Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

Did anyone else watch the episode that aired last night? It was a full 1 hour TV show build of a custom Ghia. If you have access to the Velocity channel try to check it out. They brought in a local TX VW club to help them with the build. They also attended the TX Classic show to buy parts. It was a fun episode to watch if you like customs. I tried to find the episode online, but it looks like you have to be a Velocity subscriber in order to view it. For those of you who get the Veolcity channel it is iron resurrection season 2 episode 7.
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I watched it. I usually don't watch car shows on TV because of the drama. To bad they don't disclose how much time and money they had into it Shocked
I would like to see more pics of that 64 bug at the show with 19k on the clock.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I taped it and watched it this morning. They did do some fantastic metal work, and did a fair amount of explaining what they were doing. They seemed to spare no expense in everything they did to the 1971 Ghia. However I did think they took the cheap way out with the bumpers.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I watched it this morning when the Velocity Channel re-ran it. This is one of the few car-oriented shows that I'll watch. No yelling or throwing stuff around and, although the guys tease each other a bit, no unnecessary drama out in the shop and no phony deadlines to meet.

I like that they showed quite a bit of detail in the metalworking tasks. That package shelf/window frame replacement must've been a bitch to get right, but it turned out pretty good. I'm always impressed by the skills of those who can hand-form complex parts out of a flat piece of sheet steel. Interesting how the guy used tape to create a pattern for the front turn signal fill piece instead of a making a cardboard template. Quite easy to then just cut out the section over the opening and stick it onto the replacement metal to get the exact shape needed.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

If you've seen some of the older episodes, you'll notice that Shorty, his painter will often wear a Ghia T shirt that says Shorty's on it... I'm p sure he's a Ghia guy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

anthracitedub wrote:
I'm p sure he's a Ghia guy.

Yeah, he mentioned it in this episode. He was saying how he'll be learning some stuff on this build that he could use on his own Ghia.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

concur, I saw the Ghia T-shirt on an unrelated non VW build. It was a slow recognition....I was watching as I started to recognize the familiar shape on Short-dogs t-shirt the scene changed. After rewinding and getting a good look....it was a Ghia. Smile
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

Just watched it... Man what a beautiful color they chose. I didn't like the way they cutout the rear apron for the exhaust to clear, seemed like a quick fix that they didn't think through. They were all standing there just wanting to finish mounting the engine and just wanted it to go in as quick as possible. The bumpers would have been better chromed. The body work detail was great... Had the same experience with the headlight section, though mine was on the passenger side. Overall, great looking KG... But have to agree with the radar rim stagger... Not a fan. Should have done 17s all around.

Thanks for the show find RonJon!
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

Just watched it!!! Cool build, wish a truck would back into my garage with all those goodies in tow.
I had to replace my rear parcel on my 57 due to rust... luckily I had a donor section.
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I am a big fan of this show. I think the first episode I watched I noticed the Ghia on Shorty's T Shirt. They do sell the shirts online. Here is a link.

https://shortyscustompaint.com/products/shortys-custom-paint-mens-t-shirt
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I enjoyed the show but, would like to know how to get 150 hp from a "stroked" 1915 cc.
HouseofGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

they should have called me...I have parcel trays...lol.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:
Did anyone else watch the episode that aired last night? It was a full 1 hour TV show build of a custom Ghia. If you have access to the Velocity channel try to check it out. They brought in a local TX VW club to help them with the build. They also attended the TX Classic show to buy parts. It was a fun episode to watch if you like customs. I tried to find the episode online, but it looks like you have to be a Velocity subscriber in order to view it. For those of you who get the Veolcity channel it is iron resurrection season 2 episode 7.

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way on the page for further details on the show.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89103&start=340
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

HouseofGhia wrote:
they should have called me...I have parcel trays...lol.

No doubt. I was thinking the same thing!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

satterley_sr wrote:
I enjoyed the show but, would like to know how to get 150 hp from a "stroked" 1915 cc.

I thought they said it was a 2 liter. I'm making around 150 with my 2074. Thats hella fun in a ghia.
stanthedog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I watched it. I usually don't watch car shows on TV because of the drama. To bad they don't disclose how much time and money they had into it Shocked
I would like to see more pics of that 64 bug at the show with 19k on the clock.

My wife also noticed they didn't say how much it cost. Maybe that's why he decided to keep it.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I thought the bodywork they did was amazing. I wonder what the cost on that alone would go for?
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I think Joe and the rest of the guys on that show are pretty down to earth......very little drama. I like how he deferred to the VW professionals instead of trying to act like he knew what was going on.

Too many of the other builders try and do VW's and just mess them up. RMD just did one recently. Not that great of a build. Don't get me started on the Foose bus.
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
I think Joe and the rest of the guys on that show are pretty down to earth......very little drama. I like how he deferred to the VW professionals instead of trying to act like he knew what was going on.

Too many of the other builders try and do VW's and just mess them up. RMD just did one recently. Not that great of a build. Don't get me started on the Foose bus.

I agree. One of the better cars shows. Very little drama and nonsense...and they do great work.

I saw the RMD show on the Beetle build. I don't like that show and only watched it because they were doing a 67 Beetle. How many times could he have said "dude" and "bro"?

All the work they put into that car and they left that crappy looking exhaust on it.
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Iron Resurrection TV show Ghia build Reply with quote

I hate on RMD when he walks around with his phone making a video... I bet his workers do too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: