Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BIGspill84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

My vehicle is a 1971 Bay window Bus Sportsmobile camper with pop, I bought the bus in Yuma, AZ early 2016 and ONLY MY THE GRACE OF GOD made the 3 day "adventure" all the way home to Lubbock, TX!

PO reported a "motor rebuild 1 year prior"... day after I got the bus home I drained oil and went to check/adjust valves and the damn adjuster screws/nuts were completely seized up and I noticed a burnt smell with a black and super sticky goop coating everthing. decided rocker assembly and valves needed a closer look but after removing rocker shaft nuts, shafts feel like they were welded to the damn heads. I already knew the motor had to be pulled soon to deal with rust in the gas tank(changed fuel filter 3 times driving it back from AZ, full of rust flakes every time) do decided to park it in the garage until i could find time to pull motor and planned a close inspection of heads, valves ect and a probable rebuild (top end no doubt).

Id been promising the Wife id get her 68 Beetle going before id start on the Bus so parked the bus in my garage where its been since . Recently FINISHED! (68 stock original 1500 numbers matching) rebuild, i also restored Z-bar, replaced ball joints and did complete brake overhaul. She has been daily driving the bug since i finished the break about 2 months ago, she is very happy with the performance and has nothing but good things to say thus far... I drive it a couple times a week and It feels like a strong 1500 with no problems so far! (such a relief because the 1500 was my first rebuild attempt), I relied heavily on youtube videos to help me better visualize and clarify my Bentley manual which often leaves me scratching my head. I also compile all the research that I can and then back the accuracy best that I can with further research before I start any job, triple checking everything I do including torque specs and sequence, which I get from Bentley. If I new of an aircooled vw/porsche program through UTI I'd jump in head first and attempt a new career path! I crave the tech knowledge and want to absorb all the good info and tips that I can.

The one and only ACVW specialized mechanic in Lubbock TX recently announced his retirement and put an ad out for an "everything must go sale" specifically listing he had a "brand new and complete 1776 performance motor"

I caught wind that several local club guys were also interested, I got off work at 6am the Saturday morning of the sale and showed up 2 hours early in hopes he'd let me make an early deal. He soon noticed me parked and said "come on in", I immediately got him to point me to 3 big containers containing loose parts that all appeared unused but dusty from storage. it appeared all there! including an Aluminum case which got me excited.

(ill call the shop owner A and the client B) A explained that about a year prior a guy brought him all the parts new in boxes requesting A to to do the build at the cost of his labor. A says he told B that he doesn't normally do this without knowing all the parts are compatible by purchasing the correct parts for the customer. A said that B insisted that he did the research and that all the parts were correct. A said he eventually took on the job only because B signed an agreement that failure of any kind would be B's loss and payment was required by B up front. A told me that he didn't think the oil pump provided by B with the Cam provided. B soon provided A with another new pump and cam combo. A said he finished to build and it started right up, ran for 1 minute and COMPLETE ENGINE FAILURE. NOT TO START AGAIN. A explains he later DISCOVERED THE FAILURE WAS DUE TO A SPUN MAIN BEARING AND SHEARED OFF THE BEARING PIN WHERE IT STILL REMAINS FUSED IN THE CASE. A THEN SAYS "WE WORKED OUT A DEAL THAT MADE BOTH A AND B HAPPY WHERE "A" KEPT THE MOTOR AS LABOR PAYMENT. A TRIES TO ASSURE ME THAT NO MACHINE WORK IS NEEDED AND THAT PROPER FITTED BEARINGS THAT CRUSH IN THE CASE WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM BUT I DIDN'T BUY THAT, I WAS ANTICIPATING A HEFTY MACHINE SHOP BILL PLUS COST OF SHIPPING THE CASE, CRANK "WHICH IS a SCAT "COUNTER WEIGHTED?' BUT ALSO VISIBLY DAMAGED WHEN BEARING SPUN, CAM.ASSEMBLY AND ALL OTHER INTERNAL PARTS TO MAKE SURE OTHER FITMENT ISSUES WERE NOT THE CAUSE OF THE FAILURE. I ALSO TOLD "A" I ANTICIPATE THAT MY SPECIFIC APPLICATION for MY 71 BUS MAY CALL FOR OTHER MODIFICATIONS AND UNEXPECTED PARTS THAT ARE MORE APPROPRIATE. I THEN PULLED OUT $700 CASH (FULLY EXPECTING WE'D DO THE DANCE AND WAS PRAYING WE'D END UP SOMEWHERE AROUND $1K, BECAUSE THAT'S ALL I HAD!!!!!! HE IMMEDIATELY GRABBED THE CASH AND SAID "ITS ALL YOURS LOAD IT UP"

BEFORE LEAVING HIS SHOP HE WAS FEELING GENEROUS AND STARTED THROWING PARTS IN, HEATER BOXES STINGER EXHAUST WHICH I NEW ID BE BE ABLE TO SELL OR TRADE, AND A 009 NEW IN BOX. I FELT GREAT DRIVING HOME KNOWING I MADE OUT LIKE A BANDIT EVEN AFTER EXPECTED REPAIR COSTS.

I LAID EVERYTHING OUT ON my GARAGE FLOOR WHEN I GOT HOME TO SORT AND ASSESS and this is where I started to lengthy process of inventory and close inspection for suspected evidence that might better explain the real reason for the spun bearing and HOPEFULLY better educate myself on performance parts. MY CONFIDENCE WITH ATTEMPTING REPAIRS IS OF STOCK APPLICATIONS BECAUSE I RELY ON MY BENTLEY TO AVOID MISTAKES.

HERE IS A PHOTO LOG OF ALL THE PARTS, AND HOPEFULLY ENOUGH DETAILS TO GET THE MUCH NEEDED GUIDANCE FROM SOME EXPERIENCED BACKED EXPERTS OUT THERE THAT WOULD BE WILLING... IM SO SORRY THIS IS WAY LONGER THAN I HOPED BUT I KNOW YOU EXPERTS NEED ALL THE DETAILS IN ORDER TO PROVIDE EXPERT ADVISE... I WILL ADD NOTES WHERE I CAN OF MY FINDINGS AS IM SURE SOME ARE DIFFICULT TO KNOW WHAT IM POINTING OUT...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m very sorry again that this is so long! If YOU WERE ME knowing what you know. How would you move foreword? Get case and crank machined? If you would what machine shop would be best? If not what would you do? I’m looking to get more low end torque and low temperature endurance and longevity than anything. What side cam oil pump ect? Thank you please ask any clarifying questions needed. Thanks again for the help and for your time!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

Mock the camshaft and oil pump up in the case and see that there is sufficiently penetration of the tang on the oil pump shaft into the slot on the cam. Also make sure that the oil pump shaft has a nice tight fit into the the driven gear. I can't help but feel that this engine didn't make oil pressure for some reason.
BIGspill84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

I for sure think that the issue was due to using the wrong oil pump and cam combo. He gave me 2 oil pumps, one with longer reach for dished cam but he didn’t include a dished cam in the deal? Both cams I got are similar and are the earlier style? If my memory serves. The 2 non dished cams he gave me don’t appear damaged and the Shadek HD oil pump he gave me(looks nearly brand new with no obvious damage)will only work with dished cam... I think he either left out the dished cam that I’m assuming was badly damaged or a mutilated oil pump?... I did what you said and mocked up the 2 pumps with the 2 cams he included. I’ll add the pics soon. Then I tried it with a dished cam i had in my garage.... so you can me the judge. Ok so say that was the issue and no oil pressure was achieved.... other than the spun bearing... what else should I be worried about and do you think my crank and case should be shipped out to RIMCO for drilling and machine work/new new fitted bearings ect? I mean, he said it spun about 1 minutes after the initial startup. What other areas should I look at and what parts can I measure to know if it can be fixed????
BIGspill84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

This pump works with either non dished cam as you can see

But doesn’t reach the dished cam...

Schadek pump fits great with dished cam...

But grinds up against the other 2 cams...

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

Welp, sounds like the dished cam fits and the other doesn't. So no need to discuss the options there. As for the machine work, make sure the measure everything twice before assembly. In multiple places as you go along. It's a pain, go slow be patient. Make sure you clean out the case of any potential debris. I don't know if you are capable of that where you are or need to send it out. Looks like a fun project. And for $700 you did make out!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

if you resuse a cam be sure each lifter goes back on the same lobe.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

I know it's been a long time since the OP has visited the forum but was wondering if this ever went any further.

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Need 1776 Motor build help! 1971 Bay Window Bus Sportsmobile Reply with quote

Went any further?

Considering OP laid out his engine parts on the FLOOR of the garage; I'd wager not

Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: