Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tail light bezel seals from WW
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amv101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

I ordered some new tail light seals for my '63 from wolfsburg west. They are different than the ones I have currently installed.

The ones WW sells are like a light grey foam and cut on the ends. The ones I have installed are black rubber and a single piece.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111945235B

I imagine the grey foam ones are replicas from the stock ones?

Any ideas?... thanks!
jzjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very good, I used them last year. Apply the seals into the groove, and seat it evenly all the way around. You can use a small fine screwdriver to tuck it into the groove. There will be a round surface that will effect the seal, after some years it will look like the rectangular seals that you observed when you were replacing them. Very Happy
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen many original tail lights with the lens/bezel seals a light gray color just like the ones that WW sells. And as mentioned, after a while the WW ones end up looking the same. (makes me wonder if maybe the originals weren't that way as well)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original ones are a light gray with some dirt thrown in.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

Bringing up an old thread.

Purchased some new seals for the original ones on the '64.

I probably ditched the old rotten seals thinking I'll just buy new ones.

These are way too big to fit in the groove. My calipers show the grey foam is 8mm thick. The groove between the bezel and tail light is roughly 4.3mm.

The listing is for '62-'67 beetles. No mention of the size. I will send out an email to them.

Thoughts?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Mike Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

Incorrect seal. Try WCM, they have lens to housing seal. WCM makes really nice rubber.
Cheers!
Mike
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

Mr. Mike wrote:
Incorrect seal. Try WCM, they have lens to housing seal. WCM makes really nice rubber.
Cheers!
Mike

Looks like the same one I got from WCM. https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22964424-111-945-235ar.html?q=tail+light+seal
wdfifteen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

They look about right to me. Put a couple of dabs of silicone sealer in the groove at the top and sides to hold the seal in place. Push the seal into the groove, it's very spongy and will squish down in there. Leave the ends loose until the silicone sets up or you will be wrassling snakes trying to get it in right. Once it's set up use an Exacto knife to trim the ends to length so they butt up together.
Install on taillight unit.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Really - tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

Is there a better version of this grey foam. I don't see how that will mash in there and also not show from the outside of bezel.

Question Shocked
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

I haven't tried these personally, but this style seems to be about the only available alternative to the ones already shown earlier in the thread.
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-945-235-b2/
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Really - tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

DesertG wrote:
Is there a better version of this grey foam. I don't see how that will mash in there and also not show from the outside of bezel.

Question Shocked

When you tighten the taillights down they squeeze the gasket flushed. If they did not do this then water would end up in taillights every time it rained.
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I haven't tried these personally, but this style seems to be about the only available alternative to the ones already shown earlier in the thread.
https://www2.cip1.com/c24-111-945-235-b2/

I tried those. They were subpar imo. So that is why I bought the gray ones.
DesertG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

I tried using contact cement and make a mess, and gave up. Used solvent to clean up the glue off the chrome and will just run without a seal. It does not rain when I live and I won't have the car in the rain. Dancing
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: tail light bezel seals from WW Reply with quote

I used foam tape from hardware store

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: