Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch/Shifting Issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Ok, I was driving my 1966 Beetle home the other day and shifted from first to second, and it wouldn't go into second. I tried all the gears and got nothing. Clutch pedal felt like it went way out of adjustment. I was finally able to get it into first and get it home. I pulled the clutch cable thinking that it was frayed or stretching, but it looked good. No damage so I pulled the engine to get a look at the clutch and the clutch fork and bearing. Looks good too. I can run through the gears no problem with the car off. I've attached photos (except for cable) to confirm things aren't out of whack. The clutch pedal hook looks worn but not damaged. Kinda stumped on what was going on. I wanted to get opinions before putting it all back together. Thanks!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Clutch cable tube probably broke free of the welds. Unfortunately it's not uncommon, and a real PITA to fix.

Take the shifter out and look in the tunnel for the clutch tube. Press the clutch. Did the tube move?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Clutch cable tube probably broke free of the welds. Unfortunately it's not uncommon, and a real PITA to fix.

Take the shifter out and look in the tunnel for the clutch tube. Press the clutch. Did the tube move?

This. And also check the clutch PEDAL itself for cracking.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Should have said this: I checked the clutch cable tube in the tunnel. Fron and back welds good and solid. The one in the tunnel by the E-Brake is being held in place by a hook of some sort installed by a previous owner. But it is very solid and nothing is moving. Used a camera snake to get in there and look at it.

I tried moving it around with a screwdriver and nothing moved. But that was without the clutch hooked up and cable in it. Perhaps the pressure from the cable would move it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

^^^^^ Check this. I have had this happen many years ago.
Look where the pin passes through the pedal and the shaft for a crack.
It can be welded if your on a budget. Or just source a new clutch pedal.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Quote:
I pulled the clutch cable thinking that it was frayed or stretching, but it looked good.

Did you actually measure the cable to be certain it hasn't stretched?
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Measured cable and it has not stretched. Here is a pic of the pedal. PO already welded the clutch pedal together.

KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Cusser wrote:

^^^^^ Check this. I have had this happen many years ago.
Look where the pin passes through the pedal and the shaft for a crack.
It can be welded if your on a budget. Or just source a new clutch pedal.

Good Luck.

Yep, happened to mine, too.
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Well, I went through everything and it all looked good, so I put it back together and adjusted the clutch. Pressed on it a few times and bam! the weld near the parking brake broke. Ugh. Thanks for the help - I will be reading up on the fix.
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

Here is a pic I took with the scope camera, not great. So this is just behind the E-brake. When I put a screwdriver in the gaps around the E-brake and press on this area is moves around, but with the clutch, it moves very little. Almost imperceptible movement. Can someone confirm that since this tab is moving, it needs to be rewelded?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

mnkytail wrote:
Here is a pic I took with the scope camera, not great. So this is just behind the E-brake. When I put a screwdriver in the gaps around the E-brake and press on this area is moves around, but with the clutch, it moves very little. Almost imperceptible movement. Can someone confirm that since this tab is moving, it needs to be rewelded?

That is the middle weld of the clutch cable tube. It is a very common break. Open the tunnel on the passenger side. Weld the broken tab, then close the cover and weld it closed.

This is the broken tab. The one to the right of the PO,s J bolt and wire tie!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mnkytail
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch/Shifting Issues Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
mnkytail wrote:

That is the middle weld of the clutch cable tube. It is a very common break. Open the tunnel on the passenger side. Weld the broken tab, then close the cover and weld it closed.

This is the broken tab. The one to the right of the PO,s J bolt and wire tie!

Awesome thanks! I've heard it is better to not cut right angles in the tunnel as it can lead to cracks. Any concerns for that?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: