Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweetleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

9 years ago I acquired a 1967 Canadian Custom. I am the 3rd owner.

It has many original details but has had upgrades such as carpeted floor and a new gas tank. I have sent away to VW for the "birth certificate" and have a letter of confirmation that it is numbers matching and the paint & upholstery are correct. I have an owners manual, repair manual, and car cover.

To my knowledge, it was repainted once, but it's not museum condition. There are knicks and bubbles here and there. It's a very driveable and enjoyable car with no issues and has been stored indoors.

I am looking for insight as to an approx. value I should be asking for this car. I understand that '67 is a desirable year and that Canadian Customs are rare, but I am not sure that this necessarily means it is worth top dollar.

I am located in British Columbia, Canada.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Nice car!

The M051 on your BS is "Prepared for subsequent installation of second alternator." That's the second Canadian car I've seen with that option. The other is a 68 Ghia that was subsequently imported to India. Wonder if it was for a police/emergency use - for added radio?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
Nice car!

The M051 on your BS is "Prepared for subsequent installation of second alternator." That's the second Canadian car I've seen with that option. The other is a 68 Ghia that was subsequently imported to India. Wonder if it was for a police/emergency use - for added radio?

I think your translation of M051 is incorrect. My 66 Deluxe has that same line on the Birth Certificate ...and my 66 is a factory-original 6 volt generator system, not an "alternator" system .....

That being said, I think any car (67 Cdn Std Beetles included) is worth what the market says it is. So ...advertise it for "$10K CDN or best offer" see what kind of offers you get. If you get several offers at say, $7K ..then that's what its worth. If you get people jumping on the $10K price ...then perhaps re-advertise if for $15K and go thru the process again.
sweetleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your input!

As much as I'd like to believe it was a police car, I purchased it from the 2nd owner who therefore knew the original owners: a married couple in the Vancouver area.

There is a light on the dash above the speedo which I'm not sure what it is for.. Maybe a gas heater? There is no heater present from what I can tell.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

If it has a factory installed gas heater, it will be a Webasto unit, and will be installed above the transmission. It would have a control knob on the lower dash, to the right of the ash tray. Literature says 'all' 65 and later beetles had factory installed 'auxiliary heaters' ....but I know from experience that is not accurate.
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
If it has a factory installed gas heater, it will be a Webasto unit, and will be installed above the transmission. It would have a control knob on the lower dash, to the right of the ash tray. Literature says 'all' 65 and later beetles had factory installed 'auxiliary heaters' ....but I know from experience that is not accurate.

True. I owned 2 ‘67 deluxe (exported to Canada). One had the heater and one did not. My brother had a ‘67 as well but no auxiliary heater on his. Those heaters really worked in the cold Canadian winters. I have seen those heaters on multiple bugs and they were always 1967. There were also the larger gas heaters mounted in he front trunk. My 1970 convertible had one. They worked well (when they worked).

From the gallery

bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Perhaps M051 indicated pre-wiring for heater?
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Even the 1964 Canadian VW advertising literature claims that the VW bugs had 2 separate heaters. This was true even for the Canadian Custom. False advertising?? My friend purchased a brand new 1964. There was definitely no gas heater in his.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/64full_line_canada/page2.jpg
sweetleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Okay, definitely no heater then and no sign of one being bolted in at one time. Vancouver isn't exceptionally cold so I understand why these people would have cheaped out.

Still so much fun learning about this car, I'll be sad to see it go.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Here we go highjacking another thread! Sorry about that! The three 66's that I have now (strangely enough) all have the auxiliary heaters. And yes, the cars were factory-wired for the gas heaters ...the wiring to the front dash control was wired INSIDE the main wiring harness ...not an add-on by the dealer. Some speculate that the cars that didn't have the auxilliary heaters were 'grey market' cars brought into Canada from the US by 'unscrupulous' dealers. Not sure what the full story is there. There is a separate thread on here about the Canadian gas heater mystery that I started a few years ago. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652737&postorder=asc
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

This might be a good indicator of value:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-beetle-36/

Don
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

Don

Yeah ...so about $10K CDN dollars ...
sweetleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's help very much Very Happy
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
sunroof wrote:

Don

Yeah ...so about $10K CDN dollars ...

Certainly in the ballpark. I have heard that importing Canadian cars to the US is troublesome and, thus, affects values. Since it seems apropos to this thread, I was wondering if anyone has experience importing cars from the great white north recently and what was required. I wanted to do this some years ago and finally gave up as there was too much involved.

BTW, it's a nice looking car! The reverse lights are mounted in an interesting fashion Razz

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

I based my $10K CDN guesstimate on the 32% exchange rate from USD to CDN$.
Yes...shipping CDN cars to the US can be a challenge. People expect the Canadian seller to do all the paperwork as the "exporter" ...but it works the other way: the US seller has to do most of the paperwork as the 'importer'.
I (we) got about 50% of the way there (shipping a 64 bug from Sask, Canada to North Carolina) and then the importer got overwhelmed by the paperwork and the deal fell apart. There are issues around 'titles' (proof of ownership): most US states require that the importer produce a 'title' document ....which is not used in Canada ....we use a Bill of Sale and proof of registration. US officials don't care about that ....they want a "Title" and nothing less. Frustrating.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

I think it is easier if you drive the car across. Some US states have a option for titling a car with "bonded title." It is a process that requires bill of sale only. The only drawback I would see in the whole thing past the paperwork is the added expense. Here in texas it ran me about 500 bucks to receive my bonded title application. Add o to that the import fees and it is enough that you need to factor it into your negotiations on purchase price.
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

Digger89L wrote:
There are issues around 'titles' (proof of ownership): most US states require that the importer produce a 'title' document ....which is not used in Canada ....we use a Bill of Sale and proof of registration. US officials don't care about that ....they want a "Title" and nothing less. Frustrating.

Which is interesting, given that a number of states no longer issue titles for older cars; simply owner registrations and bills of sale. Yet this issue often kills sales of great cars from Canada. And it's not just old cars. I am in the market for a BMW 1M and noticed that those sold on BAT in Canada sold for far less than those in the US. Apparently, the import aggravations traverse all year cars. Confused

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

A pretty original 67 didn’t sell on BAT today at $14k. (Didn’t meet reserve)
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Looking to value / sell my 1967 Canadian Custom Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
A pretty original 67 didn’t sell on BAT today at $14k. (Didn’t meet reserve)

Wow, it looks like a nice one! I bet in the US it would have sold for upper teens, if not low 20s. That kind of documentation (not to mention condition) is rare! I'd love to have that car!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-volkswagen-beetle-30/

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: