Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock Reply with quote

Picked up this Neiman 77 steering column ignition / lock in a box of spare parts a while ago. Its missing a few bits (mounting bolts, rubber bushings, etc) but I'd like to take a shot at installing it in my 66 Bug project. Can someone point me to some installation instructions for this model? Also, I don't have the key, so I'd like to get one made ...but there's no obvious way to get the lock cylinder out of the casing. Any hints??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock Reply with quote

my 66 has that factory. some one lost the key at some
point and put a regular switch. I found out a bus lock
cylinder worked. part # 113 905 583 68-70 bug-bus
I believe if you take the electrical part out it comes
out easy. I forget how exactly . it's been years.
wolfburg west shows the lock cylinder but out
of stock.
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock Reply with quote

Special breakoff bolts are available.. search this forum and you will find them.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock Reply with quote

Do not lose the electrical part. I think this is the smaller of the 2 versions and is no longer available as replacement. Worth returning if you have it.
Digger89L
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Do not lose the electrical part. I think this is the smaller of the 2 versions and is no longer available as replacement. Worth returning if you have it.

Yeah ...the electrical (switch) part is still there, but the connector 'blades' are missing (I wonder if they are still available?) My challenge right now is how to get the lock barrel out: after removing the switch, I tried (lightly) pounding on the back end of the lock barrel ...no movement at all. Its made of 'pot metal' so have to be careful not to damage it. Other questions: does it require a special steering shaft, with a notch in it, for the 'bolt' from the lock to grab onto the steering shaft? Is it worth trying to retro-fit this unit onto a car that didn't have one originally ...or should I just try to sell it? (they seem to command quite a decent price here in the classifieds). Answers / comments welcome!
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Details please about Neiman 77 steering wheel ignition / lock Reply with quote

Sell. To retro fit it functionally you will also need the corresponding steering column. Otherwise you would have to grind the locking sprawl which essentially just makes it a unique ignition switch.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: