Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

O Ghia's Restoration Journey
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
I have not checked tire pressure. I will check tire pressure in the morning, but can you explain how tire pressure would cause the steering wheel to suddenly have shifted so far off when going straight?

It can happen if the pressures in the front tires are significantly different.

The tire pressures are 19 front / 25 back.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

The Hirschman style ones have a ball like contraption that allows you to straighten it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
carlk3 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
I have not checked tire pressure. I will check tire pressure in the morning, but can you explain how tire pressure would cause the steering wheel to suddenly have shifted so far off when going straight?

It can happen if the pressures in the front tires are significantly different.

Is that tire pressure information for bias tires or radial tires ? I would think that it would be different.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

That's pretty much right where you want them whether they are bias ply or radial.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Here you go Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

From a Ghia but I do not know the exact year:

I have also seen a VW listing where it said add 2-3lbs for radial tires.
This appears to fit with the 2nd sticker above
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
Where ever possible, I prefer to have the car appear as original as possible. In this case, I guess I can choose either way. I've read that some repro antennas end up tilted instead of vertical. I want to avoid this.

That's what happened to me. I ended up with a universal antenna from my FLAPS and it works much better. I can push it all the way into the fender if I want to, so it's not very noticeable. However, the old Sapphire III seems to like it as long as possible.

It's not perfect, but nothing on my Ghia is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

That's pretty much right where you want them whether they are bias ply or radial.

Tires happen to be OHTSU 165SR15 Steel Belted Radials mounted on supposedly Original Chrome Wheels. The date code on the tires is the older style prior to 2000. These are at least 25 years old. Once I have the car running, it will get new tires right away.

I pulled the front left tire off this morning and did some more checking. I tightened the Tie Rod End Bolt that was loose. Then I noticed that the collar on the tie rod itself was also loose. I tightened that as well. I'm thinking this might be the reason the steering wheel shifted?? With that nut loose, if I turned the wheel to it's limit, could that tie rod have turned enough to change the centering of the steering wheel?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

You'll find that even new NOS fuel pumps have the ears bent down like this photo. I never try and bend them back up. Those ears shouldn't cause a leak because the cover should seat before the ears would interfere.

Usually that's not the cause of the leak there. What you need to look for first is that the 4 top cover screws are snug. If they are, pop the cap back off. Make sure the small diaphragm spring is in place. Then, make sure the paper gasket is on top of the upper diaphragm and looks in good shape. If it is, flip the top cover upside down. See the circle the sticks down? That seats and seals it on the gasket, upper diaphragm. Level the circle on 220 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Often times they are not flat and that's what causes leaks. When I restore those pumps, I always level those top covers sealing face. They are always a bit warped.

Now, if by chance someone REALLY bent the ears down, I'd file some material off vs. trying to bend the ear up. Some may get lucky and bend them w/out snapping the aluminum, other break the corners off.

This is what I ended up with:

I'm not saying it's right, or correct, but it does work. Looking back at it, I did also use your method to level the sealing surfaces.

And, looking at it again, this is a BROSOL, not even a real Pierburg. It is actually running with a Mexican or Brazilian rebuild kit at the moment. I thought, well, maybe the Brazilian diaphragm will work in a Brazilian pump. It does, with a big stack of gaskets. (You could easily see the difference in the length of the plunger versus the original.) I plan to pull it soon and put in the WW diaphragm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Tires happen to be OHTSU 165SR15 Steel Belted Radials mounted on supposedly Original Chrome Wheels.

No such thing as original chrome wheels, all VW wheels were painted from the factory.

Quote:

I pulled the front left tire off this morning and did some more checking. I tightened the Tie Rod End Bolt that was loose. Then I noticed that the collar on the tie rod itself was also loose. I tightened that as well. I'm thinking this might be the reason the steering wheel shifted?? With that nut loose, if I turned the wheel to it's limit, could that tie rod have turned enough to change the centering of the steering wheel?

Probably not, I think it would be unlikely for the tie rod to twist on its own. Twisting the tie rod is how toe angle is adjusted. It is also how the steering wheel is centered if the steering wheel is not centered when the steering gearbox is in the center position.

so while in theory that would do it, usually the tie rods are pretty stiff to twist so unless that one is just loosey goosey on the ends I don't see it doing it on its own during a short drive.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:

I ended up with a universal antenna from my FLAPS and it works much better. I can push it all the way into the fender if I want to, so it's not very noticeable. However, the old Sapphire III seems to like it as long as possible.

It's not perfect, but nothing on my Ghia is.

She looks awesome to me. Beautiful car!!

That antenna looks great. If I can find an antenna like yours, It would be an easy decision. What is "FLAPS" ??

Thanks for the help. Love seeing another Cabrio.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:

Tires happen to be OHTSU 165SR15 Steel Belted Radials mounted on supposedly Original Chrome Wheels.

No such thing as original chrome wheels, all VW wheels were painted from the factory. .

Well, I'm not surprised that I was given wrong information again. that seems to be the norm. Here's what the Seller says about the chrome wheels:
"The car came to us with typical satin-silver painted wheels. Since we had these original optional chrome wheels on hand, we fitted these with some good rubber. They're not perfect, but they're very nice original survivors the car could have been ordered with from new."

25 year old tires hardly qualifies as "Good Rubber" to me.

Quote:
Probably not, I think it would be unlikely for the tie rod to twist on its own. Twisting the tie rod is how toe angle is adjusted. It is also how the steering wheel is centered if the steering wheel is not centered when the steering gearbox is in the center position.

so while in theory that would do it, usually the tie rods are pretty stiff to twist so unless that one is just loosey goosey on the ends I don't see it doing it on its own during a short drive.

One of the tires rubs when I turn hard right. I noticed it both times I've backed onto the street. Might cranking the wheel to it's limit be enough to cause the tie rod to turn with these 2 nuts having been loose?

The other thing I noticed is that there is something missing near the steering box. In the bottom left of this photo, you can see a threaded hole with nothing in it?? Bentley does not seem to show a picture of this area? Any idea what up with that?

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Here you go Smile

From a Ghia but I do not know the exact year:

I have also seen a VW listing where it said add 2-3lbs for radial tires.
This appears to fit with the 2nd sticker above

My car has no data stickers. I'll check and if they make reproductions, I'll put them back in.

Thanks Everett.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

The other thing I noticed is that there is something missing near the steering box. In the bottom left of this photo, you can see a threaded hole with nothing in it?? Bentley does not seem to show a picture of this area? Any idea what up with that?

Dang, now I have to look at mine.
My first thought was dampener but I don’t think so.
The angle of the photo is throwing me off.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

One of the tires rubs when I turn hard right. I noticed it both times I've backed onto the street. Might cranking the wheel to it's limit be enough to cause the tie rod to turn with these 2 nuts having been loose?

I don't think so. As for the tire rub, there should be steering stop screws on the front end that you can adjust to keep that from happening.
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:
That antenna looks great. If I can find an antenna like yours, It would be an easy decision. What is "FLAPS" ??

Thanks for the help. Love seeing another Cabrio.

Fine Local Auto Parts Store.

I can't remember if it was O'Reilly, or AutoZone, or Advance... I put it on there years ago.

The thing I like about this one is that it has a bottom mount in addition to the fitting that goes in the hole in the fender. Much more secure and easier to align than one that just mounts to the hole. I didn't have any trouble finding a good place for the bottom mount. There is a lot of room in there.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

I though it was “Friendly”? (Depending on the day they’re having)

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
carlk3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:

Actually, I thought it was really something else that starts with F! Maybe I was thinking of RTFM from my days in the tech world.

As an aside, it looks like my antenna is still a little bent from an incident I had getting my kayak out of the garage one day. After I bent it, I tried to straighten it, then pushed it down to get it out of the way. A few days later, my windshield washer hose blew off and I had a little waterfall behind the dash. After fixing that, I went to put the radio on one day, and dang! it looks like the flood ruined the radio that had lasted all these years. It took me a while to realize that the radio don't work when the antenna is down!
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
Marcdeb wrote:
What is "FLAPS" ??

Fine Local Auto Parts Store.

Laughing Laughing I haven't learned the language yet!! Laughing Laughing

carlk3 wrote:

I can't remember if it was O'Reilly, or AutoZone, or Advance... I put it on there years ago.

The thing I like about this one is that it has a bottom mount in addition to the fitting that goes in the hole in the fender. Much more secure and easier to align than one that just mounts to the hole. I didn't have any trouble finding a good place for the bottom mount. There is a lot of room in there.

I'm going shopping for one this weekend. Hope they still sell the same one.

Thanks

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: O Ghia's Restoration Journey Reply with quote

carlk3 wrote:
jeffrey8164 wrote:

Actually, I thought it was really something else that starts with F! Maybe I was thinking of RTFM from my days in the tech world.

As an aside, it looks like my antenna is still a little bent from an incident I had getting my kayak out of the garage one day. After I bent it, I tried to straighten it, then pushed it down to get it out of the way. A few days later, my windshield washer hose blew off and I had a little waterfall behind the dash. After fixing that, I went to put the radio on one day, and dang! it looks like the flood ruined the radio that had lasted all these years. It took me a while to realize that the radio don't work when the antenna is down!

I've had many days like that!!! Expecially lately. Sometimes it helps to just laugh!

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing question Reply with quote

Marcdeb wrote:

Those are where the steering stops are located, the bolt that is supposed to be in there is supposed to be a hard stop for the steering arm. The "finger" that is part of the steering arm (The one pointing down in the image) is supposed to make contact with the missing bolt. It's not critical, but without it, your tire might rub the inner fender when you turn the wheel all the way to that side.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.

Last edited by TDCTDI on Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 47

Jump to: