Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

85 Vanagon running on 3 cylinders
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: 85 Vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Last night the vanagon just died on me lost all power wouldn't stay cranked like it was starving for fuel if you gave it gas it just died.

Towed it home swapped all plugs, rotor cap, distributor cap, spark plugs and it's running better with a definite dead cylinder. What could be the cause time for a new head?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

You've confirmed a healthy spark at all four cylinders?

If yes, pull the spark plugs and do a simple compression test, see what that says.........

If spark is good and compression is good, move on to the injectors........

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

"Cranking" is when the starter is turning the engine over before the engine fires up. "Wouldn't stay running" would indicate you've got a running issue. "Wouldn't crank" would indicate you have an ignition or starting issue.

Verify you have solid spark at the cyl that's not firing. You can do this by using a spare known good plug and plugging it into the wire that goes to whichever cyl. Ground it against the case while you crank the motor.

If spark is good, like dj said, check your compression, then if comp is good, test injector.

You don't need a new head until you need a new head. One step at a time.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
... it's running better with a definite dead cylinder...

How did you determine that one cylinder is 'dead'?
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Spark is good to all, verified one is dead by pulling wires one at a time and after one was pulled nothing changed, swapped wires for it and still that cylinder is dead and not firing.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

I hate to be a stickler, but if people are asking for free assistance from our helpful forum posters (which many people here on the Samba, myself included, are am happy to provide), then those asked to help should not have to de-code the question first before giving their assistance.

Here is what the OP wrote:

"Last night the vanagon just died on me lost all power wouldn't stay cranked like it was starving for fuel if you gave it gas it just died.

Towed it home swapped all plugs, rotor cap, distributor cap, spark plugs"

Here is what I think the OP meant:

"Last night my vanagon just stopped running. The engine lost all power. When re-starting, it wouldn't stay running. When I tried to re-start it, it ran briefly like it was starving for fuel. When idling, and then pressing on the accelerator, it just died.

I got it towed it home and replaced rotor, distributor cap, spark plugs. This did not help. What is wrong with my Vanagon?"

Frankly, I don't know what to do about a Vanagon that "wouldn't stay cranked". For a Meth addict that "wouldn't stay cranked", I would say, it's time for rehab, but for a Vanagon, I don't know.

Sign me, "Happy to help, but not a code-breaker".
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I hate to be a stickler, but if people are asking for free assistance from our helpful forum posters (which many people here on the Samba, myself included, are am happy to provide), then those asked to help should not have to de-code the question first before giving their assistance.

Here is what the OP wrote:

"Last night the vanagon just died on me lost all power wouldn't stay cranked like it was starving for fuel if you gave it gas it just died.

Towed it home swapped all plugs, rotor cap, distributor cap, spark plugs"

Here is what I think the OP meant:

"Last night my vanagon just stopped running. The engine lost all power. When re-starting, it wouldn't stay running. When I tried to re-start it, it ran briefly like it was starving for fuel. When idling, and then pressing on the accelerator, it just died.

I got it towed it home and replaced rotor, distributor cap, spark plugs. This did not help. What is wrong with my Vanagon?"

Frankly, I don't know what to do about a Vanagon that "wouldn't stay cranked". For a Meth addict that "wouldn't stay cranked", I would say, it's time for rehab, but for a Vanagon, I don't know.

Sign me, "Happy to help, but not a code-breaker".

Indeed you are correct thank you for your time decoding, I won't let it happen again lol. Was a tad drunk when I typed this out on the phone.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
You've confirmed a healthy spark at all four cylinders?

If yes, pull the spark plugs and do a simple compression test, see what that says.........

If spark is good and compression is good, move on to the injectors........

Dave

Sadly I don't have a compressor I think my girlfriend's neighbor is bringing one, at least ol beluga made it on a 6 day road trip before leaving us stranded after a date last night!

I'm leaning towards injectors but my neighbor said could be the valves.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Quote:
Sadly I don't have a compressor

are you sure that you need a compressor to do a compression test?
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
Sadly I don't have a compressor

are you sure that you need a compressor to do a compression test?

Mistakes were made indeed, but he's bringing the stuff tomorrow hopefully.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

You don't need a compressor for a compression test, you only need a compression tester.

A tool that you hold in, or screws into the spark plug hole. As the engine is cranked it measures how effectively the piston compresses the air in the cylinder.

You repeat this four times and compare the results.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

This is like watching kale smolder and wondering what the funny smell is.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Lol I know I messed up and combined two things into one I was going to use the compressor for checking for other things my fault.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

No worries, you were probably thinking of a cylinder leak down test which does use compressed air.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Lol I know I messed up and combined two things into one I was going to use the compressor for checking for other things my fault.

Sorry about my snark. Hope it is something minor in that cylinder ,but if not, we are here for you on the first engine drop!
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Another easy test is to swap the injector harness plugs. See if the miss moves.
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
No worries, you were probably thinking of a cylinder leak down test which does use compressed air.

Dave

Did a compression test and the cylinder showed no compression and the others showed 110.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Did a compression test and the cylinder showed no compression and the others showed 110.

Pull the rocker cover and see what there is to see. You can also pull the rocker arms and see if the valve stem heights are all the same.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

jbhurley92 wrote:
djkeev wrote:

Dave

Well, the good news is that you know why you have a miss, now..... why do you have zero compression?

I don't know what your abilities are to go farther?
An easy test is to get that cylinder (which one is it?) at firing TDC (top dead center) and pressurize the cylinder with compressed air.
You then listen/feel for air in any of three places......
Out of the oil fill cap = rings = upper end rebuild
Out of the exhaust = exhaust valve burnt or hanging open = simple valve job
Out of the intake (remove Air Flow Meter) = bad / hung up intake valve = simple valve job.

You pressurize the cylinder using a hose screwed into the spark plug hole, this hose might be the obe you probably used to check the compression.
Instead of connecting the gauge, you plug in compressed air.

This is a simplified explanation but hopefully you get the idea.......

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
jbhurley92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 85 Vanagon running on 3 cylinders Reply with quote

Yeah, that's why I was trying to find a compressor since I know my luck lol. At least she made it through the trip before she died on us, I'm already tempted to snatch this motor out and rebuild it completely at this point, let's hope for a valve job probably just going to go ahead and yank the heads off and see if it's a valve.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: