Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Would you Buy?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Considering a 1973 Beetle. Floor rotted out, heater channels rotted out. New floor boards and heater channels are provided, but not installed.
Will need spare tire tub purchased and welded in, both lower rear quarters, possibly both rear fenders. I plan on doing all the work, if I can.

Car runs, but probably will need rebuilt due to excess end play.

Has decent seats, no radio, all glass good, doors good.

I've never taken on a project like this, but am considering it.

Would this be worth purchasing? Based on my description, what is the max someone would pay?

Thanks
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

I would walk away as from your description it is full or rust and more rust. If it were me I would purchase a vehicle west of the continental divide. No rust which is a savings.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Have you look for a vw in same area, that doesn't need as much work as the 73? Do you want to spend your free time welding or driving a vw? My opinion is, only rare vw's rust buckets are worth saving, everything else is a parts cars.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dubsteez79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

I wouldnt pay more than 300-400 for it if it came with a clean title. I paid 75$ for the shell I used and it only had the death foam rust to contend with. Only paid $200-300 for the complete car I pulled everything from. I did have to bond mine to get a title, which isnt difficult, but is something to consider.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
I would walk away as from your description it is full or rust and more rust. Way to much work in my opinion. If it were me I would purchase a vehicle west of the continental divide. No rust which is a savings.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

If you have the skills to rebuild the car from the ground up, then buy it ... for cheap.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

You will have a big pile of junk in your garage for years . If they paid you $500. to hall it away take it and hall it to the recyclers and get an extra $75. for it.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Okay, sounds like the consensus is to skip it. I may just do that. There is also a Ghia that has already been glass blasted, so some rust found in headlight buckets, looks like battery area, a little on bottom panels. Not as bad. Don't know if it runs though. Might be a better purchase than the Beetle... Smile
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Okay, sounds like the consensus is to skip it. I may just do that. There is also a Ghia that has already been glass blasted, so some rust found in headlight buckets, looks like battery area, a little on bottom panels. Not as bad. Don't know if it runs though. Might be a better purchase than the Beetle... Smile

Do your homework first,before buying a ghia. It may have rot in places you have not seen yet. Seals/body panels are not cheap.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Doesn't matter if it runs. The engine is the easiest and cheapest thing to deal with.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Walk away as fast as you can and don't look back.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGED11111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Depends on your bodywork skills and patience. I wouldn't touch it, but other people might. I've seen some real rust buckets come back to life but it took years and more money than they would like to admit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:

DO this^^^ and visit the Ghia forums. But a coach built car from your end of the country in repairable shape is considerably rarer and special than a run-of-the-mill rusty gonna hate myself late beetle.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. That is what I wanted to hear. Kinda makes me think about buying one out West and just having it shipped here.

However, one more to consider. This same guy has a rag top body is off of the frame. It does need painted, but pan is good. He just put in heater channels. Says he has seats (can't remember how good they are), but he said he can put together a motor and sell the package deal for $3k. Just have to finish. Is this one "rare" enough to take on?

Bob
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

What kind of money are you talking for the bug or the Ghia?

What kind of rust? (On the Ghia)

If the bug or Ghia is $200-$400, then get one or the other, get it up & running & beat the hell out of it as a fun car. If they're worse than you initially thought, you can EASILY find someone to buy them, or parts off of them for your initial investment.

A rough car is more fun than a perfect car, you can drive them without worrying about getting bumped & bruised.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Asking price on Bug $600, Ghia $800. Looks like Ghia floors are also rusted up near heater channel on drivers side. Ghia will need painted. It is basically bare metal right now from glass blasting.

Those are asking prices, might get them for less possibly. Haven't offered anything yet. Just kicking it around.

TDCTDI wrote:
What kind of money are you talking for the bug or the Ghia?

What kind of rust? (On the Ghia)

If the bug or Ghia is $200-$400, then get one or the other, get it up & running & beat the hell out of it as a fun car. If they're worse than you initially thought, you can EASILY find someone to buy them, or parts off of them for your initial investment.

A rough car is more fun than a perfect car, you can drive them without worrying about getting bumped & bruised.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

Post some pics of the rust in the Ghia threads, they'll be happy to pick it apart for you. If it's complete & you're wanting or willing to learn how to do the repairs, it's a good place to learn.

I guarantee you that I have more fun in my POS than anyone does in a pristine car.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I literally drove this beast 60' up the tiered embankments to get this shot.

A car that has been blasted is about as honest as it can get. See if you can score it for less, if you're still interested in it after a thorough inspection. I still think that you can recoup your money if you get in over your head with it at $800, especially in the NE.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

West of the continental divide or even west Texas are good places to find dry running vehicles. Not sure what you price range is, as others have mentioned body work is time consuming and can get pricey. A battery tray is one thing and even out west you may have to replace it.
Take your time and keep scouting searching as a vehicle will show up.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

We don’t know why but about once a month a person will offer up a scenario similar to what you’ve said. As if VWs are rare but in fact if you buy from dry desert southwest you can get a great car for about the same as a rust bucket. This begs the question wh6 waste your time ? There is a small contingent of folks here that enjoy taking on big projects and maybe including their children in the fun of hundreds of hours in fabrication and repair. The old Kawasaki ad different strokes for different folks comes to mind here. If the prospect of breathing noxious fumes and spending way more than the car will ever be worth then by all means buy a rust bucket. What never gets discussed is even if you manage to piece a car back together is it structurally sound How will all those patch panels protect you in an accident? Don’t know about you but I’ve got better things to do. Very Happy you’ll be money ahead to buy a solid car leave the rust buckets for the hero’s.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you Buy? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. That is what I wanted to hear. Kinda makes me think about buying one out West and just having it shipped here.

However, one more to consider. This same guy has a rag top body is off of the frame. It does need painted, but pan is good. He just put in heater channels. Says he has seats (can't remember how good they are), but he said he can put together a motor and sell the package deal for $3k. Just have to finish. Is this one "rare" enough to take on?

Bob

Is the rag top car, a real rag top car? or did someone weld it in? Does it have matching body,pan vin numbers? Are the front & rear aprons/all 4 fenders original?,etc.

02/76 Beetle sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: