Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vladiiiii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Wow, such a difference between what was advertised and what ended up in the garage Embarassed It's such a shame to have to completely restore it, especially considering the price d'oh!

Even with those surprises, I bet the metal underneath isn't as bad as mine, so there's hope after all! If no newspaper material or bonded-over riveted rusty panels are found underneath the paint layers, then it's half bad Pray

Maybe I missed this detail in all these pages, but will it keep the same color? And by the way, the dash is truly superb. I know it's all about taste, but this modification seems (to me) much nicer than what the normal VW originality police might accept Wink Gives the car a truly early 60's style.

Keep up the work!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9237746#9237746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Vladiiiii wrote:
Wow, such a difference between what was advertised and what ended up in the garage Embarassed It's such a shame to have to completely restore it, especially considering the price d'oh!

Even with those surprises, I bet the metal underneath isn't as bad as mine, so there's hope after all! If no newspaper material or bonded-over riveted rusty panels are found underneath the paint layers, then it's half bad Pray

Maybe I missed this detail in all these pages, but will it keep the same color? And by the way, the dash is truly superb. I know it's all about taste, but this modification seems (to me) much nicer than what the normal VW originality police might accept Wink Gives the car a truly early 60's style.

Keep up the work!

Thank you for your supportive words Vlad. Yes, I paid way, way too much. My poor judgement in trusting this supposed expert. Anyone thinking of doing business with this seller should think twice.

Luckily the car is not a total basket case. The paint has not yet been completely stripped, but so far we are not finding any more unexpected bad surprises. There is 5 coats of paint plus layers of primer so it will all go down to bare metal.

The dash is attractive for sure. Unique but I am told that a few very early Ghias actually came from the factory with this exact dash, but I don't know if that is true? I do know of one other exact same dash on a low light, but don't know the origins of that dash. I agree with you though, it gives the car a very early classic appearance.

The car originally was yellow which I like, but I'm keeping the Ivory color. Ivory with black interior and black canvas top add to that "Classic early appearance" - IMO anyway.

If any one has knowledge of this dash / gauge arrangement being used on early Ghias from the factory or dealer modified per VW specs, please post it. It would nice to have added information.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

If any one has knowledge of this dash / gauge arrangement being used on early Ghias from the factory or dealer modified per VW specs, please post it. It would nice to have added information.

Nope not factory on early Ghias and TBH any other era. The two outer 52mm dials are custom but as you say, they look fine.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Nope not factory on early Ghias and TBH any other era. The two outer 52mm dials are custom but as you say, they look fine.

Might VW have offered or include a Tachometer on Karman Ghias? If so, where did they install them?

The other car I've seen with this dash arrangement just happens to be a Low Light car on the seller's website, (Richard Troy): Embarassed That is probably very revealing!!
http://ghiacoachworks.com/ . Please do not mistake this as an endorsement.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Richard appears to be very knowledgeable when it comes to Karmann Ghia history. I know: He is not always correct.

This is a quote by Richard Troy taken from the website advertising my car:
http://ghiacoachworks.com/share/cars/71_KG_cabriolet.html

Importantly, modification of the body in any way that would prevent it from "being returned to stock" fairly easily was refused. However, the buyer asked that the original stock dash - that was in pretty darned good condition, we think - be replaced with an early '60s dash. There was an engineering reason behind this; the guy doing the EV design wanted to put holes in the dash for more gauges and that wasn't going to work well with the original dash design. However, one of us owns an earlier Ghia that came from Karmann with two extra gauge holes in the dash, and so we could copy that using an earlier dash ... That was agreed to. And, so the dash was switched to one from 1962 and two additional holes were added in the stock locations Karmann had added additional gauges in, thus satisfying the EV system's requirements.

Just to be clear John, I'm not arguing. I think you're right. This dash arrangement is not likely to have come from VW or Karmann. But it does make for interesting conversation. Smile

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Well sad to say Richard has been seen to be very economical with the truth with this Ghia. To say Karmann would find time on an assembly line to accommodate the wishes of a customer to add a couple of extra gauges including the senders from the engine compartment and the modification to the stock wiring loom would seem pure fantasy. It would probably have been more believable if he had said the modifications were made by the supplying dealership before delivery. Whatever the truth it's a moot point as you're happy with the looks and not interested in changing it back to stock. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Finally some updates. Bill has had a rough winter health wise. Nothing life threatening, but between not feeling his best and the cold and snow in Vermont, the car is not as far along as we thought it might be by now. The warmer weather and longer days is encouraging and progress is happening again. With the Covid-19 Corona Virus, many of us are stuck at home with more time on our hands so I'm glad I have this project to keep me busy. In the mean time, I've spent many hours researching the convertible top installation and I am ready to start on that as soon as the car is back in my garage. It will be my first convertible top installation ever but after all the research I've done, and all the great documentation from other members here, I'm confident that I will be able to pull off a decent job.

The pair of 1970 doors I picked up in Massachusetts are in very nice condition. Bill has the Drivers side door all prepped. The strip of metal that holds the window scraper seal had 3 inches of rust damage at the forward end. A new piece of metal has been welded in place. The door has been test fitted on the car and the fit is good. There was a few very small low spots in the door skin which were leveled and the door now has been sprayed with etching primer.

I actually like that these doors have the lock button at the rear top of the doors. It will go better with the earlier look of the dash. The other door will get prepped once the car has been turned around but from what we can see, it is in even better condition than the first door.

Bill called this week with a new surprise he uncovered while stripping the paint from the Drivers side front fender. The area above the head light has several small rust through areas. Fortunately, it is not too serious. I've seen much much worse in other builds. He will be cutting out the damaged area and welding in some metal.

I've been searching for some new kick panels for the rear seat which were removed by the PO. I think I finally have located a pair in decent shape. hopefully they will ship this week.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Nice to see progress on your dream, Marc!
Sorry that the Ghost of Previous Owners is still haunting you though.
Can’t imagine what would be found if his other masterpiece was stripped down to the metal. Shudder to think.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
The Karmann Ghia Fever YouTube Channel!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Nice to see progress on your dream, Marc!
Sorry that the Ghost of Previous Owners is still haunting you though.
Can’t imagine what would be found if his other masterpiece was stripped down to the metal. Shudder to think.

Thank you,

The body on your car has held up for quite a few yrs. What ever was done apparently was done well. The work you've done on your car is paying off. You really brought the paint back to life and now with the wheels, wow!! It really is sharp.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

I could use some advice please.

I have a headlight bucket with some rust damage at the top. I realize I could get a new repro but it's not bad enough for that. We are considering a few options.

1. the top of the fender has some rust that will be cut out and new metal welded in. If the hole is made a large enough, the top of the headlight bucket could be repaired without removing it from the fender. Not my first choice.

2. Remove the headlight bucket. Repair the top of the bucket with new metal and reinstall.

3. Leave the bucket in place. Grind away the rusted area of the bucket and weld a patch over it.

First photo is looking up at the inside top of the headlight bucket There was a piece of "Duct Tape" on the inside of the bucket to cover the damage. The rust was treated with rust converter. Then painted and the "Duct Tape" placed over the hole, which I peeled off today. There doesn't seem to be any new rust going on.

Second photo is the rusted area on the top of the fender.

Any suggestions on to best deal with this?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Warmer weather and an end to mud season has finally arrived and I can get up to the body shop without getting stuck in the mud. Bill is working his way around the car stripping the 5 layers of paint and and repairing any rust or body damage he finds. So far it's been only minor issues. The rust over the LS Headlight and on the top side of the head light bucket has been replaced with new metal.

We were curious if there would be similar rust damage over the RS head light so Bill stripped that area and found no rust. However at some point in the past, under several coats of yellow paint, 3 small holes were drilled to pull a dent. Other than not welding the holes, the work was very well done with only minimal filler. Bill welded the holes.

The rear seat kick panels were missing on this car. Removed by the PO. After months of searching, I finally located a very clean set from NWGhiaGuy in Washington state. For being 50 years old, these are in great condition. Being "Cut" out of a parts car, there was excess metal attached along the top and sides which were easily removed. Perfect fit in the car.

I was able to remove the trunk seal but the left over gobs of adhesive had proven to be quite difficult to remove. When I called 3M to ask if they could recommend a product that would soften the adhesive, I was told it's permanent! No advice offered. After many searches, I generated a list of possibilities. Carb and choke Cleaner gave the best results. It dissolved the adhesive rather quickly but it also softened the paint so not a good option if you need to save the paint under the adhesive. Not a concern here though. I was using a wooden scraper to remove the softened adhesive, but then went to just wiping it off with paper towels, which did not damage the paint.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Wow! You can find paper towels?

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Wow! You can find paper towels?

Funny story. Had to move my Mother into assisted living 5 yrs ago. In her golden yrs, she became a hoarder of paper products. We still have a few yrs worth left. Laughing Laughing hopefully stores will restock by then Pray

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Good to see your car making its way slowly to the road!
Hope we do meet up as we planned some shining morning!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Looks like mud season is about to begin for Bill
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:

That's still my plan, it just lacks a date??? Obviously you will get there before me. Laughing Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:

Assuming you are referring to Bondo??

Bill painted a car for me in the early 80's. At that time he still did lead / pewter
work and was known in this area for some of the best quality work around.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:

That's still my plan, it just lacks a date??? Obviously you will get there before me. Laughing Laughing

I dunno, you’ve driven yours more than I have driven mine. And I seem to be in a holding pattern at the moment.
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Trylon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Bill painted a car for me in the early 80's. At that time he still did lead / pewter

Wow, I thought for sure that was a lost art!
1973 Volkswagen Bus
1970 MGB-GT
1962 Oldsmobile Jetfire

More tomfoolery on
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Trylon wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
Trylon wrote:

I dunno, you’ve driven yours more than I have driven mine. And I seem to be in a holding pattern at the moment.

So far, I 've put 4 miles on my "Ready to Drive" Ghia. Think Think
You've done some really good work so far. Keep at it. Your car is much closer to being on the road than mine.
I know we'll get there. I'm having a great time working on the car, so driving it will be a great reward !! Smile
Installing the top myself will be time consuming, but I plan to take it slow and do it right. It will slow things up, but I'm ok with that. I know I will enjoy it - well hopefully enjoy most of it!! Laughing

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Assuming you are referring to Bondo??

I should have added a smiley face. Not knocking on any of the work
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 47

Jump to: