Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Reserve valve pickup tube replacement?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

I snagged a used valve in what at first appeared to be in good shape but when I was cleaning it, I realized the longer tube was cracked (why does that even happen?) about an inch above the nut.

I’m thinking grab some 4mm brass/copper tubing, yank out the bad, press in the new, maybe solder or JB weld it in place and carry on.

Any obvious pitfalls in that plan? Any preferred sources for short sections of tubing? All I’ve found so far is 12” pieces, typically in packs of 3 or more. Not horribly expensive, but just extra crap I’ll have to find a home for when I’m done.

Oh - and a dumb related question - is the nut on this removable or is it part of the main casting? If it comes off, it looks like it’ll make the repair easier.

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

Check out this thread, there is at least one repair of the tubes in there
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=383448

Yes, the nut completely unscrews.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

Beetle forum.. that’s why I didn’t find it. I had seen it before but couldn’t put my finger on it again.

And I got the nut off... after discovering it was left handed threads... not sure I can fix the threads... but at least I’ll have a “spare” body to practice on.. 🤣
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

Beetle forum.. that’s why I didn’t find it. I had seen it before but couldn’t put my finger on it again.

And I got the nut off... after discovering it was left handed threads... not sure I can fix the threads... but at least I’ll have a “spare” body to practice on.. 🤣

True but it's linked from the Bus FAQ and I know everyone checks there first for any applicable threads. Smile

Crap, I should have said that on the threads.
I've never had one that was frozen so that would be confusing if it was bottomed out and you couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning.

You have to get the nut threaded in the right spot when you install it too so that when you tighten it onto the tank, the cable connection is in the correct position.
It's a bit of trial and error.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Thompson2 wrote:
EverettB wrote:

True but it's linked from the Bus FAQ and I know everyone checks there first for any applicable threads. Smile

Crap, I should have said that on the threads.
I've never had one that was frozen so that would be confusing if it was bottomed out and you couldn't figure out why it wasn't turning.

You have to get the nut threaded in the right spot when you install it too so that when you tighten it onto the tank, the cable connection is in the correct position.
It's a bit of trial and error.

FAQs are probably how I found it the first time. Not sure why I didn't see the other thread that's firmly planted in this forum though...

The nut must have been pretty close to bottomed out because I got it to move just a little with a long wrench before it stopped... and then started going again... What's that saying? "Tighten it until it snaps, then back it off an 1/8 turn"? Laughing

I don't think it's critical to get the nut in exactly the right position, unless I'm under thinking this. With opposite threads, it should act just a turn buckle. You should be able to *just* start the nut on the valve, then *just* start the whole thing on the tank. Hold the valve as you tighten the nut and it should just suck it up into the gasket on the screen without turning... theoretically anyway...
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

Another dumb question - one fiber gasket or two when installing the valve?

WW shows just one on top of the screen flange, but CIP1 says you need 2 (assuming one on top and one under). And I think (it went AWOL during cleaning / disassembly) that the valve I've got had one under the screen flange. No idea on whether there was one on top since the screen didn't come with it.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

In the VW parts manuals that you can find here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

You will find that both ways were used over the years. The later beetle parts manual (thru the "Upcoming" button at the top of that webpage) shows one gasket used. The bus parts manual shows both ways used over the years.

Also shows the placement of the single gasket.

Simply amazing what one can find in those manuals.....

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:
I don't think it's critical to get the nut in exactly the right position, unless I'm under thinking this. With opposite threads, it should act just a turn buckle. You should be able to *just* start the nut on the valve, then *just* start the whole thing on the tank. Hold the valve as you tighten the nut and it should just suck it up into the gasket on the screen without turning... theoretically anyway...

This totally makes sense to me and sounds correct but for some reason I remember it not working.
Maybe my threads were dirty or messed up or something.

I think that did work on my Barndoor though, the access is a lot easier since it's in the engine compartment
Thompson2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

You will find that both ways were used over the years. The later beetle parts manual (thru the "Upcoming" button at the top of that webpage) shows one gasket used. The bus parts manual shows both ways used over the years.

Also shows the placement of the single gasket.

Is there any "conventional wisdom" based on 60 years of experience as to what is preferred?

Two makes more sense because then you don't crush the crush wafer portion of the screen which would make it potentially reusable in a pinch.

Eric&Barb wrote:
Simply amazing what one can find in those manuals.....

For sure... just not always a definitive answer...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

Thompson2 wrote:

For sure... just not always a definitive answer...

But in most cases, it is.
Stocknazi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Reserve valve pickup tube replacement? Reply with quote

I've used a tube from a bug tap; used red Loctite instead of JB.

If you drill the broken tap tube stub slightly undersized you can twist out what's left with some micro-needle nose pliers; allowing you to use an original salvaged/sized tube.

No need to replace the short tube; it just allows water to pool/sit in the bottom of your tank.

"When the people are afraid of the government, that's tyranny. But when the government is afraid of the people, that's liberty."
"Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God."

Thomas Jefferson
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: