Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystery holes
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Ive noticed 4 holes, 2 on each side behind my visors on my 66. Any clue as to what these were for?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

I`m guessing a wink mirror.
burner208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Doubt it. Im the 3rd owner and it was owned by a old man. It had bee setting for 10 years before i got it. Were those even around back then?
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Since the early 80’s for sure. I had one in my 64 Deluxe Bus. In 1983.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

ya I second wink mirror. 80's .I think they outlawed them after 1990. Laughing Laughing
not factory holes anyway.
Steve
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

ya I second wink mirror. 80's .I think they outlawed them after 1990. Laughing Laughing
do they still make them? hope not. not factory holes anyway.
Steve
66 beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Quick check reveals walmart sells them less than 20 bucks, maybe illegal in California but then again so is most everything. Very Happy
Miklo
ˇChale!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
maybe illegal in California but then again so is most everything. Very Happy

I don't think they were ever illegal... I think he meant by taste.

I only see them being used on kids ugly Japanese tuners cars anymore...

Ironic kinda, cause that was a lot of us 70-80s kids with those annoying German imports back in the day. Wink

Antelope Valley's Mobile Air-Cooled Guru

Dr OnHolliday wrote:
As I remember it, lowriding was not one of the criteria that Adolf gave to Dr. Porsche...
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

I loved my wink mirror. If it wasn’t so tacky I’d put one on in a heartbeat. Along with some baby turbos.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Quick check reveals walmart sells them less than 20 bucks, maybe illegal in California but then again so is most everything. Very Happy

yes they did outlaw them here in California. if I recall. one of the
only things I remember I agreed with. Rolling Eyes
66 beetle
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

EMPI sells them under the Racetrim name. So I don`t think they are illegal. Why would they be anyway?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

Drove for many years with a wink mirror in california. Great device, improves rear and aide visibility greatly. Ought to be offered as an option on all cars. Sure beats them backup cameras.

When I sold that car, a 914, I regret not keeping that wink mirror.

I did a brief on line interweb search, and dont find any California law prohibiting the wink mirror

California requires two mirrors, one to the drivers left, and either a center mirror, or right side mirror. The right side mirror is mandatory when rear view is blocked from the center mirror such as when towing, no rear window, cargo blocking rear window and such.
Passangers blocking rear window is allowed however.

Maybe my wink mirror was legal as I did have both side mirrors, and thus did not need to have a center mirror, yet I find no reference to any illegality of a wink mirror as use as the center mirror.

I may buy a wink mirror again for my truck. The Bug has such good rear visibility specially with low back seats, that it is not a problem there. But then again the wink mirror is so good anyway.

The one issue I had with my wink mirror in my 914 is it precluded the use of the sunvisors. but a clever person could rig sunvisors to mount on the wink mirror. The wink mirror itself was like a half deployed sunvisor anyway however, so it kept the sun out of my eyes well enough.

Oh how I miss that wink mirror. A simple effective solution to the problem of rear visibility without the complications and cost of a camera system.

Bug On, Wink! Wink

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

the wink may be illegal based on laws of obstructing your vision. depends on the cop...

I liked them, but they rattle badly. Visors would have to be sorted. And when someone with illegal headlights is behind you, you will hate them...
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystery holes Reply with quote

My NOS wink mirror is one of the prizes in my VW gravy display in the garage. A piece of trend history. The OG models had curved upper corners (curved mirror panes too)- and they fit bay windows better than any aftermarket part.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: