Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

I just received my WW Okrasa kit yesterday, and was excited until I had a look in the manifolds and one of the carbs.

I see a fair amount of rust, welding flash, cold welds and wire ends sticking out. There would be a major issue if these were to break off and go down in the engine, and at the very least horsepower would be robbed due to the fuel mixture having a less than smooth path to travel. See pictures below.

Also on one of the PCIB carbs there is what looks like either a scoring mark or a crack where the throttle shaft meets the carb.

Has anyone else seen these issues with their Okrasa kits? Fyi I emailed WW this morning and haven't received a response. I also called them, and was told someone would call me back, but nothing yet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Wouldn't you know it, as soon as I posted this, they emailed me back. In fairness to WW I'm posting up the reply:

Hello

Thank you for the photos.

The manifolds we offer are consistent with the photos you’ve sent. Original manifolds had the same issues.

Regarding the carburetor, I believe the line is from machining. If you have any problems with it, please let us know, and we’ll be glad to inspect and replace if needed.

Feel free to email with any further questions.

Thank you.
Sean
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
I just received my WW Okrasa kit yesterday, and was excited until I had a look in the manifolds and one of the carbs.

I see a fair amount of rust, welding flash, cold welds and wire ends sticking out. There would be a major issue if these were to break off and go down in the engine, and at the very least horsepower would be robbed due to the fuel mixture having a less than smooth path to travel. See pictures below.

Also on one of the PCIB carbs there is what looks like either a scoring mark or a crack where the throttle shaft meets the carb.

Has anyone else seen these issues with their Okrasa kits? Fyi I emailed WW this morning and haven't received a response. I also called them, and was told someone would call me back, but nothing yet.

Those carbs always seem to have problems ask joe ruiz aka "mr. okrasa" he rebuilds them do to there issues...i would recommend to everybody just buy the ww heads with no carbs and buy carbs from Joe Ruiz he seems to have alot of carbs rebuild the right way and ready to ship 👍👍..ww seems to never email or call back on things like this you have to keep hitting them up untill they get the point that there's a problem ...you can clean up the welds with a drill mill or such tools also it's just gonna take time to do but nothing major ...we all want things come out perfect out the box but in the real world nothing is ....

Last edited by [email protected] on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

That's pretty nasty looking in there and that response is lame. So they did a shitty job 60 years ago, so that excuses doing a shitty job today?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
TRS63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
That's pretty nasty looking in there and that response is lame. So they did a shitty job 60 years ago, so that excuses doing a shitty job today?

Exactly what I was thinking.. Rolling Eyes Confused

Antoine
My 914 restoration&lightweight project :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9698432#9698432
Resurrecting a 60 ghia : https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=713906
My 52 Standard Zwitter :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10086685#10086685
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

I agree - weak response and shoddy welding!

I bought an extra long extension and grinding stone and I'm going to try and smooth out this mess a little at least.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

they all have this issue, therefore you need to grind it with a dremel or a similar tool. While working on the manifolds, please place a gasket on the cylinder head side and match port that side, because it is way of and restricting airflow ALOT!

also check the exhaust ports, easily to put a gasket over the studs and check if the port is centered, as mine were off.

also removed some minor burrs in the inlet port of the heads.

I was not impressed by the quality of the WW kit I threw away the manifolds and carbs and converted it to zenith 38NDIX. After 7.000 miles also replaced the valves in the heads. Also had issues with the head, the well known blow by between cylinder and head, so went for the 80mm bore AA PC to finally solve it.
So in the end it would have been the best is to buy empty heads, bore it to 83mm, choose your own valves (BE Ferrea) and some nice carbs...

even if your carbs are reworked, check and remove the carb as well for burrs, this to optimize the inlet air flow.

all the small bits help to get a nice output and smooth running engine.

and make sure the jetting is right for YOUR engine!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Thanks. I see in your sig you are still at 1192cc, but with 80s aren't you at 1286cc or so?

I like what you have done with your engine. I will definitely try and match the manifold to head and exhaust outlets to the gaskets.

I am working on grinding out the junk from these manifolds, and I bought an extra-long extension and grinding stone for my drill to help with that.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:
Thanks. I see in your sig you are still at 1192cc, but with 80s aren't you at 1286cc or so?

I like what you have done with your engine. I will definitely try and match the manifold to head and exhaust outlets to the gaskets.

I am working on grinding out the junk from these manifolds, and I bought an extra-long extension and grinding stone for my drill to help with that.

And once your done your gonna feel great like dang I did a great job ...little things can get to us but once we fix those little things .we fill like were on top of the world 🤣🤣 ...just take your time and next min you will be done 👍👍👍...post some pictures after your done 👍👍

Last edited by [email protected] on Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Those 'flaps' of steel would not treat the engine nicely if one broke loose.

Pick up an air or electric die grinder, Harbor Freight quality will do, they come with a 1/4" collet to accept 1/4" shank carbide burrs and cartridge sanding rolls

https://www.eastwood.com/1-4in-shaft-double-cut-6in-burr.html

https://www.eastwood.com/engine-porting-kit.html

Then go to town cleaning up the inside of the manifolds.
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
fl59bug wrote:

And once your done your gonna feel great like dang I did a great job ...little things can get to us but once we fix those little things we fill like we on to of the world 🤣🤣 ...just take your time and next min you will be done 👍👍👍...post some pictures after your done 👍👍

Thanks for the encouragement, I will post up pics of my progress. I really appreciate everyone taking time to offer suggestions and alternatives!
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

TomSimon wrote:
Those 'flaps' of steel would not treat the engine nicely if one broke loose.

Pick up an air or electric die grinder, Harbor Freight quality will do, they come with a 1/4" collet to accept 1/4" shank carbide burrs and cartridge sanding rolls

Then go to town cleaning up the inside of the manifolds.

Thank you very much! I was looking for something just like these. They look like they will reach down in that elongated manifold and take care of business.
Mr. Okrasa Premium Member
Original Old Speed

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Send me your carbs. I install the correct jets, rebush throttle shafts and install the correct venturi. Have you seen my ads that offer this service?
Nothing more frustrating than trying to set-up your carbs and nothing is working.... Crying or Very sad

See my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/okrasa/

1959 VW Karmann Ghia Coupe / Bamboo-Green / Denzel 1300cc / OG. owner, paint Wink

Denzel engine running. See this link: https://youtu.be/DgUlsQDTXTE

VW www.Okrasa.com
356 www.PreA356.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Mr. Okrasa wrote:
Send me your carbs. I install the correct jets, rebush throttle shafts and install the correct venturi. Have you seen my ads that offer this service?
Nothing more frustrating than trying to set-up your carbs and nothing is working.... Crying or Very sad

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind to help out with any issues with these carbs!

To get those manifolds to my liking, I'm working right now on securing the following:

https://www.harborfreight.com/corded-14-in-43-amp-long-shaft-die-grinder-60656.html

https://www.eastwood.com/long-reach-carbide-burr-set-4-piece.html
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

All you need is the 4 piece bit set and the porting kit, the other bits are just extra. You could probably just get away with one bit and the porting kit, but the other shaped bits are nice, I use my ball bit a lot.

brad
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Looking to get the 4 pc and porting kit shortly. Gotta let the wallet recover after going on a spending spree lol.

Looks like the manifolds don't just slide right over the studs on the heads either and will need some finessing. I tried to double nut the head-manifold studs out, fit the manifold then screw the remaining studs back in but the holes in the manifolds will need to be wallowed out a little, in particular the inner of the 3 studs. So that is on the to-do list as well. I do know that this fitment work is "normal" and so I'm not whining about it just mentioning to hopefully let others thinking about purchasing the kit know what needs to be done.

I did ensure the carbs and air cleaners go together and bolt onto the manifolds and that looks to be no problem.
JeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

fl59bug wrote:

Well, the 1192 was my first setup, with the 1192 I ran the complete WW okrasa kit, including reworked, deburred, rejetted 'solex' carbs. I had it on the rolling dyno to get the proper jetting for the engine over the full RPM range. According to me there is only one way to properly jet an engine/carb, and that is on the rolling road. I was very happy with the results! But I am a human being and made the mistake to not properly tighten the flywheel, so it came loose. It damaged the original crank so I went for a 72mm DPR crank in combination with the 80mm P/C kit resulting in a 1448cc engine, and swapped to the Zenith 38NDIX carbs. Haven't adjusted it so far on the rolling road due remodeling our garden...

Anyhow the 1192 was also my first build, and started working on it like you did. Never ever had match ported the manifolds to a head but it is not very hard and it does make a big difference! So keep up the good work, don't hurry and enjoy the build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Why doesnt Wolfsburg West (Tony) price these like it is 60 years ago since he states that the (lack of quality) is the same as it was. What a poor excuse for BAD WORK. He charges a lot for this kit and the quality should reflect the price. It would be easy to clean this up before he ships them out. This is not the Wolfsburg West of old. Sorry to respond to an old thread, but I just saw it.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

If those were my manifolds I would cut them apart and clean them up and TIG them back together.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: WW Okrasa manifolds and carb issues Reply with quote

Yeah I hope the driving experience makes up for the many shortcomings of the kit itself. It is somewhat frustrating that WW charges so much for a sub-par workmanship on the manifolds.

Between having to clean up the nasty mess in the manifolds (done sometime ago) and the rocker shaft bosses cracking down the middle when I tried to shim them, I'm ready to move on to another project that is more rewarding, like my 2332 which I'm waiting for another engine stand for.

I've got to put in an order here shortly for the replacement heads and I'll use those with the 2 pc AA lifters, their chromo PRs and adjustable PR I bought to get the rocker geometry right, and then I hope I can finally get this thing running, tested and installed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: