Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New adventure on an Early Hightop Deluxe
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: New adventure on an Early Hightop Deluxe Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I recently bought this Early Bay Hightop Deluxe Bus, doesnt have trans, front or rear suspension, interiors were trash, just removed then.

Bought it as it is and was on the ground, couldnt check the chassis but still good, until I saw that the previous owner hacked the rear torsion tube Sad
Found a motor mount, return gas lane, and a shotgun shell Surprised

I have another early bay tintop, its very rusty, lots of bondo and need atleast 6K in bodywork and frame restoration. In thinking in cutting and welding the torsion tube from the tintop to the hightop since the tintop will become more of a Baja Project (front and rear suspension of a Vanagon haha).

Here are some pics of how it was and how it looks with less junk inside.

Any tips of restoration, where to get parts, etc. let me know.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On our way home

1970 liften with 72 front disc brakes

Does anyone have any info on this company?

Anyone knows whats missing? Sad

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: New adventure on an Early Hightop Deluxe Reply with quote

Damn, that bus has had a hard life. But thank you for seeing the potential in it and taking care of it!

What parts you need are going to depend on what systems you plan on tackling.

I like JBugs for brake parts, they have the exact same good German stuff like everybody else, but a little cheaper. Plus, they are good dudes in the store here. Hablan Espaņol.

AirHeadParts.com in Ventura, CA is also a good outfit, they have tons of used parts from various VW's over the years, and they have a bigger Vanagon selection than a lot of others in our region.

There are others, but those two consistently give me the best customer service. An honorary mention goes to the half-dozen people on here who have their own parts restoration business. MANY functional parts like carbs, distributors, fuel pumps, and other items are available from people here who do BETTER restorations than new parts can do, and for the same or less money. They're the real MVP's.

If you have specific questions about parts and procedures, ask away!

See you on the road,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gubdonem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: New adventure on an Early Hightop Deluxe Reply with quote

[Thanks a lot, its way harder to new parts for.old buses here in Mexico, good thing is I live close to the border and have friends tjat live next to it.

It will be a long road but It will shine sooner or later. I wont paint it, it will have its paint just buffed and polished, only problem will be the driver and copilot doors since they are missing and my donor bus has them white, needs little patches here and there but the biggest concern is the rear torsio tube and part of the chassis. Friend of mine built a jig for his brothers buses so I might use it. It wont be lower or standard height, I will raise it and put bigass wheels and tires so I can travel Baja and get to difficult places 🙌

Rubbers will be an issue on all the windows, which are cheap/good quality ones? also Ive heard that I can buy bew full elrctric wiring. Since my other bus has almost new brakes/lines, cables I wont need to buy em new but will do as soon as I get the money.

Thanks for your imput.

Lui
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New adventure on an Early Hightop Deluxe Reply with quote

New wiring looms are available. I know many people that have used them, though I have no experience myself.

For rubbers, some people like West Coast Metric, some people like Wolfsburg West. Usually the more you spend, the better the product. (A few dollars difference is usually up for debate, but remember that every that buys the $50 rear hatch seal has to eventually buy the $100 hatch seal if they want it to shut. AirHead Parts is the ONLY place to get front cab door seals; they make their own and they fit nicer.

Good luck!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: New adventure on an Early Hightop Deluxe Reply with quote

The time you waste on poor quality rubber products never makes up for the few dollars saved. I have rear torsion housings already cut that could be shipped greyhound to SD , PM for details. I have 2 hightops-love em"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: