Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Manometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Manometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater... Reply with quote

My Propex 2211 seemed to be underperforming compared to what I’d heard from others. Overall, it didn’t seem to get the van as warm as others would say and the temp at the outlet was about 150* F, less than Karl Mullendore’s (WestyVentures) suggested 190 - 200* F.

Karl often recommends checking the propane regulator for 11” water column. So I checked the Marshall two-stage regulator that the PO installed about a decade ago.

Manometer setup: 8’ of 5/16” id x 7/16” od clear hose attached to a board with horizontal lines at 1/2”. (Choose any diameter hose, physics doesn’t care.)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The 7/16” hose fits nicely into a stove valve body with the stem removed (my Marshall two-stage regulator does not have ports where a manometer can be connected)...

Coffee tinted water (no food coloring in the house...I haven’t colored easter eggs in decades) at 0” with the main propane closed...

8” initial water column has the Propex delivering about 150* F at the outlet and sometimes cycling off...

Adjusting the Marshall two-stage regulator to a 12” water column has the Propex delivering 180* F at the outlet...

179.8 -185* F measured on three different thermometers...

I’ll still measure output temp at the furnace (I tested t briefly and saw 190* F) and add some insulation around the ducts to see if I can deliver more heat to the inside of the van.

Moral of the story, if your propane appliances aren’t working as expected, measure the regulator. Then track down the bugs and dust in the jets. (Moral #2, listen to Karl Smile )

Now I just need to wait for some cold weather to give it a good test!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Monometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater... Reply with quote

Neat set up. I found a similar mal-adjustment of my regulator by this method also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Monometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater... Reply with quote

Now that's some Samba action.

My stove flames out when turning hard-right to the "low-stop" position.
Does that suggest low propane pressure too?

Removing the Stove Face Plate: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8117329#8117329
(excellent pictorial bummered by photobucket nonsense)
Would be great if member davideric could put these pics into TheSamba gallery!!

Regarding removal of the stove face plate. Are you testing for 11" water column with appliances burning (all of them)?
Or static pressure?
If static, can't you choose the "easiest location" to measure the 11"WC pressure?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Monometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater... Reply with quote

The stoves have a second pressure regulator installed. I have found that even with the proper pressure at the valve the orifices in the stove valve is too small and benefits by increasing it 1 number size which I forget. Simmers perfectly afterwards. Be sure to use high temperature graphite gease.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Monometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater... Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Now that's some Samba action.

Are you testing for 11" water column with appliances burning (all of them)?
Or static pressure?

If static, can't you choose the "easiest location" to measure the 11"WC pressure?

1) I was suspicious of low pressure causing the burner to go out when turning the valve but the increased pressure hasn’t changed that yet. My ‘85 did not have that problem but my ‘90 does. Today’s project is cleaning up the valves to see if some grease is obstructing the orifice.

Looking at the great stove valve rebuild thread shows the two different orifices. The tiny one is for simmer at full counter-clockwise, the 1/8” orifice allows the flame to be adjusted from low to high. The no-man’s land in between seems to be the source of zero propane when turning the knob. I also may have some grease in the valve body obstructing the flow when the knob is in that spot. Alternatively, we can learn to twist the knob fast enough to not lose the flame.

A few folks mention the same syndrome here...

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=544333

2) I’m testing both static pressure and with all appliances running. E regulator is doing its job.

3) I think you can test both static and dynamic pressures anywhere in the system...but as dgbeatty points out, there is a small regulator before the stove valves. I’ll probably test pressure somewhere in the system before the stove regulator.

Phun with physics!

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Monometer to test propane pressure, esp. for Propex heater... Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

Nope. I found that adjusting the regulator to the correct pressure did not fix this problem.

I did find that following these directions did (see video in my post for what can be in your future Smile).
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9190378#9190378

Here's the result...

Link

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: