.

Didn't see the difference at first and thought the pic from the page you linked was showing the rod since I saw the little plastic tabs, but eventually found a part diagram and now I get it.... never knew this, seems to work ok with the 4 speed setup. The part diagram that helped me understand:

FWIW my Doka came from the factory with the DJ engine and 5 speed, I'm not familiar with the raised angled floor thing but am attaching a pic.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

You have a flat floor.

I never seen a DJ with the raised floor but I`ve seen it mentioned twice recently through various vendors. For sure the Turbo diesel had it, for increased air flow for the radiator.

The pictures are pretty clear in my link though.

The 4 speed shifter can work in lieu of the 5 speed, it`s basically like a syncro in this case.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Can't select reverse... after fixing same issue recently Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:

The pictures are pretty clear in my link though.

They were, I just had a "blindness" to what they were showing because every time I saw the rod with the plastic tabs on the end my brain identified it as the shift linkage rod that heads aft in the van (cue head scratching... why are they showing pics of the linkage when the part for sale is the shifter?), it took seeing the parts diagram picture for the light bulb to go off about what I was looking at Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: