Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgraham602
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose Reply with quote

I've searched through a number of forums and haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'm looking at a few beetles in my area and have noticed a number have after aftermarket carbs and air cleaners. These systems do not include the preheater hose that would have gone to the stock oil bath. When someone replaces that stock unit is there a common procedure? Would they block off the inlet that the hose connects to?

I purchased a 75 bus years ago only to find out that it was missing the thermostat and cooling flaps, so I want to make sure I know what to look for!
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose Reply with quote

Assuming aftermarket dual carburetors: It would be smart to block off any holes left in the rear engine sheet metal. You could make a simple plate that is retained with an engine tin screw. It is also smart to block off the heat riser flanges left in the exhaust. There are block off kits for these.

The goal is to keep the exhaust sealed up and keep the incoming intake and cooling air cool and uncontaminated by hot air or exhaust gas. Hot air that already passed over the engine will exit below, so keep that in mind when you are sealing up the engine bay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose Reply with quote

It's easy enough to pick up an oil bath and to put things right so don't think too much of it. It's a very inexpensive fix.

Come back to me later if you need a recommendation on a rebuilt carb. They are just as good as new (if not better). I'd wait until the aftermarket one blows and then worry about it.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose Reply with quote

Aftermarket carbs are vastly inferior to the original German Solex carbs. Tim at Volkzbitz.com rebuilds/restores them to like new condition. This includes installing new throttle shaft bushings in them.

Tim's feedback page is 100% positive. He's done some throttle shaft bushings for some carbs of mine and his work was flawless.

www.volkzbitz.com is his website.

You also want to run the correct oil bath for your year VW. The are superior to any aftermarket air filter. The also have the correct inlet for the breather hose.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose Reply with quote

(edited)
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)

Last edited by heimlich on Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket Carb and Preheater hose Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451227&highlight=tim+volkzbitz

Here's Tim's feedback thread for folks reading this thread. Everyone who's been on this site for a decade plus has sent their carbs to Tim or purchased one from him. I've been on this site since 2004 and have worked on VW's since the 70's. I tried other carb rebuilders since being on this site. No carb rebuilder was close to Tim's work.

Most of my distributor and fuel pump customers are running Tim's carbs. When you put quality restored, original German parts back on your engine, you're rewarded with fantastic running VW's and decades of service from the parts. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: