Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Wow! That looks nice. No visible rust on heater channels.....
heheh Key word VISABLE...
Enjoy your new purchase!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Enjoy!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
1968BUGMAN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

What price? That looks nice! I hope you love it, a bug is unlike any other car, they are so much fun.
Installing a Stereo Into a Classic VW | https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9502179#9502179
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Chinaclipper wrote:
Wow! That looks nice. No visible rust on heater channels.....
heheh Key word VISABLE...
Enjoy your new purchase!

Thank you, I plan on enjoying it a lot!! It does have a little rust on the upright heater channel inside at the drivers door. But I'm a welder so it'll be ok
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Enjoy!

Thank you, the enjoyment has already begun, lol.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

1968BUGMAN wrote:
What price? That looks nice! I hope you love it, a bug is unlike any other car, they are so much fun.

I paid too much, but not too bad for my area and the prices they are going for right now. It's rear ended someone before and the spare tire area is crunched in a bit. I was looking for a running driving project that looked ok, and this one fit the bill. I'm excited about improving things and making it just how I want it.
You're right, it's like no other car I've own and I'm already having a blast meeting other "Bug" people.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Here's some more pics of the day I bought it...

Drivers side - I like the roof rack a lot, makes it look like the car gets used for adventures

Front - Not so sure I dig the white hood

Looks like a bug from the back

The interior is kinda plain.. except for the teeny steering wheel and holes in the dash from not having the plastic dash pad

Just a little 1500

Lots of overspray....everything is red!

Looks like maybe a little bondo hiding here

She's a tall girl for sure (has baja cool overs). I'm not sure if I'm going Baja or not, kinda digging the thought of going lower.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Taking it home....

First it's time for some gas, since I'm told the gauge isn't reliable

Thought this was a broken cap

Nope, it wasn't a broken cap... it was some sort of plug with duct tape wrapped around it.

Got one on the way home Smile

Started stalling at every light on the way home because the wire popped off the carb. The wife was happy to help me track down the issue, lol.

Since I was looking to do a drive on the other side of the state pretty soon, we went and picked up a tow bar just in case.

So there it is, the end if day one and I now own a bug, a pretty gas cap, and tow bar.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Don't forget the pretty wife. Laughing

Have fun with the car.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Yes, let's not forget her, lol. So day one ended with a new bug, a pretty gas cap, a tow bar, AND a pretty wife. A pretty good day!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Nice going with the Beetle, especially finding one that's in seemingly reasonable driving condition.

Quote:
Not so sure I dig the white hood
The red looks a lot like this one from Rust-o-Leum; you could buy a quart and use the foam roller method to put a few glossy coats on.

Might find another easy equivalent here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...equivalent
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Nice bug! I'll put a little plug in for... lifting her! Laughing

Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

MI-Bug you're not helping my decision making, lol. I kinda like your tall non-Baja cut.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

[quote="Rome"]Nice going with the Beetle, especially finding one that's in seemingly reasonable driving condition.

I've been using rust-olem colonial red. Seems like a kinda close match to the original color. Mines actually been painted over with a slightly more burgundy color, so nothing is gonna match. Sad
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

In about a week I planned to take her 100 miles across the state to Yakima Washington to a VW carshow and swap meet, so it was time to get her road worthy. Yup, time for a tune up and simple repairs.

I got a full tune-up done. I did plugs, wires, cap, rotor, in-line fuel filter, oil, oil screen & gasket, replaced transmission fluid, replaced the condenser, and replaced & adjusted the points.

I made sure to go Bosch

This was the dirty old glass fuel filter. I swapped to a plastic one.

The cap and rotor looked better than I expected

Got her up off the ground so my tubby butt could squeeze under to get some work done.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

The next thing I did was to pull off the valve covers and get my Valves adjusted. It was my first time doing it, but it was pretty cake and easier to get to than I originally figured. I cleaned up the valve cover really well, put a teeny tiny bit of non-hardening gasket sealer on the cover side of my new cork gasket, and snapped them back on. The hardest part of the whole thing was just wiggling the valve covers back into place.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

On to other things I've never done....
I set the static timing with a test light and hoped I got it right. I had watched a few videos about it, but was slightly confused with only having one mark on my pulley instead of 2 or 3, but in the end it seemed a big improvement.
Since she was running a little rough I decided to adjust the carburetor. I removed the drain on the side and checked for junk/debris, but it looked pretty clean. After watching a bunch of videos I tuned it to the best of my lacking abilities. It seemed more responsive and the idle was better so I crossed my fingers and prayed.

When I was done with the carburetor I figured I better install an air filter clamp since the dang thing just about fell off on the way home. I think I need to pick up a new air filter soon too, lol.
Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

Then it was onto some simple repairs....

I ended up replacing most of the wire ends on everything going to the engine due to poor crimps or just really crappy cheap terminals. Then I had to cut and splice a couple wires because the covering was cracked in a lot of places and I didn't want anything shorting out (bugs being known for engine fires and all, lol).

Speaking of engine fires, I bought some new hose and adjusted everything to keep my fuel filter away from the carburetor movements and not laying on my plug wires.

Then I adjusted my decklid because it was driving me crazy. All the bolts were loose and it was slopping around and trying to make my prop rod fall down all the time. I need to find a deck lid spring at the swap meet.

Once the decklid was safer I found the wires for the license plate light tucked between the firewall and the tar board. I was surprised (kinda) to see both the wires had bare ends and were probably touching each other and the firewall. I got them extended and connected so now the light works!

Dirtybugger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Dirty Buggers first bug!! 1969 sedan Reply with quote

My right brake light wasnt working on my way home so I figured I'd replace the brake bulbs. The right bulb was blown but a new one didn't light up. I pulled the left side and checked the wiring.... yup its wired differant. I rewired the right side and everything worked good.
Being that I'm a little anal about my wiring, I grabbed the dremel with a brass wire wheel and polished all the connections until everything was shiney and clean. I was rewarded with brighter tail lights, so it was totally worth the extra 5 minutes.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: