Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Bay heater cable connection
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

Snapped cable for the left red heat distribution lever. There appears to be a spring with a "U"-shape at the end of the cable. Is this integral to the cable, or a separate component?

View looking up from underneath the dash facing the rear of the vehicle.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Any help appreciated!
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

It is a separate spring clip. Take it off to see. Note* the cable broke for a reason so follow the cable ...could be rusted heater part

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

Apologies for the poor pic. Looked at the 4th heater cable (2nd red lever) and the "U"-bend appears to be part of the cable. Are they available for purchase like that?

Bigjacksauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

Steve did you ever find the cable with the spring built into it?
1975 Westfalia bus sold
1967 SO 42 Westfalia Bus

(o\_!_/o)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

I am also looking for a replacement cable with the spring end on it - does anyone know if they are available?

'78 westy, '64 sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevespeirs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

SLVRSRFR wrote:
I am also looking for a replacement cable with the spring end on it - does anyone know if they are available?

I sold my Bus earlier this year. Is this the cable?

https://www.serial-kombi.com/en-GB/recherche/q=211711647C

I know I ordered a lot of stuff from Serial Kombi, so might be worth browsing their site.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

Is the core broken or the sheath? VW cut the sheath by design. It s part of how it balances. Use a motorcycle cable lubricator system to lube the cables. Motorcycle store will have them or you can go online.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

its a broken cable - mine is broken in the exact same spot as the broken one in the first photo in this thread (cable on the far right hand side).
I can find replacement cables with the 90 deg. bend on the end, but not with the spring type connection...

'78 westy, '64 sedan
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

there is a right and a left cable on a 1973-79. You are looking for the RIGHT one based on the first photo. A quick Google search gave me 5 to 8 places selling them. The left one has a right angle, the right one is a wire loop. You want to measure the old one to make sure you order one the correct length.

https://airheadparts.com/vw-parts/vw-mechanical-pa...ls-cables/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

The defroster cable is badly overloaded. I looked at dozens of vans in wrecking yards years ago before I found one that wasn't broken. If you disconnect the cable to the center tube diverter valve and just wire the valve the way you want then the defroster cable will have very little load on it and last many decades. You can also use a separate cable for the diverter valve as per earlier vans.
Jerrys76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

stevespeirs wrote:
Snapped cable for the left red heat distribution lever. There appears to be a spring with a "U"-shape at the end of the cable. Is this integral to the cable, or a separate component?

View looking up from underneath the dash facing the rear of the vehicle.

Any help appreciated!

Just discovered that I've got the same snapped cable. Can it be soldered?
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

Not likely. The new cable from BusDepot works fine for the defrost tree. You’ll have to cut the slit yourself if you want that feature; it operates the defrost fine as is.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

motorcycle cable lube works wonders even on a new cable.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

Quote:
You’ll have to cut the slit yourself if you want that feature; it operates the defrost fine as is.

What is the purpose for cutting the slit in the cable sheathing? I've seen a few comments about this, but don't quite understand, 1) the proper location of the slit, 2) the functionality of this cut.

Thank You,

Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

the factory cut the sheath about 1" down from the top of the cable so the housing floats. It helps balance the defrost to walk thru. Colin did a write up on it if you can find it. I don't recall if it was here or his own site.
IAMGROOT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay heater cable connection Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
the factory cut the sheath about 1" down from the top of the cable so the housing floats. It helps balance the defrost to walk thru. Colin did a write up on it if you can find it. I don't recall if it was here or his own site.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=646866

The best write up I found regarding the Balance is this one. When the dash defrost lever is moved it is also affecting the diverter under the walkthrough (front of cab or passenger benches). The defroster is designed to operate ONLY after the under floor diverter is in the Front of Cab only position. The diverter cable is adjusted to reach its maximum flow position about halfway through the dash lever position. The remaining travel of the dash lever does not affect the diverter (as the internal cable then passes through its guide hole with no lever action under the bus if it is adjusted correctly). At halfway, the dash lever then engages the defroster flap to move sending max airflow from the heat exchangers all the way through to the windshield.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: