Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Potential new owner. Help please.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
yeah i mean, id get the motor too, you can always sell it if you decide not to upgrade but you may end up wanting to. i can haul a lot of stuff in my doka and the sinka is even better since its longer. if youre planning on just enjoying it here and there,then maybe its not worth putting the TD in (does it have the 6 rib trans in it?) if it does then it should bolt right up, the exhaust is different since turbo, paging waldo...how many miles are on the TD motor and does he know its history? he mustve been toying with doing it since hes got it around.

* i just saw your post about the rust and driving it... it sounds like you shoudl pass since youre not trying to get into another project! cool truck tho!

The TD he has is a 1.6 but an older no, no electronics on it. He said he got it from a mechanic. Says it should work. I think his plan was to just bolt the turbo components onto the existing engine as oppose to a full swap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

well dont do that, the turbo has different innard than the straight 1.6. ive heard that you can actually do more damage to a non TD by adding a turbo to it. rings etc...still a sinka is a mighty handy vehicle and if youre not afraid of body work then its a good deal...
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

outcaststudios wrote:
well dont do that, the turbo has different innard than the straight 1.6. ive heard that you can actually do more damage to a non TD by adding a turbo to it. rings etc...still a sinka is a mighty handy vehicle and if youre not afraid of body work then its a good deal...

There are 1.6 engines out there that were factory turboed, the Brazilian vans used them IIRC, if this is what he has it would like be the easiest swap out there.

In general it doesn't hurt a NA engine to add a turbo if you don't add extra fuel at the same time, as excess air will tend to lower engine temperatures. Just a couple of psi of boost will do, so don't go hog wild. Take a non turbo engine, add a turbo, and add extra fuel to get the power way up and yes you are likely damaging the 1.6 NA engine.
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

-Brakes had a very frim pedal but not much stopping ability. Don't know if that's normal
- Rust. There was rust. Including the top of the gas tank. Some of it had been patched which is cool but there are still a lot of holes here and there. It was in all sorts of different spots, hard for me to describe.
- The bed has been replaced with plywood.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't want this to be another project. I just wanted to drive it and not care too much about it. My fear is that it's hard at times staying on top of 2 old cars, 3 would be too much. I'm also unsure what driving at 95kph (less on the hills) to work everyday would do ot me after a while (Speed limits are 110 kph)

Cool vehicle though. I want to want it.

Firm pedal but not much braking could be a bad brake booster or vacuum line (i.e. the brake hydraulic system is intact but the power braking is not). Engine performance sounds about as expected for the diesel.

I am never going to dissuade someone from buying a vanagon, and as you can see from my signature I also have a soft spot for the doka/sinka models but this being said they are not *that* rare, particularly since you are in Canada. With this one if the rust is already that bad it is likely terminal without some seriously heroic effort from you so you have to ask yourself if you're looking for a VW that will still be in your collection in 20 years or if you're looking for a cool grocery getter that you will keep on the road until it decomposes completely… both are valid uses, my '86 syncro westy (the family weekend adventure vehicle) is in the former category and my '89 doka (the daily driver) is in the latter.

In his classic "how to keep your Volkswagen alive" book John Muir had a great pre-purchase method laid out to test the various systems of the air cooled VW. At the end he talks about taking a moment to just sit in the driver's seat and think about how you feel about this particular car and the vibe it gives you and whether this is the right one. I reflect on that advice whenever I am looking at a car or many other items (boats, watches, pianos, whatever). "I want to want it" sounds like this is not the one for you, but surely there is one out there that you will want.

Last but not least, they are indeed handy for hauling around boats!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:

Firm pedal but not much braking could be a bad brake booster or vacuum line (i.e. the brake hydraulic system is intact but the power braking is not). Engine performance sounds about as expected for the diesel.

I am never going to dissuade someone from buying a vanagon, and as you can see from my signature I also have a soft spot for the doka/sinka models but this being said they are not *that* rare, particularly since you are in Canada. With this one if the rust is already that bad it is likely terminal without some seriously heroic effort from you so you have to ask yourself if you're looking for a VW that will still be in your collection in 20 years or if you're looking for a cool grocery getter that you will keep on the road until it decomposes completely… both are valid uses, my '86 syncro westy (the family weekend adventure vehicle) is in the former category and my '89 doka (the daily driver) is in the latter.

In his classic "how to keep your Volkswagen alive" book John Muir had a great pre-purchase method laid out to test the various systems of the air cooled VW. At the end he talks about taking a moment to just sit in the driver's seat and think about how you feel about this particular car and the vibe it gives you and whether this is the right one. I reflect on that advice whenever I am looking at a car or many other items (boats, watches, pianos, whatever). "I want to want it" sounds like this is not the one for you, but surely there is one out there that you will want.

I think the goal for this is to replace my Tacoma that is only driven in the winter and when I need to haul something big/heavy. So the grocery getter that eventually dissolves into dust. The Tacoma is great but it's a pig on gas and just depreciates. Decent in the snow.

I think any rust remediation I would do wouldn't be to patch it in a professional 'can't tell it was ever patched' way but, rather, just weld on the patch and make it look like a patch. I don't think this will ever be restored.

The 'want to want' comment was more I want it but I have my doubts as to what I am getting into seeing as it will be my only winter car.

I recently started looking at classifieds in Europe. Seems Italy has a bunch of white ones in decent shape for not much coin. Anyone have experience with this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

Very well said, Grant.

— Colin Chapman
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

I recently started looking at classifieds in Europe. Seems Italy has a bunch of white ones in decent shape for not much coin. Anyone have experience with this?

Two well regarded resources for this search:
http://busman.be/
http://www.vw-tristar.com/
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

So I may have found a Doka about a 1 day drive from me. Buddy is going to send me more pictures.

-Been parked for a long time
-I believe it is the 2.1
-Got new heads before it was parked but nothing else
-Needs new fuel pump but he has it
-reported only to have rust on the fender flares and no where else.......
-something something bent shifter linkage

What's the 2.1l like in terms of reliablilty, longevity, power, and efficiency?

What's a ball park price?
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
So I may have found a Doka about a 1 day drive from me. Buddy is going to send me more pictures.

-Been parked for a long time
-I believe it is the 2.1
-Got new heads before it was parked but nothing else
-Needs new fuel pump but he has it
-reported only to have rust on the fender flares and no where else.......
-something something bent shifter linkage

What's the 2.1l like in terms of reliablilty, longevity, power, and efficiency?

What's a ball park price?

Share the pics when you can, that will help a bunch.

A base model 2wd doka (bench seats in front with a firewall dividing front and rear seats, only one rear door) with decent original paint and almost rust free would probably go for 5-7k in the states as a roller (no engine or trans).

A Tristar doka (read more about the model here: https://www.vw-tristar.com/vw.tristar.register.htm) with 4wd (Syncro) and a locking rear differential in good running condition with almost no rust would be more like 30-40k in the states to the right buyer.

So, quite a price range here depending on the model and specifics... not unlike a lot of other VWs that way.

Plenty of reading on the 2.1 in this forum, the design itself is fairly good (no ticking time bombs or major flaws) but is showing its age e.g. the plastic coolant lines running from engine to radiator are getting ancient and can fail or the ECU (remember this is an electronic fuel injection vehicle) can crap out after 30 years of vibrations finally breaks some solder loose. If you maintain it well and practice some preventative maintenance it is fairly reliable. There are also many engine swaps available that are DIY friendly. I swapped the engine in my westy for a Ford Zetec/Bostig for greater power, reliability and "get it from autozone" parts availability and am very happy with that decision. My daily driver Doka on the other hand has the original 2.1 DJ engine with a 5 speed and it is a perfect setup for that vehicle.

It would be worth finding out *which* 2.1 is in the candidate van... could be either an MV or a DJ engine. Easiest way to tell is looking at the stamping on the engine block, I believe this will be stamped approximately below the alternator. Alternatively the build sticker which appears under the dash just forward of the fuse box can tell you this and more, assuming the original engine is still in the van.

I would not sweat the linkage, fuel pump etc as these are straightforward fixes for anyone who is handy with a wrench.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

I hope the owner doesn't mind me posting pictures. It's parked on plastic which is good but it's been parked a while.

I have my doubts, seems like quite an undertaking just to get it roadworthy, which is the goal. No restoration.

All interior and exterior pieces are there he says.
Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

You’re looking at some major work right there. Not a “just get it roadworthy” at all.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

Do we really say anything here? Those pictures tell quite a story.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

Ya, that's sort of what I figured. Unfortunate, it was probably a lot better when it was parked.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

That’s a hard pass on that one. Total neglect is just as expensive to repair as abuse
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

Those pictures really make me like my Toyota truck. At 18 years old it has never needed anything more than routine maintenance. My vanagon has had four engines and two transmission maybe three to go the same number of miles. I love toy cars but getting to work the Toyota wins every time. But it does not make me smile like the van or my mx5. Just my thoughts. John
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential new owner. Help please. Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
Those pictures really make me like my Toyota truck. At 18 years old it has never needed anything more than routine maintenance. My vanagon has had four engines and two transmission maybe three to go the same number of miles. I love toy cars but getting to work the Toyota wins every time. But it does not make me smile like the van or my mx5. Just my thoughts. John

I think the same. Something like a Honda Civic or a Toyota Corolla are the most amazing cars, they're just soulless and numb. Driving my Type 3 makes me smile even though it is inferior in every quantitative way.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: