Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:58 am    Post subject: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

I am currently building a 1957 with a tranny from a 1970 1500 beetle.
I thought the hand brake cables from a 68-72 swing axle beetle would fit but they do not. The conduit is too short and the cable also seems a bit short.
Does anyone of you here know which cables might fit?
--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

Do they sell them buy year? Just look for year 1968. I had a long axle tranny, but converted to short. Read the details in this link...
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D113%2D609%2D721%2DM
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

The ones I have now should be 1780mm in total with 500mm conduit. The total length might just work but the conduit is just some 50mm too short.
I will check the link you provided...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xzener
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes, it may help someone in the future.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

A friends friend with a VW part shop suggest beetle IRS hand brake cables.
They have a longer conduit part and are slightly longer. I will report when I have tried them.
VeloMikey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

nize wrote:
I thought the hand brake cables from a 68-72 swing axle beetle would fit but they do not. The conduit is too short and the cable also seems a bit short.

70 Beetles are IRS (In America). Are you converting an IRS trans to swing axle and using long axles? 67-68s are wide axle swing axles and 69 is IRS. 67 is 5 lug and 68 is 4 lug. It is going to be tough to fit decent wheels with wide axles in a lowlight era Ghia.

Ghia Build Thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768748
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

CerveloMikey wrote:
nize wrote:

70 Beetles are IRS (In America). Are you converting an IRS trans to swing axle and using long axles? 67-68s are wide axle swing axles and 69 is IRS. 67 is 5 lug and 68 is 4 lug. It is going to be tough to fit decent wheels with wide axles in a lowlight era Ghia.

No I took this tranny from a Swedish 1500 1970 beetle. That is a swing axle setup beetle. I think it was 1973 that all Swedish beetles got IRS rear axles.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Long axle tranny in lowlight ghia - what E-brake cables? Reply with quote

Ok, got the 68-72 IRS hand brake cables now and they seem to do the job!
Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: