Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Axle Differential Flex Question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Swing Axle Differential Flex Question Reply with quote

Just a quick question related to the strength, or lack thereof of the stock diff vs superdiff. I'm aware that having the extra spider gears in the superdiff is sort of the advantage one gets from that product, but I often read in vendor/manf. descriptions about them being made from better metal castings and help eliminate the "flex" of the stock differential.

Could someone help explain where this "flexing" is taking place? Is it flex in the diff housing or flex in the ring gear flange? Thanks.
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Differential Flex Question Reply with quote

The diff carrier flexes at the ring gear flange. There is flex when there is a large load from the pinion. Mendeolas have a brass plug on the backside just for this reason. All of the swing super diffs that I have seen are not very good, except for the old Crown diffs. German metallurgy was really good. If you install a swing super diff be sure to use the 10 tooth spiders and side gears.

I used a swing super diff for years in my ‘67. It ran 11.70s at 122 mph and had 100s of passes on slicks.
Kizbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Axle Differential Flex Question Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
The diff carrier flexes at the ring gear flange. There is flex when there is a large load from the pinion. Mendeolas have a brass plug on the backside just for this reason. All of the swing super diffs that I have seen are not very good, except for the old Crown diffs. German metallurgy was really good. If you install a swing super diff be sure to use the 10 tooth spiders and side gears.

I used a swing super diff for years in my ‘67. It ran 11.70s at 122 mph and had 100s of passes on slicks.

Thanks for clarifying that! I would've thought the housing was more prone to give than the flange & ring gear combo. That's good to know. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: