Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dangerous driving, loose cargo stories.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

I witnessed a 18 wheeler driving erratic last night around 830 pm on a nearly empty freeway. He was all over the lanes, and shoulder, weaving at times, going 48 mph up to 70 mph, he nearly took out cars twice. Called the CHP and followed him for about 15 miles, near eight miles past my intended exit until the squad car caught up and pulled him over. Drunk maybe? It was crazy. He was getting close to a crowded inner city section of freeway (San Jose) less than ten minutes ahead. Drunks should be limited to golf carts, with no seatbelts, never an 18 wheeler.

What dangerous crazy driving, poorly secured load stories do you all have?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Link

Yes, there was a minivan between those two trucks.

https://images.app.goo.gl/7FkMMytBUkbRqXLA6

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

every swift truck

honestly I see this type of shit every day, I can't imagine following someone for 8 miles past my exit just to watch

Wednesday it was a giant catipillar loader bucket taking up two lanes, semi driver did have a wide load sign on the back, but no lead or chase cars, 65mph up I-45 in rush hour downtown traffic. I sped right past that shit and got clear out of the way. Not sure how what he was doing was legal but no cops out looking for that, so they get away with it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

I could write a novel about this driver.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Oh Mr. Cusser. I am so looking forward to the first chapter. Will it include additional photos as well.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Is the missus aware of your avatar?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Is the missus aware of your avatar?

She posed for it !!! And other photos of her I cannot share.

gt1953 wrote:
Oh Mr. Cusser. I am so looking forward to the first chapter.

The first chapter will detail how she ran a light that had been red for at least 15 seconds, at 45mph and never slowed down, the very first time I was ever a passenger in her car. And maybe detail the four times she knocked off a driver-side mirror while backing up a Suburban (driver side !!!). Or the two times she backed up into another vehicle in a store parking lot (those cost us a few thousand $$$).

gt1953 wrote:
Oh Mr. Cusser. Will it include additional photos as well.

Some of those additional photos are on my garage wall. Other photos have to remain private if I want my "parts" to remain intact.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Wink that is some seriously 'loose cargo' Very Happy Laughing

i have never seen a total failure , but i have seen porrly rigged mattresses folded ata a right angle from the wind and wondered about how someone could drive around like that and not be bothered. my worst fear is losing a huge load of metal im hauling or anything ever falling out of the back of my doka, especially when the tailgate is down. i actually made stainless steel struts to lay the tailgate flat to the bed and increased my length by almost two feet. i still go overboard with ratcheting straps though.
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

In NJ on I-80 West heading towards Stroudsburg Pa.

Traffic was light and I closed the gap on the vehicle in front of me.
This ended up being a Pickup with a small shed in the bed.
Just as I drew near and was about to change lanes and pass the truck, the shed literally blew out of the truck and ended up on it's roof sliding down I-80 at 65 mph. The roofing was setting up showers of sparks as it slid along.

Fortunately I had time to quickly change lanes and avoid hitting it.

What happened to it? No idea.........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
....but i have seen porrly rigged mattresses folded ata a right angle from the wind...

That reminds me, 20-25 years ago, a buddy & I were hauling a race car in heavy traffic when all of a sudden a mini van about 1/4 mile ahead of us & a lane over loses a new mattress. It sailed about 40-50 feet up in the air while slowly flipping. Two cars behind it managed to drive under it before it landed in front of a brand new Trans Am with 30 day tags. He slammed on the brakes as he hit it & the mattress rolled up like a giant Swiss Roll suspending the rear of the car about 3’ in the air.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Had a mattress blow off a minivan in front of me ~ two years ago
Dashcam got it -

Link

It was only held on by one strap in the middle, the front half was up waving in the wind, so I had been giving it some room.
Don't think anyone hit it, but I didn't go back.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

About a week ago I came up behind a lowboy hauling a combine that was wide enough to hang over the ditch on one side and 1/2 the on coming lane on the other side. Now way he would know who was behind him and no way to see past him but as he was going the speed limit and I was about 6 miles from my turn off - no problem - just cruise along - all is good. He should have had pilot cars both front and rear in communication but... there wasn't.

Then I look in my mirror and some jackass in a jacked up black Dodge 4X4 is behind us pulling out to pass rolling coal bug time, on an outside curve, uphill, double solid line, just enough room to squeeze past between the combine and the guard rail, now way in Hades to tell if there was oncoming traffic! GOOD LORD!!! I hit the brakes hard hoping to not get in on the carnage!

Horse shoes up his arse! No one was coming!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Actually, in 1994 or 1995 on a trip from Phoenix to California, had our 1984 Jeep Cherokee fully loaded up with the four of us, several suitcases on the roof rack arranged and secured with a Bungee Spider the same as when we had traveled to Iowa and back. About 45 minutes into the trip on I-10 West, some folks pulled up beside me and started waving frantically, a small suitcase of Mrs. Cusser's had fallen off. We exited the freeway and went back to the nearest entry and didn't know if we'd find a pile-up of 20 vehicles and dead bodies strewn across I-10 freeway, or simply bras and panties everywhere and could envision me running on to the freeway to grab some.

Anyway, we did find the suitcase intact, in the ditch on the side of the road, and resumed our journey. Of course we later had a huge blowout on an almost-new Michelin later in the dark (was rim-only, no rubber remaining), drove on the rim on the shoulder at 30 mph for 3 miles to reach a safe, lighted area to change the tire (I had checked tire pressures the day before). So when we finally reached the motel, it was shift change and a newbie attendant, so took us 45 minutes to get into the room even with our reservation.

That trip has now been designated as "the trip from hell" in Cusser history. K-Mart in Rancho Mirage area replaced the tire for free the next day. Michelin refused to pay for the steel trim ring that was lost in the blowout, detailed the blowout as "my fault".
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

our transfer station is about a mile from me as the crow flies. every weekend is a parade of trucks with loose trash cans and unsecured shit blowing down the streets. thinking of starting a youtube channel of these assholes. these are the same environmental twats that voted to ban straws...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

My granddad hit a piano on the freeway with his 65 Bug. Piano fell off a truck. Fortunately it was a grazing hit, only needed the fender replaced. Piano fared far worse.

For me a close one was a pipe on a truck. Zipping to work, I am hanging the clover leaf in my 914, as I catch up to a pickemup truck, bed full to the top, covered with a tarp, I notice a steel pipe about 8 feet long sitting on top of the tarp, moving around. I brake and back off, car behind me tail gates me now, When the clover leaf merges to the freeway, the car behind me zips past me, driver looking mad at me for my slowing down, just then the pipe comes off the truck, narrowly missing the car that zipped past me. Pipe tumbles end over end, but I am now far enough hack to avoid it.

Many years ago a lady was driving her daughter across on one of the Bay bridges here. Driver slumps over, and daughter takes control and stops the car, mom is dead. Ambulance crew shows up, first thought is she suffered a massive heart attack.
The coroner arrives to take the body, they unhook the seat belt, but cant remove her, she is stuck to the seat. Finally they figure it out, the unfortunte lady was impaled by a piece of rebar that was driven thru the floor board and seat. Loose loads kill!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
Had a mattress blow off a minivan in front of me ~ two years ago
Dashcam got it -

Link

It was only held on by one strap in the middle, the front half was up waving in the wind, so I had been giving it some room.
Don't think anyone hit it, but I didn't go back.

I've seen that tons of times and I always wondered if that would happen.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

When teaching my oldest daughter how to drive stick, started in my 1971 VW, later moved on to 1998 Frontier. She got a green light, moved forward, stalled it in the intersection. I told her to re-start it, and move through, but she did panic and stalled it again. So she opened the driver door and bolted out, truck in middle of busy intersection with 45mph speed.

I jumped out, ran around to driver side and jumped in, started it and backed it out of the intersection to safety. And even later found my daughter.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Back in the 80's I borrowed my boss's VW pickup to move an old wood desk in NYC.
With the desk tied in, drawers on the passenger side, I hung a fast left hand turn on a yellow light and as I was turning the desk drawers start sliding out, I can see them moving in the mirror, and all I can think of is the guy in the Trans-am that jumped the green was going to get a windshield full of wood drawers so I hit the brakes.
The drawers stopped sliding, and the Trans-am guy stopped before he T-boned me. I pulled over, closed the drawers, and wedged em tight with folded cardboard.
I stuck to right hand turns from there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
Wink that is some seriously 'loose cargo' Very Happy Laughing

I get it Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: dangerous driving, loose cargo stories. Reply with quote

Wink
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: