Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Single Cab Project
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:54 am    Post subject: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

I recently picked up a single cab and I'm absolutely loving it. I was told it spent most of its life on a farm in Oklahoma. I started ordering quite of bit of replacement parts from Wolfburg West. I plan to replace the bed, drop gates and rocker panels to eliminate any rusted areas. I will post updates as the build progresses.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

Looks like a great starting point, congratulations! What's the story with the... graphics?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
mtnbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

nice SC !
where did you find it ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

Im not sure on the graphics, Im not a fan. I will probably go with a two tone, L380 (Turquoise) and off white, with a deluxe package on it.

I picked up from a guy in Kansas.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

nice looking truck, is that green the original paint? it looks about right for velvet albeit a little oxidized
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

Yes its the original paint.
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

Very cool, aren't too many original paint survivors like that any more. Love velvet but I'm biased Cool
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

Kingwood is just down the road from me. I hope to see you around town.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

Bhmyers wrote:
Im not sure on the graphics, Im not a fan. I will probably go with a two tone, L380 (Turquoise) and off white, with a deluxe package on it.

Wow, what a beautiful bus! That original Velvet green looks absolutely amazing and seems to be in a incredible good condition by the look of the pictures. Those graphics will surely come off and that paint could quite easily be brought back to life with the right care and treatment. There is a lot of knowledge here on the Samba about the right methods and procedures.
Would be a (big) shame to replace that factory original first paint with something non original when it is still this good, and the truck surely will lose (a lot of) value by doing so. The same goes for those drop-gates, they look fantastic with just a little bit of honest patina from 60 years of use. Some people would give a kidney for a Single cab in this condition.
Just my 2 cents... Wink

Last edited by ddutch on Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bhmyers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

ddutch wrote:
Bhmyers wrote:

Wow, what a beautiful bus! That original Velvet green looks absolutely amazing and seems to be in a incredible good condition by the look of the pictures. Those graphics will surely come off and that paint could quite easily be brought back to life with the right care and treatment. There is a lot of knowledge here on the Samba about the right methods and procedures.
Would be a (big) shame to replace that factory original first paint with something non original when it is still this good, and the truck surely will lose (a lot of) value by doing so. Some people would give kidney for a Single cab in this condition. Just my 2 cents... Wink

I agree for the most part, the problem is that it has a lot of cancer that you really cant see in the pictures. The back corners are gone, the lift gates are bad and the rocker panels below the treasure chest are in bad shape. The left side rear panel is the same, after I fix, repair or replace sheet metal it will need to be repainted.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

For the most part it looks incredibly good on those pictures. I reckon it to be among the best busses still in original condition. You would be amazed how nice and good that paint can look after some careful and gentle polish work.
Yes, I can see there is rust on the rockers, the bed and probably on some other spots too. The edges of the gates look a little bit rough on the inside, but it's a 60 years old working tool, so what would you expect?

If it was mine I would take a very careful aproach. I would gather as much information as needed and make a good plan. Only do partial repairs and then some paint blending, to preserve as much of the original metal and that lovely paint as possible. Surface rust can perfectly be treated and removed with CLR. A truck in that condition would cost about 30 till 40000 dollars here in Europe, if you could find one.
If you cant stand the look of any rust spots, I would suggest to look for a non original bus in worse condition to restore and leave this one as it is.
70bus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: New Single Cab Project Reply with quote

That doesn’t look like much needs replacing at all - I suggest you look up a few of the 65 single cabs on the project/builds section and see what they usually look like! I mean, could all be bondo, but it looks nicer than most.
"If Von Dutch was alive, he'd walk in there with a pistol and shoot these people."
-Robert Williams
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: