Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Bought this car with a friend 11 years ago and it is finally time to tear into it. It is amazingly original and solid for a car that has sat outside since 1978. Two major problems I am going to have to deal with are seized solid door hinges and a dented roof. As well the decklid hinges are both broken.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Me like! It would make a good patina ride ay?

Edit- i just realized that is had a repaint. Sorry.

Last edited by Chickensoup on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stetoppingphoto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Id have to paint it back that original beige brown, looks a very straight car.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It is Ultramaroon, a rare colour and extra rare on a Canadian custom.

Don
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Was that M94-lockable deck lid handle the only option on the car?

UltraMaroon is BEAUTIFUL!!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Ram protection bumpers as well.

Don
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

werent gas heater and ram protection in the regular 'canadian' mcode or was that just on later vehicles?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

AFAIK ram protection was an option until 1956 model year. Gas heaters were always optional on beetles. Type 2 and 3 I dunno. I've only had one beetle with a working gas heater and it burned as much gas as the engine.

Don
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don,

School me on Canadian Custom cars...do they have a mix of standard and deluxe parts? I don't see any window chrome, but has trim on the body. Cable or juice brakes? And a standard steering wheel... This will be a cool car to build! And...Ultra Maroon!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
banana split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Damn! Cool Bug. You rarely find them like this anymore. And is that a Barndoor in the background?
1964 Chop Top
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

banana split wrote:
Damn! Cool Bug. You rarely find them like this anymore. And is that a Barndoor in the background?

My thoughts exactly!!!

I have a 54 in process right now. If you need any info or pictures, hit me up. Always willing to share what I know. I will be following for sure!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

You should name this one the peach bug
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Don,

School me on Canadian Custom cars...do they have a mix of standard and deluxe parts? I don't see any window chrome, but has trim on the body. Cable or juice brakes? And a standard steering wheel... This will be a cool car to build! And...Ultra Maroon!!!

I put this thread together a while back to sort out the differences

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444733
type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Seems as though this is the same bug from 2010 post

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/483188.jpg
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Yes! Good spot. September 2008 we dragged the car out of someone's front yard in Sperling Manitoba. It is finally going to get the love it deserves.

Quote:
And is that a Barndoor in the background?

Ha ha. John told me no more pictures of his other cars.

So my '54 has 3 serious problems to sort out.

1: the passenger door hinges are seized solid, they do not budge. I'll be looking for suggestions how to fix that

2: The decklid hinges are both seized and broken

3: the choke cable is seized. At the engine end the outer looks rust free but there must be some rusted part. I'll pull the gas tank in the next couple of days and see how the cable looks in the front. I'm hoping it will slide out of the chassis but not putting any money on it.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

BTW ultramaroon in all its glory:

Don
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

You should expect the choke cable not to cooperate. It is a steel cable in a steel wound sheath inside a steel guide tube and is likely rusted solid. Get up to the front once you get the tank out and start dribbling Kroil down the tube. Give it a year of this before using much force. Ultimately you will probably get the center wire out of the sheath, but the sheath may still be frozen inside the guide tube. You may need to run a new guide tube along the side of the tunnel inside the passenger compartment under the mat/carpet unless you want to cut access holes in the tunnel and install a new guide tube.

On the hinges, heat them up with a torch and get some penetrant in there. Do not use force to try to get the hinges moving--the rust is stronger than the hinge in some cases and you will bend the hinges or the door. Would be better to borrow/rent a hinge pin press and press the hinge pins out in place after using heat. Then you can get the doors off, ream the hinges and either reinstall the pins or install new pins, or install mirror pins.

On the decklid, no suggestions if the engine is still in the car. If not, you could get under and unbolt from beneath to get the decklid off. Then again use the heat/penetrant approach until you can free the hinges.
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Major Woody has it to a TEEon the hinges. Heat and penetrant, several times over, then the press. Repeat several times before attempting any force. It will give in in the end.
There is a 54 Ultramaroon in Calgary somewhere. I had a look at it in about 2012 when it came up for sale. Didn't move soon enough and it was gone. It is a very original, very complete car, numbers matching, no rust, been in a shed since it quit running in the 70's but not seized. In someone's garage, not known in the local VW community. These are 2 pics I have...

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It is amazing the way this car is coming apart. I took the gas tank out and tugged on the choke cable, a little force and then it slid right out. Once it was on the bench the inner came free and went back and forth no problem. On the problem of the hinges, I have bought the hinge pin tool
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2252365
so I am stoked to see how it will work. I will have to drill the screws out tho, they are stuck solid. I have done this before and it works nicely. Once the hinges are off the screws turn out easily. I tried heat and an impact driver and managed to get 2 out but the rest are not moving. Pictures tonight.

Don
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

That's awesome Don! I just removed the choke cable from my Black 57' oval...came out just like yours. Also removed one from the donor car, came out even easier. It's the little things in life... Laughing
Have you tried an impact driver on your door screws before drilling them out? I soak the crap out of them from underneath the hood. Let them sit for a few days ...I soak them a few times during that. Then I hit them with a little heat on the screw head before smacking them with the impact driver. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 34

Jump to: