Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission shift difficulty 091
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission shift difficulty 091 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
define shifting issues. Grinding? Hard to find the gear? pops out of 4th? etc

generally, neutral to 1st and then 1st to second. 3 and 4 don't give me much gripe.

Sometimes after backing out of the driveway and trying to go to 1st will be like hitting a wall, cannot physically get the shifter to move to 1st or 2nd.

Or, it could be the clutch. 16 years old and has held up through some challenging terrain.

It really seems like I am restoring a bus that I restored 16-17 years ago. Everything is needing attention again.

I will try to upload a video of the movement I am seeing, and at very least some measurement of it. It's 115 F outside now. The bus is in the shade however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission shift difficulty 091 Reply with quote

had a few minutes and dropped by to show I am still alive. Smile Have been busy working on 300' of fence for neighbors when it isn't 110F here. Also remodeled 2 bathrooms. Bus has been whining that it is ignored lately.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission shift difficulty 091 Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
SGKent wrote:
define shifting issues. Grinding? Hard to find the gear? pops out of 4th? etc

generally, neutral to 1st and then 1st to second.

That could be a poorly adjusted or damage reverse lockout plate. My van was showing the same symptoms as well as slop in the gear stick, so I replaced the dead front bushing and installed a new coupler and then adjusted the lockout plate and it now shift A-1.

To adjust the lockout plate, put the shifter into second gear and push the lockout plate fully to the left. Then move the stick to the right to move the plate back towards the right about 1/16".
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission shift difficulty 091 Reply with quote

thanks for the hope wildthings. I really hope my misalignment of shifter plate and worn out front bushing are the source of this issue.

i really don't mind removing the powertrain because there are some things i'd like to tidy up with it out. but not if I don't have to.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission shift difficulty 091 Reply with quote

slowly putting the bus back together now it is only in the 100's.

just installed the shifter and adjusted.

in Neutral, my forward-back movement has 40mm of 'play measured at the center of the stock knob.

this is not the fault of a faulty coupler cage. I can see and feel the movement in the input shift shaft (hockey stick?).

still have a few more things to do before it will be running.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission shift difficulty 091 Reply with quote

thanks for all the input on this one.

no problem shifting through all gears with engine OFF. i would be really happy if it would behave like that on the road.

replacing clutch components and inspecting the selector mechanism under the nose cone is planned.
oldsolja02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re bay window speedometer 1971 Reply with quote

Where can i get my speedometer rebuilt?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: