Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bearing diagnosis?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Windisch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

ekacpuc wrote:
Paul Windisch wrote:
A W110 should idle pretty well. I have that cam in mine, and it idles smoothly at 900 rpm. You may have had other issues if the idle is rough.

You’re not running the stock carb correct? W110 is a lot for one carb throat.

Correct. Sorry, after re-reading the OP's post, I realized he's on a single barrel. I (incorrectly) assumed that if one took the engine apart to install a different cam, the other peripherals would have also been upgraded.

My apologies. Very Happy

1984 Mexican Beetle
-1914cc
-L3 Heads 35x32 valves 52cc chambers
-0.040" deck for about 9.1:1 Compression
-Engle W110 cam
-CB Super Stock 1.1:1 Rockers
-Stock Heat Exchangers w/ Tri-Mil Muffler
-Dual Weber IDF 40s w/ 26mm venturis
-034 SVDA Distributor

2013 Chevrolet Volt DD
2005 Pontiac Montana SV6

MAHLE Service Solutions
Applications Engineer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

the pistons are spekled with debris. they are tiny but they are there, thats what causing the lines in the cylinders... look at the end of each line in the pistons and there will usualy be a spec imbeded. as well as some with no lines. they are eazy to pick out with a sharp hard tool I like dentist picks to do it. it takes a while to get them all and dont wory about hurting the piston.did a hole if you wish it wont hurt squat, just get every peice out!!! you can scratch across and feal and hear the steel/iron in the skirts with a pick.some will cum right out and some will take some work. rough honed replacement cylinders fill the skirts with iron as the rings wear out. thus the need to "knock the tooth off the hone pattern" this greatly reduces the blow by and shedding of debris in to the oil&skirts. dont forget to add a spin on oil filter.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

It sounds like you purchased a VW from what I call a 'flipper', a guy who pieced something together, a used engine from under the work bench, slapped on some chrome tin for nice pictures, slapped it together and "send it!" About what I'd expect from a used VW where the owner 'didn't know much about the engine'. A worn out POS, but it drove, and idled, able to ship it as a running vehicle. Pretty typical, actually. Hopefully you boought it with the possibility it needed a rebuild, in mind, and budgeted $3k-$5k depending on goals.

Again, not a horrible or dishonest deal, unless it was mis-represented as 'a one-owner, numbers matching time capsule, deal of the century w/rebuilt engine'. If so, you were taken advantage of.

Moving forward, if you plan to love and keep this car, it's time for a quality rebuild. Set a realistic budget, connect with a local VW machine shop. You might find that having a reputable engine builder will save money and time in the long run, and move your purchase from 'project' to 'runner and driver' status much quicker and less painful. Budget and goals.

The bearings show trash has run through it, probably super dirty oil with carbon chunks have circulated though it. Nothing out of the ordinary for old cars. The W110 cam is puzzling, but a new cam is part of any build, they are cheap, cam, lifters, and bearings $100-$200 depending on what you want. . the 'std' marking is just 'standard' cam bearing. Those cam bearing look fine, by the way, but replace them with a rebuild. The case where the cam bearings fit almost never need attention, but the lifter bores need to be scrutinized for wear, repaired if needed, given the that trash has gone through the engine.

There are many threads on the sequence of a complete rebuild, which is what you need. Start with goals, them break it all down and have the ca application, bu these things are getting old, so the case needs to be looked at for case spreading, bad head stud threads. Typically you are looking at doing an align bore of the case, regrind the crank, and have the machine shop supply new oversize bearings to match.

I hope that helps
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

I am going to piggyback off this thread since your case is so similar to mine. Pulled these out after 500 miles. It was making an awful knocking sound and the oil looked like an aluminum based syrup. This was ran with the Mexican style oil pump/filter combo. I'm guessing this is oil contamination too? Unfortunately pulley side main journal has a deep gouge in it and the thrust bearing journal borderline fails the fingernail test as well.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don't mind the white powder chalky looking stuff here. Thought I picked the brake cleaner can.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

I was chased up for some pictures of the rod bearings. Finally had a chance to split the rods this evening...

I've got the case and crank ready to go off for machining. Just need to find a decent strength box to ship them in.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

Your bearings (Mains) look like too tight of clearances...

petrol punk wrote:
I am going to piggyback off this thread since your case is so similar to mine. Pulled these out after 500 miles. It was making an awful knocking sound and the oil looked like an aluminum based syrup. This was ran with the Mexican style oil pump/filter combo. I'm guessing this is oil contamination too? Unfortunately pulley side main journal has a deep gouge in it and the thrust bearing journal borderline fails the fingernail test as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

A lot of dirt in there. The more dirt stuck in the bearing, the "tighter" they get.
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

the case may be loose in the main bearing seats, if the rebuild is recent they don not linebore the case. crank looks damaged (cut) where the flywheel shims ride.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
If you have a header use one of these
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/maxi26early.htm

If you have a stock muffler use one of these
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1791.htm

brad

Do you have an opinion on the bugpack or Scat versions? (e.g. https://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~B...Studs.html)

I can't find anywhere in Europe that has the CB Performance one in stock and they all order direct from CB Perf. The linked seller above seems to be the only seller in the UK who advertises the 4-bolt 'dished' cam version. They have a six week lead time and it's just under £120.00 ($155) with my discount.

I have a relative in D.C, who I could probably get to forward one direct to me more quickly and at lower cost though.

The UK seller also felt the Maxi Pump is overkill for a stock 1600 D.P engine due to the pump gearing. The CB Perf. link says the gears are 26mm which I thought was standard for a dished cam oil pump though?

Does the Maxi Pump put out excessive pressure?

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

yes, 26mm is standard for dished cam, so no really "HD"
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

Thanks. CB Performance's description inclues this line that I'd overlooked before...

Quote:
The pumps are assembled with closer tolerances than stock pumps to provide increased oil pressure during low speed operation.

Is that significant, and is it desirable for a stock road engine or not?

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

Poorly maintained stock oil bath air cleaner causes a lot of dirt ingress also, one of the reasons VW used oil bath, helps with the lack of oil filter.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Bearing diagnosis? Reply with quote

wow!! those main & rod bearings are full of shit!!!! was the crank oil gallys cleaned good before assy???or did the camshaft die too?? yikes!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: