Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!!
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

https://jalopnik.com/finally-an-electric-crate-motor-you-can-drop-into-your-1839168140

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think I'm first to share this, but what's everyone think about this as a potential option?
I'm all about that stock air-cooled with those awesome sounds and smells, but there's no future in it. The future is water cooled, or now this?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this conversion a lot. I'd love to be able to drive my bus into the future without worrying whether or not it will be outlawed because of the emissions.

I also love the idea of charging it with solar, so no coal is burned to create the electricity that powers the bus.

That would be awesome.

Thanks for sharing
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

We are planning on converting our bus, only hold back at the moment is the cost of good batteries to have a decent range.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

Almost ten years ago, someone invented a "carbon foam" battery that promised all the benefits of typical lead-acid batteries (Low cost of production, great charge-discharge cycling, recyclable) with the huge added benefit of MUCH less lead (weight) and significantly less sulfation. That was the promise anyway. I don't know if it was fully realized.

Then they disappeared for many years. Naturally, I suspected a big oil conspiracy Smile

Looks like they are finally actually available:
http://fireflyenergy.com

Link

When I read about these back in the day, it looked like a game-changer for electric vehicles. The battery conversation always been a balancing act between weight, performance and cost, with no technology succeeding all three fronts... until this. Hopefully. I haven't researched much since then. But it's worth exploring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

Here is what the owners of DC Solar bought with all that tax money. Probably some bargains here - Oct 26. Shows how much the people who made solar believed in getting rid of gas guzzlers.

https://www.appleauctioneeringco.com/10-26-2019
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

Daverham, always dropping the good stuff. That's really interesting thank you for sharing!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

judging the capabilities of the average DIY guy, I think I am going to invest in caskets and urns. these HV systems WILL kill you if you're not trained.

I think you should do EV if you want. too many cons for most people.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

Interesting, but I wonder what the final turn key price will be after batteries and whatever the hell else is involved in the way of cooling and controllers, etc.....
I could tolerate an electric conversion that didn't require any hacking for a short range "around town" sort of vehicle as long as the final spread out cost could beat the almost $5 a frikki'n gallon we pay here Confused

SGKent wrote:
Here is what the owners of DC Solar bought with all that tax money. Probably some bargains here - Oct 26. Shows how much the people who made solar believed in getting rid of gas guzzlers.

https://www.appleauctioneeringco.com/10-26-2019

Lol!, Hummers, Muscle cars and super inefficient relics, maybe they were stocking up to open a museum? Or just having fun with Uncle Sam's checkbook?

I hope Kevin Sharpe and Bluebus don't derail this thread too soon Wink

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
HarryFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

If I was going to make the effort to convert a car, this is it:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.jaguar.com/about-jaguar/jaguar-classic/authentic-cars/e-type-zero.html
Clementine79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

Most electric conversions pay for themselves in gas savings if the vehicle is a daily driver, the cost of electricity is much lower per mile than gas.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
judging the capabilities of the average DIY guy, I think I am going to invest in caskets and urns. these HV systems WILL kill you if you're not trained. .

Woooo..., I never considered the stupid backyard hack factor, too bad the "watch this" videos will be so short and non explosive, at least gasoline offers a fireball or massive explosion, a very small arc and a guy falling down dead from a touch in the wrong spot is so boring.
It'll be interesting to see how shop accident causes change in the near future.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

I wonder how it will compare to the Evwest stuff?
https://www.evwest.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=40&osCsid=t9jvgmtjhdbhsf29ggqf9pefu1

Personally I’d like to go with a Tesla conversion but that would be for my Ghia.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

you're on the samba so do it oldskool:
forklift motor/controller.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

The carbon foam battery?.....one of many that are similar. Not squashed by government. Simply not manufacturable for useful cost.

Actually thin film printed layer battery blows the foam technology away. That is already out there over the past 5-7 years. Mostly industrial traction. Think fork lift batteries....with 50% less weight (which is actually a problem because you have to add in lead weights)....60% faster charge time and 2.5X the amp-hour output. Slow to grow because there has to be a market PULL not push.

As for solar charging the batteries in the engine listed in this post?.....😂🤣😃......not in less than 24-48 hours with at least 100 square feet of the best AEROSPACE level (meaning not available for anything you could possibly afford)....gallium based cells.....which are not used commercially ....only on satellites and mars probes.

The BEST commercially available cells ...Sun powers C60 @ 23% efficiency and LG and first solar coming in around 20% efficiency......and power output on a 4' x 6' panel putting out 290-320 watts......a usable charge speed....when you have sun.....will take about 4-6 panels and hours of time. ASurere you going to carry that around with you....zet them up at truck stops.....like the guy in the "Martian" movie? 😁
Sure....you can do it......if you have a home solar installation and a storage battery system. A standard pretty efficient electric home of about 1800 sq ft......needs a minumum of 6-7,000 watts constant......unless you cut everything off you are not using. Thats about 24 of the best panels out there pushing 290 watts per panel (about 300 with a 1% converter loss and then line loses).......quite respectable actually!

I am the biggest solar fan in these forums and have worked and somewhat still do....inside of the solar industry. Solar reached grid parity with coal and natural gas in June of 2009.

Sadly.....it is being widely misused and is poorly understood by those who think its the silver bullet. Maybe when gen 5 quantum dot, dye based cells come out of the NREL lads and into production and......we will see a change.

However....and this is the misuse part ......if you have solar at home.....and still have your power connected to the grid instead of a battery.....your power is just as dirty as a Chinese coal plant ......something sadly I have current knowledge of....as I just got off a plane from Shanghai an hour ago and I'm still hacking it up! 😆

No....we need high yield, conformal battery technology long before we need an electric VW conversion kit.

Now......a natural gas conversion kit.....Im interested in! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
judging the capabilities of the average DIY guy, I think I am going to invest in caskets and urns. these HV systems WILL kill you if you're not trained. .

Woooo..., I never considered the stupid backyard hack factor, too bad the "watch this" videos will be so short and non explosive, at least gasoline offers a fireball or massive explosion, a very small arc and a guy falling down dead from a touch in the wrong spot is so boring.
It'll be interesting to see how shop accident causes change in the near future.
. With low voltage connectors INSIDE the HV connectors that send connection status back to the Conductors/ ECUs that control the system, it’s safer than you think since removal or disconnection allows the ECU to turn off or open the Conductors to isolate the HV battery very quickly if someone just reaches up and unplugs the Orange HV connectors.
Or an accident.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

I saw a Tesla charging on I 20 the other day out in the middle of nowhere the other day and I have to admit, I chuckled a bit. Just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. A really expensive car with a true carbon footprint like Sasquach, unable to move under it's own power for 8 hours. What a scam. I think anyone with any sense should be able to surmise there is some work to be done here.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
I saw a Tesla charging on I 20 the other day out in the middle of nowhere the other day and I have to admit, I chuckled a bit. Just about the stupidest thing I've ever seen. A really expensive car with a true carbon footprint like Sasquach, unable to move under it's own power for 8 hours. What a scam. I think anyone with any sense should be able to surmise there is some work to be done here.

I watched a Jaguar I-Pace get towed into a Walgreens parking lot to be hooked up to a Charge Point charging station. If its battery was really low, that poor owner was going to be there a while.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

us old farts heard it all in our lifetimes. Gasoline, Jet turbine that will burn anything, diesel is the future, hydrogen, hydrogen fuel cell, natural gas, bio-fuel, Peanut oil, high speed regenerative flywheels, 100% ethanol, electric, even nuclear powered cars and trucks. Each time something made it impractical - except for gasoline, gasoline/ethanol flex fuel, and limited diesel. Gasoline contains many different molecules so it is a generic term for combinations of those molecules.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

I found this interesting. Full on westy currently on tour around N America.
Lots of good points on power, cooling, charging, suspension, weight etc.
kinda makes the Suby swaps seem antiquated. I’d call this swap a rough sketch of what’s coming.
No more oil changes, valve adjustments, fuel lines, cooling issues, tune ups, noise etc. Always leaving home with a “full” tank and plenty of power. But then maybe that takes all the fun out of it?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723737
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Drop in Electric Crate Motor??!! Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:

I think I'm first to share this, but what's everyone think about this as a potential option?
I'm all about that stock air-cooled with those awesome sounds and smells, but there's no future in it. The future is water cooled, or now this?

There used to be an electric-converted Bug in Portsmouth, just on the other side of the Maplewood overpass going over the Bypass. Guy sad he could make it to work @Data General ( the area of the Layfette Rd Walmart) but not much further. Used to see it at Yokens every Friday night when I worked there in college. Permanently in 4th, took the shifter out and had a console with a ton f gauge that today could be replaced with a $40 ‘droid tablet. How times have changed.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: