Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix top vent lever defrost cable
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wpicotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Fix top vent lever defrost cable Reply with quote

Greetings --

A while back, the cable that controls the windshield defrost vent bent, rendering the control useless. This was OK for a time because enough airflow got through, but this has changes and I need to do the repair.

I guess I have to pull the dash -- found plenty of explanations on how to go about this, but nothing on replacing vent control wires.

Maybe it's all straightforward, but if you've been here / done that and know of anything to be aware of, please let me know.

Thanks
1987 Vanagon
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix top vent lever defrost cable Reply with quote

wildthings' suggestion is worth doing. mine have been great since doing that.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3547502#3547502

if you have not done the heater box reseal, that is so very worth it too. now the air goes where i want it.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Fix top vent lever defrost cable Reply with quote

If you remove the ash tray on the dash and also remove the instrument cluster, you can usually get sufficient access to that cable. I say "usually" because some people, myself included, have big, clumsy hands that would make Bigfoot blush. I get my wife to assist in such cases with her normal hominid hands.
wpicotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix top vent lever defrost cable Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'll try the "easy" way first and if that doesn't work (not holding my breath), I'll pull the dash. Might be worth doing that all the same to seal the heater box, as currently my pedal foot gets nice and roasty on hot days.

Can anyone confirm that this is the correct cable for the top (defrost) control lever? As best I can tell, it is but I've gotten conflicting answers from suppliers:

https://www.busdepot.com/251265473a

Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: